How's your day?

Good on her!!

We have a few female Bin Laydees, but I've not seen a driver.. yet..

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I've just been reading about the latest trend in must haves for children: cuddly religious toys.

There's a cuddly Hanuman, a cuddly Ganesha, etc. Because they don't want to appear discriminatory, the manufacturers have included others faiths. There's a cuddly Jesus who sings The Lord's Prayer at the touch of a button and a cuddly Star of David that plays a Hebrew prayer.

I really don't know what I think about this.  A cynical attempt to make money? Brainwashing? Or genuine concern that younger generations are drifting away from faiths.  I know RCs have always had statues of Mary or Jesus which could be plugged into the mains to make their red hearts light up and flash. A school friend of mine had one. She used it as a reading lamp under the bed clothes at night after lights out.

Think I prefer my collection of antique teddy bears!

The Most Revd Welby isn't a deity, Phil, so far as I know. As to whether he was required to do his national service, I couldn't say! ;)

With my cynical hat on, I suppose the most popular cuddly deity would be a cuddly dollar which, when you press its button, plays We're In The Money from Gold Diggers of 1933. I can see that selling out.

Finally bit the bullet and bought 'er indoors a mobilty scooter. A nice red one. I bought her a can opener for her birthday yesterday, but she wanted summat else. Some folks are never satisfied.

Screenshot-20211023-173617-Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

We’ve had an interesting, frustrating and expensive couple of days.

we flew to Malaga last Sunday to stay in Marbella with friends and had a great time in warm sunshine, good food and plenty to drink in great restaurants and bars.  They have a fantastic apartment only 3 minutes walk from the beach so it’s an ideal location.  
All went well until we decided to go for a quick walk to the little local market on Friday morning.  Walking back to their place to pack and tidy up (as our friends were flying back too, after being out there for 7 weeks) …… Roger and my bestie were walking ahead of us and I turned to check that her husband was ok stepping off a kerb as he’s ‘getting on a bit’.  Just as I turned to him there was a bloke bending down obviously robbing him.  I yelled and kicked out, hoping to get him where it hurts or at least trip him up but he was gone like the wind, dodging traffic.  Our friend didn’t even know he’d been robbed of his watch and fortunately it was a pretend Hublot off the Looky Looky men. The mugger must have been an apprentice because if he’d tried it on with us other three he would have ended up with several thousand pounds worth of watches.  Phew! 
We got over that shock and got sorted, packed and went to the airport. Returned rental car, long queue at Ryanair check-in because at least 4 flights were going to the UK and 3 of those were departing at same time as us.  Then on to Security, another long long queue and then stupidly we decided to stop at a airport bar for a quick drink.  Big mistake, we should have gone to join the hundreds trying to get through the passport control.  They’re teaching us a lesson for leaving the EU, it was so slow.  Finally get through to the gate and it had closed!   We were not alone, there were 14 of us who should have been on that East Mids flight, several who didn’t make the Liverpool flight and several from Bristol flight. Ryanair wouldn’t let us on but got all the bags off the planes before they took off though!  We sat in the airport and eventually managed to get booked on last night’s flight, about £100 each inc bags, then €80 taxi back to friends apartment. Yesterday we had another taxi to airport and we didn’t stop anywhere unnecessarily inside the building until we got to the gate, where we sat for nearly 2 hours!  I hate Ryanair!  Finally arrived home at 9pm last night, heating on, electric blanket on, slept like a baby! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lizzie join the Ryanair haters club. Sorry about what happened but fortunately no one was hurt. Years ago in Venice my penfriend was robbed of the contents of her handbag. Strangely though my dad was filming and taking photos. One minute the camera caught her bag closed the next minute the bag was open. We said afterwards that we didnt go near enough to anyone for them to pinch.

Had a great day today. Donned the lycra and went for a birthday ride, which is my custom. The vintage LOOK KG 281 with Campagnolo Record gears is still a delight to ride. This afternoon I attended the weekly meeting of the Coffin club at our local where we bragged at how well we felt and discussed the merits of heat pumps.

It's been a full week. Last w/e we were taken on a tour of cider farms in Somerset by our Granddaughter. Yey! Proper cider! During to week we stayed in Bakewell for our 59th anniversary, On our way back we had lunch at Carsington, where I bought a bike for our Gt Granddaughter who is 10 tomorrow. She loves it.

Life is good.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Years ago in Venice my penfriend was robbed of the contents of her handbag.

Many years ago we spent New Year in Rome with friends.  New Years Eve we went to the Rome Opera House to see ‘Tosca’, insisting that our two men wore dinner jackets because we thought it was a recognised thing to do, but they stood out like a sore thumb, surrounded by very casually dressed Italians!  Next morning, New Year’s Day, we caught a bus from our hotel to St Mark’s Square to see the Pope give his New Year address to the adoring followers.  It was a cold, wet day, we were warmly dressed and the bus was crowded, we had to stand.  When we got off the bus our friend Bill suddenly realised his wallet was gone from a front pocket of his trousers, underneath a full length Burberry raincoat.  He’d never felt a thing!  We saw the Pope, could have done with binoculars though, then the two men spent the next several hours in the local police station, filling out forms in triplicate and struggling with the language.  His insurance paid up but we missed out on a big part of our trip. 

• Like 1

Disaster day today, so I'm playing my sympathy card.

Had to send 'er indoors birthday present back this morning. Took the base off her electric tin opener to put batteries in and no way would it fit back on, (tried for over an hour). Rang the firm and they had the same problem when trying. Said they would collect today.

Now I'll have to nip in Robert Dyas and buy her another one.

Times is 'ard. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Anyone who buys their wife a tin opener for her birthday deserves all the aggravation they get!

If you were my husband, I'd buy you a vat of fairy liquid and a pair of Marigolds for yours! :wacko:

Are you forgetting about the mobility scooter I bought her,on Saturday? That tin opener wornt cheap any road.

If I  were your husband, I'd probably drink the fairy liquid !

• Like 3

I did also buy her a lightweight vacuum cleaner AND a brand new frying pan for our 56th wedding anniversary. I got nowt !

(But in all fairness, I dint want owt).

Catfan, I woulda bought a steam iron but we've nowhere to store the coal. Not only that, I would have to buy her a new shovel.

• Like 6

Phil I agree with you about buying practical presents years we went through  the phase of buying each other all sorts of "nice" presents but now when either of us needs anything we just buy it. 

A few years ago she could not think of what to buy me for Christmas so she brought me an item, that I try my hardest not to use yet, a Funeral Plan.  Guess what I brought her for her birthday.