How's your day?

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We both had our flu jabs 4 weeks ago, on the first day they were offering them at our local pharmacy.  It was the first time I’d ever ended up with a sore arm! 

Same here Lizzie.  I’ve never had a sore arm after any injection but this time both arms are painful.  They were fine at first but the flu arm started aching about 4 hours after the jab and the Pfizer arm joined in with a vengeance about an hour after that!  Paracetamol sorted it anyway so that’s good.  A small price to pay for some protection…..

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I keep thinking I must start making bread again but then think ...useless as we have to eat it because it wont keep.Bread making can be very satisfying. Ive seen many programmes and videos on bread making and each one is easier than the previous. Pour your flour , add water mix lightly and leave a while then add very little yeast and leave to autolis until its full of bubbles , knock back and add salt leave again to rise and finish off. 

This isnt a recipe but my recollection of one of the many processes.  Ive tried so many different flours and I agree King Arthurs flour is best. 

Oz, my bread is light and fluffy inside, I just cannot get the same type of crust we had as kids in Nottm. Like I stated I use unbleached None GMO wheat flour and only use King Arthur brand which is available from Amazon.com.

Out local store stocks it as well, you can also buy direct from the on line. We also use that brand of plain flour for general kitchen use.

Brew, it's not that much dearer than other bread flours over here, BUT, it's not got any additives which half the time you cannot pronounce and probably bad for you over the years, plus it's unbleached so much healthier.

Nonna, IT WILL KEEP!! Try putting it in a plastic food bag and freezing it!!

We have frozen bread for years and it keeps well for a few weeks, it will dry out eventually. We freeze milk so as not to waste time shopping daily, I keep three "floating" quart plastic bottles. That way we have thawed milk as we need it.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2021 at 9:29 PM, IAN FINN said:

Where are you working Beekay? Are you driving a corporation bus?

On 10/8/2021 at 11:17 PM, IAN FINN said:

Just Googled it Beekay looks a beautiful place to work i would think its quite a relaxing place.

This is what I drive at Sheffield park & garden Ian. Anyplace, Anywhere.

IMG-2521.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Brew, it's not that much dearer than other bread flours over here

£10.50 for 16Oz??

Paloe flour  £24.50 for 16Oz

Whole wheat organic 2lbs for £64.44 plus £167 shipping,,,,!!!!!!

Where's the 167 quid shipping from??? Mars. I looked it up on UK Amazon, and it is pretty expensive, but I didn't find the bread flour. Looks like Asda was bought out by Walmart, have you checked them??

No just googled for King Arthur flour, few seem to supply it over here and the last in the list was from  your side of the pond.

Asda don't have it...  

Details about  King Arthur, 100% Organic Whole Wheat Flour, 100% Whole Grain, Non-GMO Project 2

1 product rating

Item information

Top of Form

Condition:

New

Price:

US $87.88

Approximately £64.44

Gluten free at AMAZON £50 FOR 18oZ...

15 minutes ago, Brew said:

£10.50 for 16Oz??

Paloe flour  £24.50 for 16Oz

Whole wheat organic 2lbs for £64.44 plus £167 shipping,,,,!!!!!!

Go on Brew, treat yourself to a 1/2 cwt of flour. You know you want to.:rolleyes:

Just under $5 for a 5lb bag here, how on earth can they charge that much on the UK market??

I think I'll go into the smuggling business, I could probably make as much for high quality bread flour as the cocaine dealers do for their crap..

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

how on earth can they charge that much on the UK market??

Probably why no one stocks it...

I've noticed that anything that your own country doesn't produce or make, costs the earth . 

As regards freezing bread, I do sometimes freeze it and have in the past when any homemade bread is left over. But then it takes up a lot of room and I find that when its popped in the oven to defrost it ( defrosting normally makes it a bit doughy) the crust flies away and you're left with pieces of crust and fluffy middles.

When i first starting making bread I always used strong white flour plus a bit of wholemeal added. When we came here I couldnt find the equivalent but looking for bread recipes they didn't use the strong flour only a "tender flour". Now they sell manitoba and I use a mix with other flours. Even pizzaole use a tender flour. Our flours are "00"and "0" with other numbers thrown in. I found it complicated at first as I bake a lot and had to keep looking the uses up.

Today we have  moved, with some reluctance it has to said, into the 21st century with a new house guest... Alexa.

The speed of response to some quite obscure requests is impressive, there must be some serious technology driving it. The pronunciation and enunciation is astonishing compared the computer generated voices of a few years ago.

At the moment she is busy telling jokes, if you cross an elephant with a kangaroo you will get....................

big holes all over Australia..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

...in my experience not at all.

I've been to Morrisons within the last hour and everything is exactly as it has always been. I didn't see any sign of anything unusual.

The media - especially the tabloids - create the 'panics', and then report what they've invented.

• Like 3

Tesco and   Sainsbury’s at Ely seem to be OK - there are the occasional substitute items when I’ve ordered online but no more than there were last year.  

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Today we have  moved, with some reluctance it has to said, into the 21st century with a new house guest... Alexa.

Our daughter presented us with a hamper last Christmas.. and also an 'Echo Dot', which moved me to text her and say "Thank you for the lovely Echo Dot...........What is it?"

It turned out to be a sort of Alexa thingy..which likes to be addressed as Alexa.  After a few hours figuring out how to set it up, I got it working.  Mostly, I ask it what the outside temperature is.. or alternatively say " Alexa..where's my stuff?"..when I want to check on the progress of Amazon orders..  That's about it...

It's spent this afternoon telling jokes, giving  weather forecasts, making shopping lists and asking if we want to join some subscription service or other.

It was an impulse buy as a present for Dee's birthday yesterday.