How's your day?

When my Ma in law was alive, she always used to ask Tina what to get me for Christmas. I would always say, " a box of screws or some audio tapes." Something I could use, something practical.

Tina and I have not bought each other Christmas presents for years.

I'm 78 next month, what do I need now that I don't have.

Mind you, I can always use recordable DVDs.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Last Christmas one of our boys said to me that he’d like to buy his Dad a defibrillator ……. I agreed that it may be a very practical gift but didn’t think my husband would really appreciate the thought!  I could understand why he had considered the idea because his best friend’s father (a good friend of ours) had recently suffered a heart attack on the squash court and was saved by a defibrillator.  I hope I never need to wish we’d had one in the house! 

• Like 2

Having done a First Aid course a couple of years ago, including practice on how to use a defibrillator, I was disturbed to find out there are only 2 in our village and a code is needed to actually get them.   Apparently you have to call 999 to get the code.  The security is needed to stop mindless vandalism apparently.

By the  time I could access it and get it wired up on to the patient, it might well be too late!

Sort of linked to Jill’s post above ….

Paul is taking a funeral today and the song that’s been requested as the coffin leaves the church is one by the Everly Brothers.  Can you guess the  first name of the deceased lady?

This is true!

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Surely not Susie!

I’m afraid you are correct Phil.

Fen people have a strange sense of humour….

yesterday  Booked a sun holiday (hopefully) The Passport that both master and I had did not have 6 months left on it. So we had to renew them. Saga rep told us thst to renew by internet or post we would not get passport back in time.  So booked in at Passort office  for Tuesday. Frist you have  to go though security just like you are at the airport, then you report to a desk and finaly you see some one.  Now don't get me wrong i am not a racist but it struck me as funny, as we are now back to being the UK, both the serurity gaurds were not english born i could tell this by the way they spoke, the girl behind the desk looked very oriental. The last person that I saw must have held a uk passport.  This just me me laugh as all the security we are put though. You never know these people coud have been spy's. Of case I had to have lastword  " Are we having those big black Passports back"" I asked  then I knew by the funny way she looked at me and just her body language. Where she was from.

• Upvote 1

When we lived in Nottingham I always fed the birds and loved watching them from the kitchen window. Since we've been here we dont see a great mix of birds. I suppose because its the tractors and presence of farmers that keep them away, also shotguns when the hunting season comes. This morning I could see quite a few sparrows ( always present) flitting backwards and forwards but they seemed different. They were faster and swooped down towards the house and once one nearly collided with me. I cant get a really good look at them as they won't  keep still but I did notice they are very similar to a sparrow but have a short tail and the underneath part is red/orange , only the tail not the breast. When resting anywhere it flutters puffing up its tail. I've come to the conclusion its a Black Redstart. I am certainly no ornithologist but looking up on internet this is what I've  come across. Apparently a rare bird. It looks as though I'm going to spend all morning watching out for them. There are two who are playing " catch me if you can " Lovely start to the day.

• Like 3

Mary, my brother is coming for Christmas now that Brits can come to the States again. His passport ran out last year,  so he sent for a new one. He was told it could take up to 10 weeks. He got it back in a week!

• Upvote 1

Ups and downs. 

Mrs Col's shed of a Punto failed MOT big time and I finally persuaded her she needs something just a tad better.  Spotted a tidy Skoda Fabia at a FIAT dealer's I used for years and we got that for her.

Meanwhile, I missed the fact that my MOT was running out on 26th..so..couldn't get it in anywhere for a test and ended up asking the FIAT dealership to do it.

So.. they failed it on suspension arms..  Corroding evidently..  And yet no mention of this at last MOT 12 months and under 2000 miles ago...  Cost?  £300 fitted.  They are about 60 quid each.

Next.. apparently rear brake discs and pads are worn out.  Hmm. I had all four brakes, discs pads and calipers replaced not long ago...  Cost £190.

So.. they called me today and told me the new suspension arms they ordered wouldn't fit.  So, they ordered replacements which also wouldn't fit...

They have until tomorrow..28th to sort this out, within the already exorbitant quoted price, before I kick off....  Over the last 35 years I have had 10.. that's TEN vehicles from this lot...and I've just bought another. But you can go off people... 

Wet for iterview for a new job many moons ago, Yes! igut the job only oe problem needed a car for this job. At the time we did have a car but it was a company one, which master used for his work. Not having lots of money, LTD £500. Found a VW Golf, driver young man banned for D/D  That little Gof lasted me 5 years not an once f trouble and boy could she shift. Only one problem when putting in to first gear it would slip and gointo reverse. but it was mine. 

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

'Er indoors and our neighbour doing their Thelma and Louise act.

No, it's not the one I've bought her.

IMG-2550.jpg

Buy one get 2nd one free.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:35 PM, Beekay said:

I'm with you PhilMayfield, you're my hero.

Come on chaps I like Chocolets and Flowers, OH !!! and don't forget the wine,

ps Not long being married it came to Christas morning, looking forward to my pressi, the the bomb shall, Master "Well I went into all the shops in Nottm and could not find any thng worthy of you. It  just goe's to show.