How's your day?

….and here you are, Ben, as chirpy and bright as you always were!  I think it would take more than a laryngectomy to drag you down for long.  I know there were some dark days along the way but you’ve made it…. Well done x

• Like 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

There could of course be all kinds of psychological and biological reasons..to do with 'body clocks' etc.

For various reasons I would rule out any theory that blames the electrical supply and go with the above. 

It's the end of the day, all chores are done and it's relaxation time. A late listening session is I suspect rarely a spur of the moment thing. It's planned and anticipated so the listeners 'mood' is likely to be right for appreciating the music, plus the pleasure audiophiles gain from the ritual of operating high-end equipment.

• Like 1

You are doing well Benj. Your recovery and frame of mind, are brilliant and an inspiration to anyone facing similar illnesses. Keep going in the right direction Mi Duck, and when my latest health scarey problem is better I will look forward to seeing you and the other Nottstalgians again.x

• Like 5
20 hours ago, radfordred said:

Deadman’s shoes :Shock:

You can’t beat crisp brand new fresh out the bag

Bought some lovely Italian shoes for £30..a few years ago...in a charity shop up Mapperley top.........the lady who served me more or less told me she knew the man who they belonged to who was deceased........

Best shoes i've ever owned...even had them repaired 3 or 4 years ago..........Danced from Nerja to Nottingham in them.......

Ben is it really 3 yrs ago? It doesn’t seem possible but glad you are getting back to normal and looking good.

As regards to electricity aiding pleasant music listening, I wouldn’t know as I listen to day time music but I have noticed if I do my ironing in the evening it always turns out better and smoother.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Brew said:

For various reasons I would rule out any theory that blames the electrical supply and go with the above. 

It's an interesting one.  As far as I know most solid state stuff runs at about 20 volts, so that the mains is cut from 220v or thereabouts via a transformer.  So as long as there is enough current, you'd imagine that dips in the voltage wouldn't make much difference, assuming voltage regulation is 'correct'. Valve kit of course uses big transformers and carries much higher internal voltages, but so long as trannies can avoid/minimise 'saturation'..it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, though there's little doubt that the mains is often far from being a pure 50Hz AC.and carries all sorts of other 'crud'.. including 'spikes' and digital signals..the question is whether that can 'break through' into the audio circuits of your kit and degrade the sound.  There's no doubt that I used to pick up 'clicks' from the fridge, before I installed a dedicated mains circuit for the hi-fi.

That said, my Innuos Zen Mini music server sounds better with the optional outboard power supply, which is supposedly a 'stiffer' more 'robust' supply than that fitted to the basic unit.  There are two ways of looking at that. One.  It's just a con.  2. The 'basic' power supply is adequate for the 'base model', but the 'better' power supply takes the unit closer to what is delivered by the next model up.. for less money.

I'm no expert but I believe that power supply design can have a big influence on the sound of kit.  Basically all it needs to do is deliver enough current to cope with big 'transient' signals, such as bass thud or whatever... and also to recover quickly.  So.. a lot of designers put in massive capacitors, sometimes 'bypassed' by smaller ones in parallel to deal with alleged stuff going on at higher frequencies.  On an instinctive level.. big capacitors acting as a current 'reservoir', sort of makes sense. Except.. the last amplifier I listened to with massive capacitors etc.. was a Sonneteer model which totally failed to control the 'soundstage' in my system. It produced a massive, but very vague soundstage, with no real information as to where instruments and vocals were located in 'the mix'.  By contrast, the more expensive amp I eventually purchased has a physically much smaller mains transformer and no big capacitors...and yet it is able to cope with all the music I throw at it without 'wallowing' or ever sounding like it is running out of steam.

15 hours ago, Brew said:

It's the end of the day, all chores are done and it's relaxation time. A late listening session is I suspect rarely a spur of the moment thing. It's planned and anticipated so the listeners 'mood' is likely to be right for appreciating the music, plus the pleasure audiophiles gain from the ritual of operating high-end equipment.

Partly true I think Brew.. though my late evening sessions are rarely planned.  I snatch the opportunity when I can.  There's no doubt that the 'ritual', especially with playing vinyl.. adds to the pleasure.. but for me the ritual happens whatever the time of day.

Putting it another way.. I often have music sessions in the afternoon..especially in the winter months.. but there's no doubt in my mind that the late evening sessions always sound better.

An LFD Zero MkV. Simple six input integrated amplifier with about 60 watts RMS per channel.  LFD is a company created by Dr Malcolm Hawksford, Professor of Audio Engineering at university of Essex, and Dr Richard Bews.  LFD stands for 'Low Fuzzy Distortion', 'Fuzzy Distortion being an effect seemingly identified by Hawksford.  I wouldn't know. 

All I know is that the LFD is the best sounding integrated amp I could find for my budget..according to my ears, and in my system. LFD is a low volume..almost 'cottage industry' company which doesn't advertise and sells via a very small dealer base.  However..very highly regarded world wide.

Link here to the next product up in the range.. a bit out of my price range but I've had one here and it is even better..basically offering 'more of everything'., but mostly the link includes  lot of info on Hawksfords thinking about audio kit. My amp is identical in appearance except for a less deep case.

https://dougbradyhifi.com/collections/lfd/products/lfd-ncse

I am with the biological/psychological school of thought on improved hearing late on.  I have definitely noticed that a comfortable volume level on the TV during the day is too loud for me in late evening (and I don't live in a particularly noisy street/area).  Maybe our ancestors evolved more sensitive hearing (or a different frequency response) as the daytime wanes to be more aware of predators?

• Like 1

I don't have a tv but I'm highly sensitive to noise and if I have the radio on or CD, I have it very low, so much so that other people comment that they can't hear it!  Many years ago, my hearing was tested as part of a medical examination and I was told I could hear unusual frequencies! The doctor said I should have been a dog! Cheek!

I hate loud noises. Children screaming, shouting, fireworks, cars backfiring, etc. It's painful.

Now, I'm going to dig up that Bonio I buried last night!

• Like 2

Sounds like the other Jill in Canada Jill she was told when she was very young that her hearing was sensitive sounds exactly like you are all Jills the same?  Going to put my hearing aid in to listen to the news.

• Like 1

This morning in Costa Coffee'' Bulwell.........

Lady...I know your face.......

Me......I know yours

Lady...Did you go to Padstow ?

Me......I did...and you ?

Lady.....youre (my name)

Me.........yes and you are (her name)

Amazing 'bump into'....Not seen since 1960 but still recognised each other....Had 10 minute chat..made each other laugh with a couple of memories...then she had to go...Life is full of surprises...

What a lovely encounter...............

• Like 1

Got me new suit this morning......crossed the border into Derbyshire and went to Moss Bros. at Mcarthur Glen retail Park...only a ten minute drive away..................

I'd like a bit of freedom CF, think I might have a word wiv me parole officer. They might even take me tag off for a couple of hours. :rolleyes:

• Like 1