• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Whitby is fish and chip connoisseur’s heaven

Seems to be a permanent queue of 40 plus outside Trenchers from 11 in the morning until closing, we went Hadley's over swing bridge, being a Radford lad I like a plate, knife & fork & dollop of tartar sauce, if you ain't got contactless payment your going to starve & die of thirst, no one taking cash.

We’re there still shops in Whitby  selling expensive jewellery made from jet?

radfordred not really owt to do with Whitby but your comment about enclosed box pews. My first marriage was at Tythby Holy Trinity Church on Tythby Lane between Cropwell Butler and Bishop and it is such a quaint church. Built originally in the 13th century and rebuilt in the 18th. The bells and font date from 1662 and my two children were christened there. There are a number of box pews there if you want to go and see them. 

Mrs B

Yes, indeed, Phil. I knew Goathland long before it was Adensfield! The church there has furniture crafted by Thompson, the mouse man. Our refectory tables and benches at North Riding College were also by him. Many years previously, the College had been a boarding school.

8 hours ago, MargieH said:

We’re there still shops in Whitby  selling expensive jewellery made from jet?

On my 55 wedding anniversary  a couple of years ago, master brought me a small black heart which was made from Whitby jet, so the shops must still be there. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/16/2022 at 6:46 AM, mary1947 said:

Sorry DJ360  I send all my Congratulations to you and Mrs DJ360  Like one or two of us members a bit late. but I send it with best wishers. 

Its looks like we all married n the same year !!!!!

GOOD YEAR 1965 

Maybe one year we can all have a """PARTY""""":Friends:

I am amazed that not one of our members has picked me up on my maths.  Yes I was married in 1965 but DJ as it is your Golding wedding Annivarsay, you must have married in 1972?                      Still waitig for my invite to the Party, 

• Like 1

Yes @MargieH plenty of shops selling Whitby Jet and a museum, they seem to like their fossils? 

These pews @MRS B where completely enclosed & named, you’d be on your tiptoes to see who was in, didn’t see any unenclosed seating, wonder if the phrase “Your names not down, your not coming in” originates from? 

Just need an excuse now to get me home, have a meeting in Cross Keys @ 3 Forest kick off @ 8 ;)

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

In more recent times, venues such as Harry Ramsden's have sprung up. 

There was a Harry Ramsden's in Nottingham (on Queen's Drive) in the 90s, but it didn't last very long. Never went in so I don't know if it was any good.

4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I am amazed that not one of our members has picked me up on my maths. 

I suspect many did Mary, but were too polite to point it out...     :P

• Like 1
18 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Our village church had a recent interior refurbishment whereby they put in a counter down one side to serve post service refreshments. They chose to use white plastic for the counter and its front elevation. The place now looks very similar to the Chinese fish and chip shop in Southwell. I think it’s sacrilege in a 13C building. I wonder if they hand out menus with the hymn books?

Church buildings were built to glorify God and I feel certain that God wouldn’t disapprove of serving the community in this way.  Some people revere these ancient church buildings but care nothing about God for whom they were originally built!   It makes me sad when old church buildings and Cathedrals are treated more like museums than places of worship.
To me, this seems more like sacrilege than putting a white plastic counter in an old building, although maybe they could have blended it in better?  Whatever…… 

Many churches now are furnished with Ikea sofas, chairs and coffee tables, the pews having been removed. The organ stands silent, replaced by drum kits, guitars, PA systems, etc. This is, apparently, what people want these days. I'm not a churchgoer, therefore it doesn't affect me.  I find it increasingly difficult to reconcile much of what goes on inside religious establishments with my concept of God. As Dave Allen was wont to say, "May your god go with you!"

If it helps churches to stay open and attract more people through the door, isn’t that better than it falling into disrepair or, even worse, being turned into a Wetherspoons?

Margie, there's many aspects I like about the Amish, we have a large community of Amish where I live, and growing yearly with Amish being persecuted in other states moving down here, one is they do not have churches. They call Sunday, meeting day, where the locals meet at each others houses and give blessing for their life on earth. My wife attends the local Baptist Church, no crosses, statues or other graven images.

Although the Amish do create a danger when driving on our narrow county roads, they do leave plenty of warning there's a buggy ahead of you, "horse apples" on the road!! One soon gets used to them, friendly people too!!

I live in what is known as the "Bible Belt", and believe me, there are loads of Churches in a small area and most are brimming full on Sunday and the Pastors very busy, many are full time Pastors, some hold a full time job down.

• Like 1

Which Cods Scallops are you on about @letsavagoo?  The Carrington one is very local for us and we’ve used it a lot since it opened but just recently it’s gone downhill, so much so that a couple of weeks ago, having paid for very dry Cod and overcooked chips I sent them an email to complain, and that’s something I’ve never done before at any shop or restaurant.  I got a very apologetic reply offering me a complimentary meal next time I go in.  Yet to take advantage of their offer but hope they took note of my comments.  

Lizzie you should have told them straightaway if the fish was dry. Restaurants prefer customers if they complain to do so at the time not later. Things are always corrected then. However they have done the correct thing in offering a complimentary meal.

We had a brass plaque made when we had the restaurant in R.O.T. It read “ If you like what we do tell others, if you don’t , tell us. Constructive comments are always useful.

• Upvote 1

Today has been a sad day for us. We organized a BBQ for a few of the family (11 of us) As we were starting to set everything up outside my DIL asked me to ring my son straightaway which I did. He had found out that my nephew died at 5am this morning. I phoned his brother (M) and he said that he’d seen C last night and had told M to wake him up at 5am because he had to “fetch his scooter” He always was a joker and M said later “ C you had the last laugh”My 3 nephews have visited us here so the family knew them so we all drank a toast for him and sent a photo. He was only about 48. He had been I’ll for quite some time and was waiting for a transplant.