How's your day?

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

'wholemeal'...which resembles sawdust.

4 hours ago, Brew said:

crusty ham cobs

Even our artisan bakeries put their bread in plastic bags with a clip thingy. Don't know why they can't put it in a brown paper bag?

Yes DJ mass produced 'wholemeal' is compressed sawdust, but Brew what I wouldn't give for a crusty cob, buttered, filled with chips and brown sauce. No one here knows how to make decent crusty cobs. or batter for fish for that matter.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

The bread we all had as kids bears no resemblance to the breads of today. Back then, they weren't all stuffed with additives etc. You can get a decent Spelt bread from Morrisons and Tesco sometimes come up with a Corn bread.

There are still a number of small independent bakeries who make ‘proper’ bread. Our excellent bread is made by Atherley’s of Farnsfield who supply village shops and farm shops in their quite wide area. It’s far superior to the supermarket offerings. 

Yes bread has changed over the years. We buy our bread almost daily, it doesn't keep, but it is good. Very crispy, wholemeal, sourdough, white, spelt or even any sort of bread and comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes. In all the bakeries there should be and is a list of all ingredients used. No preservatives at all. At one time my daughter and I started making sourdough bread but although good was time consuming. Any left over bread we dry and use for bread crumbs. Every now and again we find a loaf of Sicilian bread topped with sesame seeds. The loaf has a yellow inside due to the type of flour used. It is so tasty. Some supermarkets sell these loaves as sicilian because they have sesame seeds on top but they taste nothing like the real thing. If you are ever in Sicily try it.

Bread makers, try using a bread maker for mixing the dough, then turn it out when mixed, then hand make the bread rolls, place them in a baking pan, cover them with a warm damp tea towel, allow half an hour to an hour to raise, then bake them.

I use a brand of flour that is produced from none GMO wheat, they don't "bleach it" has NO additives, but is more expensive than normal bread flour, it's called "King Arthur" brand, you can get it in the UK, Amazon and Walmarts stock it. Best bread making flour on the market, all my bread has is bread making flour, salt some olive oil, keeps the bread moist, sugar, yeast and water, sometimes I'll add a couple of spoonfuls of powdered barley malt.

Problem with todays bread is all the additives, most of which cannot be pronounced.

Day started off ok. Went to get my new glasses adjusted, walked round market looking for a pair of jeans. The sun was so bright , I couldn’t see properly as all the stalls were in the sun. Oh well I’ll go to the shops this afternoon. As I was just about to change gear from reversing out of the drive my husband and daughter came running out telling me to stop. Emergency my sil was completely blocked, couldn’t move so off we went to A&E. I’m waiting for her now and she is waiting for Dr to give her an injection hopefully. Her sister is waiting outside for her. If she’s not out by 5 pm we are going home and sil will ring her companion to fetch her. Never a dull moment here.

We went up to Hemswell Antiques in Lincs today. Didn’t find anything interesting to buy but we did have an excellent sausage cob with brown sauce. We also bumped into Mark Stacey from ‘The Antiques Road Trip’ TV show. We used to go every month but this was the first time in ages we’ve been any distance. I was sorry to come home empty handed but nothing appealed.

3 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Bread makers, try using a bread maker for mixing the dough, then turn it out when mixed, then hand make the bread rolls, place them in a baking pan, cover them with a warm damp tea towel, allow half an hour to an hour to raise, then bake them.

Done all that Ayeup and placed a tray of water in bottom of the oven. We buy strong flour freshly milled from Greens windmill in Sneinton.

We tried  proving the dough by various means, even in the fridge over night but as I said the bread still does a passable impression of Portland stone.

We did buy a Panasonic bread maker some years ago and it did make very good bread if we carefully selected the ingredients. It was just too much fiddling around. We gave it to our daughter and I think she only used it once. We can buy good bread from the local farm shop which cuts out all the messing about. I prefer instant gratification!

Had quite a few bread makers, but none are the same as when you make it your self.  I have tried many a time  to find flour that makes French Bread I am still looking, apart from going over to French to bye some. 

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I have tried many a time  to find flour that makes French Bread

Gave up paying a fortune for "Artisan" flour. Discovered that the French bakers are only allowed to add water, salt - and vitamin c powder (ascorbic acid). Get some off Amazon (cheaper) and away you go. Tastes nice - but difficult to compare to the memory of the bread we had at Les Bessardiere!

nice with soup,though

Started back to work today, after 20 months absence. It were very very strange at first and I felt quite nervous. But after about an hour, soon settled in. Be back in tomorrow and Sunday now the autumn colours are coming on. Colours about 2/3 weeks behind.

• Like 2

Brew, you need a high gluten flour for bread making, like I say, use a bread maker to mix the dough, I have to I suffer with my wrists.

I usually empty it out of the breadmaker, cut the dough in two, drop in two SS bowls, cover with a warm damp cloth, leave until double in size, then empty on to a cutting board and "knock back" then cut it into small bread roll sizes, put in a lightly greased high baking pan, cover with a warm damp kitchen towel and leave to "prove" Once doubled in size, in the oven to bake...

The trick to good bread is make sure you have enough water in the mix, not enough and the dough doesn't rise high enough and the texture is heavy and dry. 

It's very rare for us to buy bread, we prefer to know what goes into our bread.

• Like 1

I don't know much about making bread..but.. My Brother bought a breadmaker and found the results to be crap.  However.. he played around wiith the mix of ingredients and got a mix/process which worked.

We went for our booster jab (left arm) and flu jab (right arm) today.  When we were walking across the car park we were holding hands as we often do.  One of the younger volunteer guides said: “Aw, it’s so lovely to see you holding hands”.   We smiled sweetly of course but I felt a bit patronised with her thinking that older people were past that sort of thing!  I suppose I might have thought that as well when I was in my twenties though…

after our jabs we met with both our sons and some of their families and went for a 2 - 3 mile slow walk along the river at Ely.  We had the pleasure of walking their 2 dogs as well.  It was beautiful warm weather and we had a picnic along the way, with an ice cream from a Mr Whippy van afterwards.  
I feel so blessed it nearly reduces me to (happy) tears …..

• Like 6

Well done Margie, it sounds like you had a fabulous day.  
I think the majority of Nottstalgians will be in line for a Covid booster in the next month or so, it’s almost six months since I had my second jab.  
We both had our flu jabs 4 weeks ago, on the first day they were offering them at our local pharmacy.  It was the first time I’d ever ended up with a sore arm! 

• Like 1
On 10/9/2021 at 7:44 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

It's very rare for us to buy bread, we prefer to know what goes into our bread.

SWMBO sent me out to get some bread yesterday with no other instructions. I was stunned to see how many types of "bread" there was available!

Pumpkin seed - No doubt taken from pumpkins before being used for soup or Halloween lanterns

9 Grains -

Wheat - isn't that what bread used to be made of?

Corn - cornbread or biscuits in the USA, Cornflakes or corn on the cob with lashings of butter.

Oats - what people of Scottish descent or horses eat.

Rye - for whiskey

Barley - for whisky of beer

Triticale - some kind of Frankenfood crossbred plant

Linseed - for cricket bats

Millet - for budgies

Soy (kibbled) - a sauce for Asian food

Why oh why can't i get a plain white loaf made from wheat flour with a nice brown crust and fluffy inside and yes I did bring the wrong sort. Thank goodness I was not sent to get some milk.