How's your day?

Today was my first day of gainful employment since I took early retirement seven years ago, and after a day of doing online training, it was almost like I’d never been away, although this is a completely different kind of job to what I’ve done previously.

So when you next see a white and orange supermarket delivery van on the roads of Notts, be nice - it might be me!

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

Today 

So when you next see a white and orange supermarket delivery van on the roads of Notts, be nice - it might be me!

One of our sons was made redundant from a  very well paid job three years ago and decided to become a delivery driver for Sainsbury’s.  He loves it because he says can just do the job each day and forget about it until the next day - no responsibility for a team of staff like he had before - basically no stress and no travelling to London each day.  His deliveries are mostly to pretty little Oxfordshire villages and he can stop and eat his lunch in lay-bys next to fields of sheep or cows.  The only downside is the low wages …..

That’s the bit I’m looking forward to, Margie. Spent the best part of thirty years managing teams of people (which must not have rubbed-off too much as my new manager seems a bit scared of me for some reason!) and now I’ll be doing a job I can leave at the door every day.

I’m not overly bothered about the pay either, as I’ve already got a good company pension and the taxman will be taking a chunk of it anyway. It’s getting out and about and not vegetating at home that’s appealing.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hope you don’t have to deliver to any eccentric elderly ladies with lots of cats who poo on the hall carpet.  Of course you can’t go in houses now so avoiding the little piles of poo won’t be a problem …. Yet!

(I’m obviously not referring to you @Jill Sparrow  lol)

Today I was able to re-book my Flu Jab for next Sat, after my original appt. was cancelled due to 'supplies being delayed'.  Transport issues no doubt...

I couldn't get through to book my appt. on the phone. So, I drove down to my Doc's in the next village, and booked face to face.  In the process, I checked out 3 petrol stations.  I'm OK as I filled up  a day or so before the insanity began.. but Mrs Col is running on empty. 

One station has no fuel till tomorrow.. but they did have Brandy..which was nice.  The other two... including the one in the village, both were busy, but had fuel.  Mrs Col went to one.. witnessed a 'shunt' on the forecourt, caused by people being stressed and in 'survival' mode.  She then proceeded to put a mere £20 of fuel in her ageing Punto and came home.  All very noble.. but sometimes I despair..

Meanwhile.. I hope I'm mistaken, but we don't seem to have heard from Carni, Peveril Peril, or Loppylugs for a while. Hope all are OK.

What a difference a day makes. :Shock: Feel very different today. All medication apart from cough syrup has finished . Last week a friend gave me 3 large pumpkins, not the round type but like large cucumbers with a bulb on the end. Ive peeled and chopped them and put them in the freezer ready for when the weather is a bit cooler for soup.

Its still very warm here though.

• Like 1

Hope that post wasn’t  repeated. 

Regarding the post about Carni, Loppy, (PP sent pics. )
Fings ain’t wot they used to be. Sign of the times. Covid has put us into anti social behavior or we are bored and finding other things to keep us occupied?

Seriously I hope that our dear friends are ok and I wonder how Jonab is after his fall, has anyone heard?

7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

. I hope I'm mistaken, but we don't seem to have heard from Carni, Peveril Peril, or Loppylugs for a while. Hope all are OK.

Thankyou for missing us. Sorry you are not seeing much  from me lately. I am logging on to keep up with the chat, and didn't realise how little I have contributed. We are currently at Skegness, and I only seem to have WIFI for a short time. It is very frustrating. I too hope Loppy and PP and any other missing NS are OK.

The last year has seen us with illnesses and lengthy recovery's. My last hospital stay in April and still recovering. Lost holidays. and this one is one removed three times . To add to  all this, we had a run in with a lorry on the way to Skeg and the side of the car is all smashed in. It is drivable but husband thinks it wont be worth repairing as we have clocked many miles. Sorry about the long post, I just want you to know I haven't abandoned NS, I have just hibernated for a while. Take care all, and I hope we hear from all the other NS soon, to put our minds at res.xx

• Like 9

Nice to hear from you again Carni, you have been missed . Birds workers have had to go on short time due to you not feeling so great and eating fewer cream cakes. So heres hoping you will soon be feeling better and keeping the cake makers in full employment.

Not forgetting the others who we have not heard from recently, let us know how you are.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, carni said:

Sorry about the long post

Chris, it's very good to hear from you and please don't apologise for the length of your post. One liners are for Twitter and Facebook.  On here, we can have grown up conversations...

As for the car.  Sorry to hear that.  As to whether to repair or write off.  It's likely your insurers will want to do that as it's the easy option and it's not their car.  But then you have to think about what they will pay you, and whether that goes anywhere near to paying for a replacement you will be happy with.

When someone ran into my Civic a couple of years back, the insurers wanted to write it off, because, going on its age alone it wasn't worth a great deal, but it was a very well maintained and looked after car.  I'm pretty sure the pittance they would have given me would not have bought me a car of anything like the same qualiity.  So, I insisted on them gettiing it repaired for me.  An alternative might have been to accept the write off, buy the danaged vehicle from them and get it fixed myself, but then things get complicated.  Either way, I hope you get sorted without losing out.

Stay well and enjoy Skeggy!

• Like 3

Had my flu jabs last night. Came away wiv a big 'ole in me arm, made by our Norwegian Viking nurse, using a Marlin spike, (at least that's  what it felt like). Just waiting for a letter now, calling us for our booster. Be firing on all four cylinders after this.

• Like 1

Hiya Margie, I did ask our harpoonist regarding the booster jab and she said our surgery will be sending letters out towards the end of this week and they will be done in our surgery. Some of our neighbours have booked, but their choice was, Brighton, Eastbourne or Crowborough, but none local. One neighbour has a friend who lives in Hove and all she was offered was Winchester or Isle of Wight ??

Good to hear you are ok, Carni.  Glad the accibent was no worse and I hope you can get satisfactory settlement.

I still read NS most days, but have not logged in much lately. I've had my share of health issues recently, but I'm not pushing up Daisys yet.  Just peeing on 'em and shaking me ears.  Think most of my problems may be Arthritis, but that should be in the ailments thread.

I am not barking much these days.  Things are so crazy and divisive in these days I am not much interested in arguing either in person or online so I just sit in the doghouse and growl.  ;)

Take care Ya'll

Dave.

• Like 4

Not as well as I would like, Chris.  Right foot lacks feeling so sometimes I hit pedal notes I didn't want to touch.  Right arm and hand are weak after stroke, so again, wrong notes.  Left hand is going a bit that way, probably arthritis.  That's why I haven't posted any video for quite a while.  I'm not proud of my efforts.  Still play for my own enjoyment just whine every time I goof.  I don't expect a call from Blackpool or Westminster abbey.  Lol.  Dogs seem to like a bit of fractured Bach anyway.

Gerrin' owd ain't for sissies.

Today there are indications my little friend from five years ago is back and not playing nice...  :(

Rang the GP and after listening to the Covid announcements then waiting the mandatory five minutes listening to Vivaldi a receptionist deigned to pick up and told me the doctor was only making appointments for emergencies today. The doc will phone me on Friday morning to tell me if he think I'm worthy of an actual appointment.

""Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away""

Recieved follow up letter from Kings Mill Hospital for next ophthalmic app. 

Letter 

We have made an appointment for you child to see the ophthist on 8/10/2021. Now having two sons oe 45 the other 43 I ask myself which one do they wish to see. 

Phoned to confirm appointment, 

Hello Kings Mill  can you please tell me which son you wish to see. Reception !! Can I have date of birth please?  me!! yes but which one?  Told him date of appointment, Reception  may I have your post code please? Reception I can-not find appointment  Recption  can I have your date of birth please? Reception  HO!!! here it is Reception  confirmed details of appointment.  At last we seemed to be getting some were. I told him about what the letter said, Oh they must have made a misteak. OH!!! how clever of you reception to figer that out. Any way due to a few days away may I please cancell appointment, reception when do you want it rebooked for? not sure what date is when we return, as might stay loger than planned. May I contact you when I return. Sorry if you don't rearrange we have to refer you back to your GP. By this time my patients was wearing thin, OK just for get I ever phoned. Reception You mean you want me to cancel that appointment?      YES! 

• Upvote 1

Back on my hobby horse about packaging again. Has the UK been upgraded to the "green" tags on the plastic bags that your bread comes in?  It was formerly an injection moulded plastic tag and has now been replaced with a tag made of some fibre material which is about as much use as a chocolate firescreen and totally fails in being re-useable to close the bag. I'm all for being green but the green replacement should work at least as well as what it is replacing

You’re lucky, Brew. Fifty-six minutes waiting for West Oak surgery to pick up the other day! The “Chill” music track went round three times!

Err... Having made jokes about all these idiots queueing for petrol I now find myself almost empty! Anyone seen a station with any fuel?

Today, after resting my aching knees for a few days, I decided to go for a walk.  I set off downhill to the 'Eddleston Waters'..a fishing pond, developed on land purchased by the local Eddleston Charity Trust. I was mostly intending to see if any Fungi are appearing, as there are some old trees around there. Before I'd gone more than a few hundred steps both knees were 'killing', but I reasoned they are already buggered and I can do them no more harm.. so just push on.. grin and bear it... or wince and bear it.. Can't sit in a chair forever..  At least the old ticker gets a work out.

There was one 'old chap' fishing the waters, who greeted me as I passed, so I stopped for a chat. He turned out to be slightly younger than me, and to have spent much of his working life as a Bricklayer, before ending up training apprentice 'Brickies', at St Helens College.  Since I too spent a lot of time associated with St H College, we had a few acquaintances in common and had a good old natter.  Turned out we are also both awaiting joint replacement surgery of some sort. A hip in his case.  He was a very decent chap to talk to, but for some reason, I didn't ask his name.

Also.. whilst we were talking, I saw my first ever Kingfisher.  I've been told for years that Kingfishers are about around here.. but never seen one.  Not much more than a flash of blue darting across the water.. but I'll try to go back for another look soon. Nice thing to see. 

On the way back home via a circular route, I also found a good sized 'Cepe'/'Boletus Edulis'/'Penny Bun'/'Porcini' mushroom.  Sadly, trodden on perhaps a day or so back and not fit for consumption.. but that means I now have two sites in the area where they grow...

It's amazing what you see when you look.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 9/29/2021 at 8:28 AM, Oztalgian said:

Back on my hobby horse about packaging again. Has the UK been upgraded to the "green" tags on the plastic bags that your bread comes in?  It was formerly an injection moulded plastic tag and has now been replaced with a tag made of some fibre material which is about as much use as a chocolate firescreen and totally fails in being re-useable to close the bag. I'm all for being green but the green replacement should work at least as well as what it is replacing

The sort of bread that comes in bags needing a re-seal tag, is usually either white sliced..which bears a strong resemblance to expanded putty, or some sort of 'wholemeal'...which resembles sawdust.

I must admit that over here Tesco have come up with a tolerable 'Oat and Barley' sliced loaf...which I can eat.. but the bottom line is that none of the mass produced stuff lasts long and when it comes to re-sealing it, you're as well off just folding the plastic bag, or just positioning the loaf upside down, so the bag is held sealed by the weight of the bread.

I'm unable to eat cheap bread without suffering crippling indigestion. Gawd knows what they put in it.  I'm happiest with something like a nice Olive Bread, a Panini, or one of those part baked baguettes that you bake for 10 minutes in the oven.  But mostly, I just don't eat much bread.

We or more accuratley I eat crusty uncut bread and it's annoying to see a large loaf is cheaper to buy than a small one - so potentially  a lot goes to waste. Popping to a local CO-OP, a rare event, on impulse I bought a seeded sourdough half loaf. Lord knows why they sell in halves but it was bloody lovely and no waste, win win!.

We have a bread maker (damn you Paul Hollywood), but try as we might the result is not very good. Any realtionship between the bread we turned out and the picture on the recipe book is pure rumour.

Perhaps my memory of the crusty bread from Juvells on Glasshouse Street or the crusty ham cobs many pubs had on the bar in little glass cases is faulty but bread doesn't seem the same as in my youth when the CO-OP delivered it to your door.

• Upvote 1