How's your day?

14 hours ago, trogg said:

I saw these this morning ,only a couple of hundred yards from Hucknall Market place. Spring has arrived and new life begins again, with all the new colours appearing all around us isnt it great to be alive.

ducklings.jpg

Morning Trogg Doe's that mean that the Baker St brook is still there? Do they still have Friday markets? When we lived on Long Hill Rise we had a overy running brook at the end of our garden, then they built the by-pass (to take pit lorries out of the town center) (by the time it had been built most of the pits had gone) any way due to the by-pass our brook dried up. Don't know if it ever came back as we left a short time after.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Mary Baker Street Brook has been cleaned out and opened up in a few places. As you walk along the brook you can now see more and more wildlife, the water is now clear and you can often see fish.   Friday and now Saturday markets are still going , but now held on the pedestrianised High Street, But as other Towns the market is a shadow of its former self. No longer is it used by young ladies looking for a new outfit for Friday night fun at the Welfare.

• Like 2

Sorry to learn of your hours spent in discomfort and sitting around A & E Col and hope a good night’s  rest has worked wonders on your ticker.  
You casually dropped it in your post that you have a very significant anniversary today …….. 

CONGRATULATIONS MR AND MRS COL ON YOUR GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY, HAVE A SMASHING DAY X

• Like 1

Happy anniversary Mr &Mrs Col.  Hope you’ll manage to enjoy the day.  
Sorry to  read about all your health troubles - i think A & E s all over the country are struggling, but that doesn’t detract from your experience… you must be very tired after waiting for so long.

I do agree with Brew in many ways, though….. perhaps you should have waited a bit longer at the hospital?

Anyway, please take care x

• Like 1

Add my congratulations too Col, hope you enjoy the occasion and a good few more to come.. 

Thanks for the congratulations all. A quiet day so far but we've been invited to our best friend's for a meal later. We were also invited to oldest daughter's on Sunday for a barbeque, but Daughter has gone down with Covid so that's on hold.

As for health.. after a long night's sleep I am now feeling as close to my version of normal as ever.

@ Brew.. and in my defence, I have been encouraged by all Docs, Cardiologists and Anaesthetists.. to get as much exercise as possible, firstly to speed up recovery from knee surgery and secondly because exercise is the best way of keeping a failing heart going.

Maybe I didn't make clear that I waited for 7 hours for an ambulance ordered by 111 and then on the instructions of a Paramedic, went to a rammed A&E where we were largely surrounded by idiots to whom the concept of wearing a mask is still alien after 2 years, despite boxes of the bloody things everywhere, accompanied by clear signs.

I clearly stated to Reception that I had already waited 7 hours for an ambulance not to appear and then , despite my symptoms largely resolving, been told by a Paramedic, to attend A&E. I waited two hours for an ECG only to be told I should have come earlier., then a further hour for a 2 minute 'Triage' and another hour for an incompetent to fail to get blood out of either arm, despite very clearly visible veins all over the place.

The prospect of a futher 4-8 hours, most likely to be told that whatever event I had experienced had passed before the ECG could pick it up..was just too much, after having only 4 hours sleep in 24 , no dinner and being in something resembling a super spreader event.

Anyway.  I'm home and all's well.  I'm going to enquire whether my GP has ECG facilities so that if this happens again, I don't have to bother the Emergency Services.  Of course, anything worse and I'll call 999.

Of course I'm not blaming the NHS for this. Obviously COVID is having a big impact, but the main problem seems to me to be the fact that the NHS wasa already weakened by neglect, sneaky privatisation, and chronic underfunding for at least 12 years by a Govt. which is fundamentally opposed to its existence.

Glad your'e feeling better Col, and I do understand the frustration of waiting in A&E. As my beloved is fond of pointing out, I'm not the most patient of people, I can't stand queuing more than a few minutes...

Having said that you have a series of problems far more serious than anything I've had to deal with so in your place I just might have been inclined to grin and bear it, not assume I'd be "most likely be told" anything.

When the medicine man suggested exercise I'm reasonably confident he meant something a tad less strenuous than weight lifting and marathon swim sessions. He would "most likely tell " you it's overdoing it.

The lack of sleep, food and uncomfortable surroundings you describe would, I'm sure, make a vicar swear, but you must be feeling better, you couldn't resist a bit of a political dig at the Tories...   thumbsup

Congratulations on your 'Golden Wedding Anniversary' Mr and Mrs DJ. I hope you have enjoyed your special day, and I hope you get sorted with your treatment at the hospital soon. :).

Bit late in the day but, Heartiest Congratulations to you both, Mr & Mrs. DJ360. Hope you've had a great day. (My 57th this year).

Sorry DJ360  I send all my Congratulations to you and Mrs DJ360  Like one or two of us members a bit late. but I send it with best wishers. 

Its looks like we all married n the same year !!!!!

GOOD YEAR 1965 

Maybe one year we can all have a """PARTY""""":Friends:

Been to Leighton Buzzard Golf Club today ……not to have a round you understand,  I’ve always found golf very boring …… but we were helping good friends celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary.  So that’s two couples I know who tied the knot on 15th April 1972 and I wasn’t at either of the weddings.  A really lovely afternoon once we got there, the M1 was the usual Bank Holiday nightmare made worse by the FA Cup semi between Man City and Liverpool being played at Wembley when there were no trains from up there to London. 

Did you go in the church up there, it has 3 pulpits each one higher up than the one below, and enclosed ‘family pews’ for the rich peopl back in the day?

Just had a full roast lamb dinner in church this morning after the service, followed by a choice  of 6 desserts.  Only just  home…. Time for a nap I think!

• Like 1

Our village church had a recent interior refurbishment whereby they put in a counter down one side to serve post service refreshments. They chose to use white plastic for the counter and its front elevation. The place now looks very similar to the Chinese fish and chip shop in Southwell. I think it’s sacrilege in a 13C building. I wonder if they hand out menus with the hymn books?

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Whitby was, for many years, my second home and I know it well. Much of the woodwork in that church is made from old ships' timbers.  Please give Whitby my regards, RR.

Whitby is fish and chip connoisseur’s heaven. The Magpie cafe comes to mind but there are many more excellent establishments. 

The Magpie was the place to go in the 1970s. It won rave reviews for its fish and chips. The building was formerly the Harbour Master's house.  In more recent times, venues such as Harry Ramsden's have sprung up. I did most of my teaching practice in Whitby, many years ago.

• Like 1

I was fortunate in that I had friends in Whitby with whom I stayed. If students could provide their own accommodation, they could pick their area of teaching practice. North Riding College, then part of Leeds University, covered a huge area and students whose accommodation was in halls ended up doing teaching practice in places like Middlesborough, Bradford and Huddersfield. Not so nice,  especially when dysentery broke out in a school in Bradford which resulted in students being so ill they had to face an extra term in order to qualify!