• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

When I was teaching, my rule was, go before morning and afternoon registration, at break times and at lunch time. In other words, go in your own time and not in mine. 

Teachers soon suss out those who ask for the loo in order to avoid work. Parents will usually advise of any child with a problem.  Reception/Year 1 children are always likely to have accidents, so you need to watch body language closely. However, children of that age have not usually worked out that going to the toilets is a good way to avoid work! Older ones have!

If it's as stated then it's outrageous. Some bloody jobsworth clown getting above themselves...

What can they do if the kids simply get up and go?

Re: TVs.  Jim on the ball again there..

That said I've never knowingly bought any Sony product, because in my view their reputation is not deserved. It's just a sort of urban myth in the same way that many people aspire to Bang and Olufsen for hi-fi, or Kenwood for in car audio, or Technics (often mis-spelled 'Techniques') for more basic home audio.  The sad thing is that they are all capable of making good kit..but it doesn't follow that every thing they make is good. You really should buy kit on demonstration and not be seduced by reputation.

When it comes to TVs and video/DVD recorders, I always liked Panasonic..but they seem to have gone 'off the boil' in recent years.

My current 42" TV is a Samsung and was passed to me by my Sister in Law, who bought a bigger telly with 'through the screen sound'.  It does work rather well, from memory of the last time I was at their place before lockdowns 1.2and 3.  In turn I passed my 39" Panasonic to my youngest daughter.

The Samsung has good enough sound on its own, though I'd much sooner integrate it with my stereo system.  (Mrs Col won't have that) So.. I have a sound bar which I haven't tried with it yet.. also a 'subwoofer', which I don't have space for.. and a 'soundbase', which is OK..ish...if you fancy a bit of 'boom bang a bang' when watching an action movie. 'Hi-Fi..it definitely is not.

But.. this is 'How's Your Day?' So...

I got up early again ( by my standards), because I wanted to slightly prune two Flowerng Cherry Trees.  This involved me setting up my step ladder on the grass.. with boards under it to avoid sinking.. and using my 'Big Lopper'..  (Stop sniggering at the back!!)

I still couldn't reach certain bits, but a neighbour loaned me his even bigger 'Extendable Lopper', and success ensued. In this case..size was indeed, everything...

By the time I'd done all that.. the knees were giving out for the day...and.. as I was carrying 'loppings' down to the green bin at the side of the house, my left leg ...which doesn't bend and lift too well.. 'snagged' on the step ladders I'd temporarily parked there..causing me exquisite pain, and a fall.  Somehow I landed without sustaining further injury..and was picking myself up and cursing with pain.. as Mrs Col appeared.

She insisted on 'helping' me by spending twenty minutes putting the step ladder back in the garage.. gingerly picking her way through the chaos in there.. while I stood.. desperately wanting to get the weight off of my knees... but forced to wait in case she too.. took a fall.

Finally, I was able to collapse onto my sun lounger..where I pretty much stayed until tea time.

I have until now omitted to mention that yesterday.. while I was cutting the grass.. some sort of bug.. almost certainly a biting fly of the Tabidae (Horse Fly) group....or the 'Simulidae'.. (Black Fly) group, got me on the left ankle.  It wasn't so bad yesterday.  Today it is itching like a very itchy thing.  Worse than any bite I've ever had from the Common or Garden 'Clegg'.  The only thing which has calmed it down a bit.. is 'GengiGel'..which is meant for toothache.. but contains 20% Benzocaine and numbs everything for a while.  A glass or two of vino helps too.

And I still haven't cut the front grass....

• Like 1

Even though my gardening is done vicariousy through such posts I'm quite exhausted by it all and feel quite deserving of sampling one of the two bottles of beer I have left... keep up the good work but try not to cripple yourself please - I still have one bottle left...     thumbsup

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

That said I've never knowingly bought any Sony product,

I swore off Sony products in the days where every cable that you needed to connect to any Sony product, TV, Stereo system, camcorders and even cameras was a special Sony cable and cost a small fortune when compared to more universal cables.

Having said that the first tv we bought in OZ (1975) was a Sony Trinitron colour TV in a cabinet with like a sideways roller door that you could close so it just looked like a piece of furniture when not in use. We never had any problems with it, you could not kill it. It only died through obsolescence.

5 hours ago, Brew said:

If it's as stated then it's outrageous. Some bloody jobsworth clown getting above themselves...

What can they do if the kids simply get up and go?

And of course.. whilst there may be a few who will 'take the piss'. I'd hate to think that any girl is prevented from dealing with her own hygeine by some cretin with a badge. Lads will.. (But should not need to..) find a wall.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Brew said:

Even though my gardening is done vicariousy through such posts I'm quite exhausted by it all and feel quite deserving of sampling one of the two bottles of beer I have left... keep up the good work but try not to cripple yourself please - I still have one bottle left...     thumbsup

To paraphrase somebody or other... " Gerritdahnyerneckmiduck"

I shall now attempt to climb the South Col (no pun intended) of our stairs......

Bed time.

Not quite hows your day but hows your last few days. The weather here is still too warm for september and is very humid. Friday I met a friend for coffee and only wore light clothing . In the evening I started coughing and couldnt stop. I hoped it would go away as I have a tendacy to bronchitis

( which I havent had for years). The following day I started with a nebulation treatment that Ive always used but this time it didnt work. I felt worse and then developed a cold. Coughing and sneezing in abundance.

Nothing was working until Monday when my husband called our dr who gave me an antibiotic and to continue with nebulation. Meanwhile my husband went to fetch the prescription I started coughing and couldnt stop, I couldnt get my breathe before it started again. The more i coughed and the more I couldnt breathe I got so frightened which only made it worse. To get some relief I rushed to the bathroom and turned the cold water tap on full and started trying to take more breaths. That didnt work so eventuall got the nebuliser filled with water which didnt help either. Eventually it calmed down much to my relief but it left me very wary to continue breathing which of course I had to do but made very short slow breaths. Ive had another bout this morning but not half so bad. Ive got a big pack of honey sweets that help to keep everything in check. Funnily enough though I havent been coughing at night time.

Ive had some bad bouts of bronchitis in the past but this has been the worst. I think its about 22 yrs since the last one only have had light attacks in the last few years.

So now when I go out I will take a light jacket in case I feel cold. This weather is unbelievable.

• Like 2

Nonna, I agree it is scary when you cough so much you can hardly breathe.  Keep warm, rest and keep taking the tablets xx

• Like 1

What a difference a day makes. :Shock: Feel very different today. All medication apart from cough syrup has finished . Last week a friend gave me 3 large pumpkins, not the round type but like large cucumbers with a bulb on the end. Ive peeled and chopped them and put them in the freezer ready for when the weather is a bit cooler for soup.

Its still very warm here though.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, nonnaB said:

not the round type but like large cucumbers with a bulb on the end.

NonnaB are these the ones? (photo from Wikipedia)

Cucurbita moschata Butternut 2012 G2.jpg

Called Butternut squash around most of the world  but here in OZ and NZ are known as butternut pumpkin.

Great for roasting and makes the best soup with a sweetish nutty taste. Or are they the type called Black Peanut?

• Like 1

Tomatoes pretty much finished here now.. but the Cucumbers.. an outdoor variety called 'Marketmore'...are still doing well. They only get to 6" or so, but have a lovely flavour.

Up with the Lark (don't know why) thought I'd log on see what my friends are up to. Must keep an eye on you lot  to make sure your behaving, any way enough of this rubbish. 

Yesterday due to having a disagreement with a concreat slab, had to go back again to Kings Mill, yes I praise the NHS for all the good work they do!!!!!! but have allready seen the Ophalmolgists (big word for early morning) twice and last one said everthing is fine, then recived another letter, app for yesterday. Whent though all eye test known to man, again everything finen Great being discharged, Wrong they want to see me again 2/3 weeks time.  WHY????? I'm sure that more folk want this app than me.

Oz no they arent the ones , I wish they were because they are much sweeter. Ours are typical of this region and they call them Zucche ( Zucca) which means pumpkin. I dont think it has a name but the shape is similar but the long piece is curved and sometimes curly. Not easy to peel. My daughter usually has a lot of beautiful pumpkins given to her during this time. Its an agricultural area as well as all the vineyards. Products like these are given away they are in so much abundance. It seems like the farmers unless they are in a cooperative dont bother collecting their produce. Shame considering the famine in the world.

Hope Nottingham isnt affected by the shortage of lorry drivers to deliver petrol. It seems ( as we hear) the UK is short of waiters too in restaurants.  Shortage of foreigners who after Brexit decided to return to their own country?  Or is this news just to fill in a bit of time?

Makes you sick. Every single time, whether it's petrol, sugar, horse radish sauce or shampoo...result is always the same. Joe Public goes crazy and panic buys the lot! I despair of the human animal.

Hey, Joe, supplies of cyanide are running low. They say there'll be none left by Sunday!  :rolleyes: