• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

On 3/31/2022 at 10:37 PM, DJ360 said:

P.S. 'Pre Op Assessments' have a 'lifetime' of 12 weeks, so I'm hoping that if this one goes OK, I'll get the surgery done in a f w weeks.

I hope all goes well DJ. You have waited long enough.

• Like 1

Adventures by 10-11 yr olds years ago. Don't you think the kids were more grown up and " responsible" then? Or maybe now there are more dangers to be aware of.

I think kids are nowhere near as adventurous, in fact I don't think they know how! This is not their fault, it's mostly ours, the parents who mollycoddle them. Since 'think of the children' became the battle-cry of the timid, plus elf 'n' safety, we see monsters and bogeymen around every corner, though In fairness the amount of traffic and lack of places to play have dramatically reduced.

The rise and availability of technology has also compounded the situation. There are games that need little to no imagination, just quick fingers and entry into a digital world – remote playmates optional. Smartphones and peer pressure also serve to make kids risk averse and anxious to fit in.

We tend to decry kids of today, but is it really any different to ours? How many times during the long school holidays did we say, “I'm bored, there's nothing to do”?

If PlayStations around back then would we really play cricket in the street, skipping, snobs, dobbby-off-ground or marbles etc.?

I can honestly say I was never bored during the school holidays...but I was often bored during term time!  I wasn't the kind of child who played with other children very much and my amusements were mostly imagination-based inside my own head, reading or pestering relatives for family information. I never felt the urge to fit in with the others and still don't but my childhood was blissful. I wouldn't care to repeat it today.

• Like 1

Where we lived in Woodthorpe in the 40’s/50’s we were not far from the countryside before it was built on. In the school holidays we out in the fields all day. Our parents didn’t seem to mind as long as we turned up at meal times which we always did. I remember once, aged about 11, cycling as far as Gunthorpe, and we regularly went over Mapperley Plains to Lambley Dumbles. Woodthorpe park was another favourite haunt and we used to be given a few pence to play pitch and putt.

Phil - just the same as me  but we girls didn’t generally go round with boys (that came later :) j so our paths 

probably wouldn’t have crossed much….

Since this is already in 'How's Your Day', rather than 'Ailments..Aches..etc..

Today I went for a THIRD 'Pre-Op' Assessment as a precursor to knee surgery. They did the routine swabs, tests etc.. as a matter of course.. but it was mostly about me meeting another Anaesthetist.

Another very pleasant chap..who asked me (yet again.) whether I experience breathlessness, ankle swelling, chest pain.. (No..to all)

We once again discussed the increased risk of me popping my clogs as a result of said surgery, compared to my risk of popping my clogs due to inactivity because I can't walk...

We once again went through the whole saga of how modern technology renders it impossible for World renowned Wrightington Orthopaedic Hospital, to communicate with Wigan Hospital..all of three miles distant, and St Helens Hospital an epic 10 miles distant...such that no left hand knows what any right hand is doing and nobody is able to get as few as two Ducks in a Row..much less several..

Still.. this chap cheered me up no end by informing me that if I'm keen on going ahead with surgery, I really ought to have a conversation with my family..  about risk...:Shock:

I assured him that his Cardiologist colleague in Wigan Hospital had assured me last week by telephone that I have at least a fighting chance of surviving surgery.. Whereupon he explained that he needed that in writing before 'listing' me for surgery.

Then..in an astonishing aside.. he told me that he's finally established contact with my latest Cardiologist in St Helens, who had sent him a report..from which he quoted....

I slowly drew in a breath and..as far as possible excluding emotion from my voice.. informed him that he was reading from the very same report which I had supplied to the Surgeon's Secretary at the point where I was first referred, in Sept. 2021...:angry2:

Finally, the Anaesthetist declared that I was fit for surgery (subject to increased risk), "once he had received the report from their Cardiologist".  Given that I waited for 6 weeks for a phone call from this Cardiologist.. I was not encouraged.

Yet.. when I arrived home.. I found a letter in the porch, copying me into a Cardiology report from Wigan to my GP.

I fervently hope that same report has found its way to the Anaesthetist...

Almost speechless....

Re my friend's forthcoming hernia repair operation, I have now been informed by Patients Know Best that he's having this on the given date later this month. Yippee...except...it was I who put that information on there!

• Like 1

I've just had a telephone consult about my hearing:

Do you work in a noisy environment?

No, I'm retired

Ever had a head injury

No

Do you work nights?

? no I'm 77 this year

Would you like to make a hospital appointment, or go to Specsavers

NHS

Do you have problems with balance

Yes

When at work, in a crowd, or  a group of people ............

Give me strength... is there any point? Twenty minutes buggering about on the phone, she even asked what type it was, to answer questions that would take less than 5 minutes face to face.

• Like 3

I got a phone call from Wrightington Pre Op.  "Our Nurse spelled your name wrong on your blood samples, so the Lab wouldn't accept them.. Can you come back and have them taken again..?"

"Why not?.. I've got nothing else to do..."

• Like 1

Morning DJ  similar thing happend to me!! went into QMC treatment center, after I had my opp Doctor ?? came up to me and said, from your B/T you are very short of ??? so i'll write you out a persription.  (it took him 10mins to explaine what i needed and why)   Then a few minutes after, he came back and told me that he had picked up the wrong folder and he was sorry but it was some one else who had the problem.  Maybe he just wanted to try out a new persciption for wacke bacca.

Beautifull  BK

Happy Birthday Mrs B 

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Beautifull  BK

Happy Birthday Mrs B 

I'll send you a personal picture Mary1947. X

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Excellent nonna, you could start a cottage industry selling them on Ebay...

Thankyou Brew . For the moment I’m enjoying creating these characters. I wish I had discovered the pastime a long while ago. I have a large clown that sits near the phone and various animals cluttered everywhere.Shall have to have a clear up soon.