• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Change of subject...Watching TV last and saw "Worlds most scenic railway journey", on channel 5. They were in the North East, up near Compo's neck of the woods. It looked a beautiful area, all around there with a lovely little harbour at Wick.

I was very disappointed that Compo didn't turn up to tell us a bit about Caithness, (although I appreciate no rail lines go by his gaff anymore). Was hoping to see him in the background, giving a thumbs up to the cameraman. An enjoyable hour, didn't even see PP fishing.

• Upvote 1

Mrs Col is 'Cat Sitting'.  (You couldn't make it up..)..at No.1 Daughter's place.  But since the Cat only needs bothering at feeding time.. she is spending much of her time at No.2 daughter's, helping out with the baby while Daughter does freelance design stuff.

Which means that I am free to watch telly, listen to music, eat, drink, etc.. to suit myself. I am of course doing a bit of gardening, cleaning etc... honest...

On 10/27/2021 at 7:34 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Does he look like the Dalai Chulla? :rolleyes:

No Jill, my 2 brothers looked nothing alike, plus 16 years between the 2 of them.

I've only just realised, it was my 3rd nottstalgia birthday, 5 days ago on the 26th. Belated Happy Birthday to meself. thumbsup

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Of course I do Ian. Not just churns and watering cans but owt. 

I've just acquired a little planter to work on.

My sister in law in Nottingham came to visit last weekend and she took her milk churn with her at long last, (after sitting wrapped up in our spare bedroom). At least I won't be tripping over the bloody thing anymore. She was overjoyed when she saw it and I must admit, I found it a bit emotional. After all, it did give me a heart attack.

• Like 1

I just managed to log onto a St Helens website which I've not been on for a year or more.  I was quite sad to read of the demise of a well known St Helens 'character'...known to all as 'Johnnie Wellies.'  He wandered around town in wellies and a bobble hat.  Every time I saw him he had a beard too.  He would sometimes just stand in the street and point and laugh at people.  I only spoke to him once, when he approached me in a deserted town square as I went to an evening meeting.  He just said "They'd drive you mad..."  and walked on.. to which I replied.. "They would that..."

But.. it seems there was a whole other side to Johnny, and at his funeral a little while back, a local funeral director provided the funeral free of charge, and well known 'Sentelliner' Johnny Vegas, did the Eulogy.  Whilst I don't doubt that Johnny had 'issues', there was much more to him than you'd have thought... which is, I suppose.. a lesson for us all. Have a look here:

https://www.sthelens-connect.net/forums/topic/97248-looks-like-johnny-has-left-us/page/2/

Col

Almost the same here BK.

it was one of those sites that want me to accept cookies and I usually avoid those (so I haven’t read it either)

Typical 1st November day, dismal, grey almost dark and raining. Its almost become extinct as its not rained for months. Today is a bank holiday, All Saints Day which is massively celebrated here. I cant remember in U K whether this was celebrated or not. But being in a village theres a massive influx of " Stranieri" who come to vist the graves of their long lost relatives. The shops are full of crysanthimums which are considered flowers of the dead.

Its also the start of the truffle season. Both restaurants of my son and daughter have been absolutely booked out for these 3 days. Everyone wants truffle shavings on anything that they can eat. My daughter has sold 7 kg of tagliatelle in 2 days along with porcini mushroom ( 8 kg)sauce topped with truffles.

She showed me a photo of one of the truffles she had ( and sold) about the size of a cricket ball and cost € 1,500 . Granted she recuporated this amount but still the outlay is tremendous. In this period if you dont have truffles its a case of " no truffle , no party".

I dont know if youve already tasted it but I resisted for years, It smells vile if youve not smelt it. One day about this time of the year my daughter brought one home and she insisted I try it ontop of tagliatelle . The end result that although I dont rave about it , it is delicious but certainly wouldnt pay the price in this season.

Fortunately herself has banned me from IKEA after I lost my temper when I couldn't get out of the place!

• Like 1

Jill I cant imagine rum truffles with Alba truffles. But I too like the rum ones.

Phil , Alex does that, either sits at home dog sitting while us girls go shopping or rushes round everywhere so that we dont see half of what is on sale. Around lunchtime today we decided to go to Aldi, a new  lowcost supermarket ( new to us anyway). Wanted to go as well to Lidl as they are near each other but it was pouring with rain and the car parks were pretty full which meant running to get shelter. Don't reckon much to Aldi but heard so much about it from mum when she lived in Uk. Lidl tomorrow, I dont need anything but Lidl has a load of Christmassy things that Aldi didnt have. Its ages since weve been. Only once since this pandemic started. I like this shop not because its cheap and certainly not for the quality of some items but they usually have things that we cant find in local supermarkets. Like chutney, salad cream and once birds custard powder .Did buy some Stilton and cheddar. They were ok but our stilton expert Phil Mayfield said the stilton I bought wasnt as good as the one he buys. Not being an expert on cheese I found it ok.

Every now and again a lorry travels up from Sicily full of Sicilian goodies and as there are quite a few Sicilians living here it must be profitable for him. We bought a couple of bags of cannoli shells complete with ricotta to fill them and one or two other things including 2 kg of sun dried tomatoes. I have already had them desalted and put into jars with oregano and EV oil. Did 3 and will do the other kilo tomorrow. I now have so many jars of preserves for the winter so if theres a sudden snowstorm or floods we wont go hungry. In fact I think I have enough for a meetup party.smile2