How's your day?

Yesterday, Thursday. I woke up feeling rough.  Sweating, headache and visual disturbances.... probably Migraine related I thought.. but I did a Lateral Flow Test to be sure.  Negative. Phew!!

Felt better as the day went on and spent all day in the garden.  Wall to wall sunshine.  Lovely.

I decided to have a can of Heinz Mulligatawney Soup for lunch. I like it. I took my soup into the garden and as I prepared to scoff it.. a particularly crazed wasp began buzzing around my head. I put down the soup on the end of the sun lounger upon which I was seated and tried to ignore the wasp.. but it persisted..so I resorted to waving my hands about a bit. Next I knew.. the wasp flew around my head and then nose dived into my soup. Impressive! I can see the headlines. "World's first Kamikaze Wasp Species named Vespa Kamikaziensis Stupidus". Naturally..the soup being hot.. the wasp promptly expired. What was it thinking?
Whatever... I scooped it out, disposed of it and then continued with my lunch.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Poor little wasp!  At least it was a relatively quick death (I hope)

On a vaguely related subject, as we were driving home on Tuesday, we passed a ‘protest camp’ near Huntingdon outside a puppy farm where beagles are being bred for experimental testing in a lab.  It was a country road and the camp was spread out for quite a way with a lot of people holding banners about ‘puppy murderers’. It was well organised with portaloos and camper vans.  
I hate the idea of testing on animals but if it’s testing new lifesaving drugs, maybe (just maybe) it’s acceptable?  

I expect the puppies are treated well - I hope so….

• Like 1

Sorry, Margie but testing on animals is never acceptable in my book!  Sentient beings who have done nothing wrong being subjected to all manner of horrors to benefit the two legged pests who are destroying the planet and breeding seemingly uncontrollably. Testing being carried out on convicted murderers, paedophiles, drug dealers...fine by me.

• Like 1

.Trouble is Jill, that's when the do-gooders come out of the woodwork and start shouting about 'Human Rights', and invasion of personal space. I've read, in some cases, inmates on Death row have volunteered to undergo some trials. Their reason being, they've got nothing to lose. NB, not necessarily my opinion !

As ever.. though not completely sure..I'm inclined to a sort of middle path.  Much depends upon how animals are treated..what they are being tested with/for etc. 

One other small point.  Many animals are now pretty much dependent upon man for their continued existence and health. So.. while most 'wild' animals would no doubt benefit....All those cute little pussycats and doggies which we imprison and anthropomorphise for our amusement, would be in deep doo-doos in short order were we to suddenly disappear.

I wonder if any of the protestors feel strongly enough to stop using their medication...

Levothyroxine - tested on Dogs, rats and mice

Crestor, sold under various names is the biggest selling statin - Tested on rats, beagle dogs, mice, cats, monkeys, rabbits

Nexium, popular treatment for stomach problems etc. - tested on rats, beagles, mice and rabbits...

The list goes on and on, we have to be careful here not to be hypocritical. We can't claim the moral high ground and at the same time benefit from animal tested medicines

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I feel the same as you about this Brew - it is a very difficult problem though.  I certainly wouldn’t approve of animal testing done for cosmetics or other non essential stuff.

I agree with you too Col, in some ways….. our pampered pets wouldn’t last long if humans weren’t there to feed them and take them to the vets when they are ill or injured.  I know my cats catch birds and mice to supplement the food we give them but   that supply wouldn’t last long with all the cats round here!  It would truly be survival of the fittest as all the unneutered animals battled for survival probably  suffering painful injuries in the process.

I’m in favour  of people volunteering  for drug testing but not criminals being forced to do so.

just my opinion…

Yes, it bothers me enormously that the levothyroxine I take has been tested on animals, to the extent that I continually think about not taking it any longer. I have rejected other medications in the past for the same reason. My life is no more important than theirs.

Please don't let anything I say, or anyone else for that matter, convince you to stop. The reult could be serious.

Animals bred for the specific purpose of testing drugs. To a lesser extent but in the same context, the breeding of bulls in Spain for bullfight. I thought it was barbaric, until a Spaniard pointed out to me that those bulls owe their very existence to that sport(?) They're bred for that and they are revered(spelling) by their owners.

(Just saying is all).

I'm not the type of person who is influenced by what other people say. The worst that could happen if I ceased taking levothyroxine is that my body would die. That doesn't frighten me.

Bull fighting, bear baiting, Fox hunting, cock/dog fighting? The  pastime of moronic barbarians wbo, no matter how they try to justify their actions, are beneath contempt in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I definitely agree with your last paragraph, Jill.  Inflicting pain on any living thing just for pleasure is always wrong, I believe

• Like 2

To kill for so called sport.......ie Bull Fighting....even Grouse shooting is abominable.......man doesn't own the World.....i don't even believe in Killing for food......we can live without meat......

• Like 2

A friend of mine used to be the secretary of the South Nott's Hunt. She used to hunt the fox until the practice was outlawed. She was a member of a 'caring profession'; a nursing sister. In her retirement she has been administering Covid vaccines. 

Don't shoot the messenger. It's not my opinion.

I don't want to die ! I'll keep taking the Levothyroxine if you don't mind, along with all my other medication.

• Like 1

Need a new black suit.........old one about had it........usually go in town and have a good look round some decent Tailors.......however don't wear a suit very often and sadly when i do it must be black........

So thought i'd go into Bulwell Matalan and get one not costing a fortune........after looking at all their stock decided ''Get back into town''......

Anyway thought while i'm here i'll get a nice shirt......again nothing that i fancied.........so then went in a charity shop and bought a ''Snood'' for a quid....Coffee in ''Jerohms'' nice chat with an old Pal.......so morning not so bad after all...........

13 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Anyway thought while i'm here i'll get a nice shirt......again nothing that i fancied.........so then went in a charity shop and bought a ''Snood'' for a quid...

I only started buying clothing from charity shops a few years ago, but I've had jackets and shoes from them and it's all decent quality stuff ..... and you know you've contributed to a good cause.

• Like 4

Ben, I think you're the last person who would need a snood!

I've disposed of no end of stuff lately to charity shops. Always, in my case, animal charities and Age UK. They're delighted to accept the items. I hate waste. This way, things are recycled and raise a bit for good causes. Everyone is suited.

• Like 1

Mrs Col is away..so I'm having another late night vinyl session.  Nanci Griffith again.  Her music is really suited to late night listening and her first album is sounding better than ever.

Does anyone else find that their music system sounds better late at night?

It's a phenomenon often reported by hi fi nerds like me.  Various theories exist as to reasons.

-Less 'ambient' noise from the outside world.

-Less heavy machinery etc., running off the power grid, resulting in 'cleaner' mains electricity.

-Similar one.. less demand so 'leccy' more likely to be at correct voltage.

-There could of course be all kinds of psychological and biological reasons..to do with 'body clocks' etc.

-Then there is booze.. and 'certain substances'..

Who knows..?