How's your day?

I married in youth, then in late 20s , then in mid 30s. All very different  wonderful experiences from which I like to think I learnt things. Looking back I can see that I was a different person at each stage. Indeed I am different now to how I was in my 30s-40s.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I was 18 going on 19 when I married in 1965  and we are still together,

We have had our ups and downs once when we were youger I threw a chicken pie at him, but he ducked and it hit the wall !!!

One Sunday I called it a day,  one younster in the pram and the other sitting on the pram seat. Walked all the way to my parents which was about 5 miles. When I arrived at mum n' dads   I  told them "Thats enough I've  left him""  only for my dad to say " Get in the car, you have made you bed now you have got to lie in it"  and with that he took me home.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I were two months short of my 22nd birthday when I married in Sept. 1965. In all that time we've only had one row. It started in 1967.:sorry:

• Like 1

mary1947 who wouldn’t have wanted to throw a chicken pie (or worse) at their husband at some point in their marriage top effort.

Have learnt over many years now that the things that really annoy you are outweighed by the things that are good about the person you share your life with.

my mother always used to say that no one can fault you for thinking what you want but don’t always voice it - good advice.

• Like 4

annswabey   yes in one way I agree 

Having said that i think marriages go in trends,  my mum and dad were 28 and 30 when they married, then came the 60s reverlution most of your friends used to have ""shotgun weddings" (for thoes who don't know what this was !!)   before that magic invention of the birth pill most women with men's help ended up pregnant so the customs were that the father of the bride would stand behind the groom at the alter making sure that they were married.  Then came along FREEDOM FOR US LADIES!!!!! The Birth Pill. Now chaps had, had a choice what happened before now we could compete on there leval..HA! HA!  

Nowdays it has changed again   my youngest son and wife lived together then had their two children, then married by this time there children were 12  and 6   then they went out and brought an engagement ring, and a party.  Nowdays some couples never get married.

Paul and I were both  23 when we got married in 1966.   I suppose many people married in their teens and twenties in those days because most people didn’t live together before getting married.  If you wanted to be together all the time, you got married!

At least that was true of everyone I knew

• Like 1

My parents married in 1949, aged 24 and 23. They were both strong-willed characters and like anyone else could have their moments. My mother was of the view that once you've made your promises, you stick with it. However, she did once express the view that if she'd been born when I was, instead of in the 1920s, she probably wouldn't have bothered marrying and would have had a career instead. Neither of my parents ever put any pressure on me to marry or have children. In fact, they counselled against it. Knowing me as well as they did, they knew it would never work. My sister married and produced children, which was all she ever wanted out of life.

• Like 1

I was twenty and Janet was nineteen when we married in 1965.  We were young but we loved each other dearly.  We'd have still been together if she hadn't gone and died on me in 1999.   we learned to compromise well.  We looked forward to sitting out on our deck with our dog into old age but it wasn't to be.  The word 'divorce' was never in our dictionary.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Alpha said:

Nonna,

what a lovely fig tree. I've a potted one and it's producing a fairly good growth but not, as yet, as prolific as yours. Good luck!

Weve always had a few figs even the first year( when it was literally just a twig) this is the first year weve had a bumper crop. Last year we thought how lucky we were to be able to pick some every day. The first ones to ripen are very big so its a race to get up first to pick for breakfast:rulez:

On the subject of marriage, we were both 26. My mum said " I hope you know what you're doing."  Imagine it was because he wasn't English and maybe terrified that he would leave me. She never really liked him in the first years but in later years she got quite fond of him. We've been married now on Monday for 52 yrs. He left this morning to spend a few days in Sicily with his family but is returning on Monday so we can celebrate. He left me a note" don't forget to take Misty out, love you V M xxxx. I will call when I get to Palermo " He left at 4 am this morning.

• Like 2

Just arrived in Bulwell - going for lunch at Wetherspoons I think.  See some of you at the LK tomorrow I hope

Must have just missed you Margie..........didnt go in Wetherspoons...(dont use it anymore) but was in Bulwell couple of hours.....got Hospital appointment tomorrow so wont be at meet -up either........hope you all have nice gossip........:)

• Upvote 1

Sorry we didn’t see you Ben.  We enjoyed our ( very cheap!’ meal  in Bulwell and loved hearing lots of lovely Nottingham accents.  Went in a couple of Charity shops and was surprised how inexpensive everything was -

half the price of shops in the Ely/Cambridge area.

We are now relaxing in our hotel room and looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow.

4 hours ago, katyjay said:

Nonna. We will be in Messina, Sicily for the day in September. Do you know it, any recommendations of what to see?

Kath Ive only been to Messina via the ferry so sorry cant say what will be interesting. Have a look online. Pity you wont be further up north. We are hoping to go to Sicily in August ( i said never again in August , too hot, but its the only time we can leave the dogs with my daughter) 

We will be in Palermo , Trabia, Valledolmo. 

• Upvote 1

Just got back from the docs. Had our Spring boosters, of which was Moderna this time,after three Pfizer shots. Just wonder if we'll be called back about October/November for an annual shot like the flu jabs. Just need a Distemper shot to finish the set.

Really can't walk today.. may even need to resort to Codeine. Yesterday I cut and strimmed the front grass, then used the powered lawn raker to get the moss out.  The 'moss basket' gets full after a single pass, so that I'm back and forth to the green bin. That's what did me.

I've devised a plan for a better way of doing the larger back lawn.  Theory is to start from one edge and work to just beyond half way, without using the basket. Should end up with a long mound of moss, which I can bring the bin to.  Clear up, then repeat, with a slight overlap, from the opposite edge. Should work.

Meanwhile..there's a similar thread to this over on my other favourite site, so although I've already mentioned some of this stuff here, it's easier for me just to copy this epic moan from there into here:

"More of a 'this week', than just 'today'. I have to drive to Scotland next week for a funeral so decided to sort out a few issues with the car. None absolutely necessary, but bugging me.

So, two new tyres to replace a couple of six year old barely worn Dunlops, which had an MOT advisory for splitting between treads, just like the earlier ones which were replaced under warranty. Note to self. No more sodding Dunlops.

Also, oil and filter change, which is a PITA on the Civic unless you have a pit on your drive, because you have to reach over the engine and remove the filter by feel, and replace the same way... That did nothing for my aching knees.

Also, not yet mentioned in MOT, but some fogging of the headlight lenses, so I employed the final polishing stage from the Holts polishing kit I bought for doing Mrs Col's lights. Took three applications of the polish and some time, so might have been better to start with the finest grit, then the polish, but 'Hey Ho'..as they say. More joy for the knees.

Since I'm also taking friends to the funeral, I've decided to get the car fully valeted, because i just can't be arsed. So, I shall employ the talents of the very hard working crew of gentlemen, and one stunningly beautiful young lady, of indeterminate Eastern European heritage, who operate just off the A580.

Finally, and non negotiable..needed to renew the Road Tax..which went up by £15 between the reminder and me paying..to £290 p.a. It's getting ridiculous and I'm coming to the view that maybe there ought to be some relationship between annual mileage and road tax, easily assessed via MOT records.

So, a bit over £500 on the car this week and I've been nowhere yet."

I do love a good moan....:rolleyes:

You do like putting yourself through the mill Col... 

Don't stretch yourself too far driving to Porridegland there's a good chap...

• Like 1

nonnaB Happy Anniversary wishes for tomorrow, enjoy your day

Mrs B