• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Don't polish CDs in circles.  They are read by the laser in a spiral, starting at the middle and running outwards. If you polish in circles you have more chance of creating a scratch along the 'curve' of the data. It's stored as a series of 'pits and lands'.

Ususal recommendation is to polish or clean radially, in lines from the centre hole to the rim.

So, on Weds, having 'prepped' my car, I set off for Largs, with three passengers and luggage, to attend the funeral of our friend Joanne.

After about ten miles on the M6, the exhaust decided to start blowing.  Nothing too dramatic, but audible.  You couldn't make it up. So, we stopped, as planned, at Tebay (Over rated IMHO) and found a Kwik-Fit in Carlisle, where a very kind chap wired up the failing exhaust such that if any part separated from another, it would not fall off into the road. It was too late for him to order in a replacement. He said 'No charge', but I dropped him a tenner for his trouble.

So, when we finally arrived a couple of hours late to Largs, we discovered that there was a Kwik-Fit literally 100 yards from our accommodation. Chap had a look and confirmed that middle and rear boxes needed replacement.  That'll be £360 Sir!.  Oh well.. As it was I needed the car Thurs so I arranged to leave it Thurs night and put the key through their letter box.  By the time I arrived to enquire as to progress on Friday morning, it was done.

On Thurs, the funeral was, if there is such a thing.. a very nice one, with thoughtful tributes , readings etc.. and some well chosen music.

Very good reading by one of Joanne's grandchildren. At 11 years old, he's already a published author:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldier-Jackson-Wild/dp/1803692871/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2UMVV4KOUHMOI&keywords=soldier+jackson+wild&qid=1651918332&s=books&sprefix=Soldier+Jackson+Wild%2Cstripbooks%2C78&sr=1-1

I spoke to him at the 'wake', and showed him pics of my Grandad in WW1, which he seems to have appreciated. We chatted for a while and his knowledge was amazing.

Sadly, weather was typically 'dreek',and rain most of the way home spoiled the 'fun' of the drive, but we're glad we went.

• Upvote 2

For 360 quid DJ thought you would get a complete rebuild back in the 60s could get a complete system for my moggy minor for 6 quid every thing is a rip off any glad you survived the trip.

• Like 1

£360 does sound like a lot for less than a full system... My second car, a Mk2 Zephry with 27k on the clock - £275    :P

Paid £200 for a yellow two bucket seat ford Capri.............wedged the girl friend in the passenger seat and set off for Skeggy.......

Blew up just outside Lincoln................:Shock:

• Like 1

We too have a Capri it was also yellow we sold it to a man. If it was yellow with a black roof, then sorry Ben if it cocked it toes up. The big problem with Capri was when it snowed the front of the car was too big so you had no control.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Paid £200 for a yellow two bucket seat ford Capri.............wedged the girl friend in the passenger seat and set off for Skeggy.......

Blew up just outside Lincoln................:Shock:

Why did the girl friend blow up ?   ;)

• Like 1

Help needed please from members  

My grandson Joe plays in a group and they made it through to  the semi-final to play at ROCK CITY. to get to the finals they need votes. If you go to Hucknall Dispatch and follow the link you can vote. They play blues and rock and are a local group called the "Thrasonic"  if you would like to see them before you vote they look on you tube. you can also go to www.nusic.org.uk/fsn you can also go and find them on twitter.

Please mebers give my granson Joe your support

"Thrasonic needs you ""

I drove a red capri round Bristol once, decided that the seat needed reclining a little and managed to recline it fully and then being quite short couldn’t see over that really long bonnet. Ha

No it didn’t Ian but probably would have been a good idea. 

A very BIG THANKS to members who have voted for my grandson's group to play at "Rock City"  if any members still would like to give the "The Thrasonic"  the voting closes Sunday at 11-00 pm if you like Blues and good old fashion Rock n'Roll then please give them your vote so at the venue we have a local group.  

Not sure about the Thrasonic then take a look at them on you-tube.  Lets put a Nottm group on the map.:jumping:mn

ps if you still whould like more info then take a look at my son's facebook page Paul Dawn lives in Hucknall with wife Nina.

20 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

For 360 quid DJ thought you would get a complete rebuild back in the 60s could get a complete system for my moggy minor for 6 quid every thing is a rip off any glad you survived the trip.

19 hours ago, Brew said:

£360 does sound like a lot for less than a full system... My second car, a Mk2 Zephry with 27k on the clock - £275    :P

I'm quite sure it wasn't the cheapest possible option, but I was rather 'stuck' as I was hundreds of miles from home and had little free time to faff about, or to get the job sorted, as I was there for a funeral.  Also, I've done a quick sweep of prices and they vary wildly, as exhaust prices have always done. I needed two sections, each including a silencer box.  Sections vary from about £100, to over £200, depending where you look.  Eurocarparts, who I use a lot for a decent compromise between price and quality, quote around £130 for each section, but then of course you have to fit them, or get them fitted.  I've had cheap exhaust components fitted in the past and they have either rotted in minutes, or failed from causes like welding very cold metal, which creates a hardened brittle area of metal close to the weld which can just snap.

The first exhaust fitted to my Civic lasted for 11 years and fell in half as I was driving to Nottm to arrange my Mum's funeral. I had it replaced at Kwik-Fit in Arnold. That was 2015 and cost the best part of £300 as I recall.

Next, someone drove into me from behind and the damage included a broken exhaust. That was the night before a funeral in Liverpool in Jan 2018 The car was just about driveable and got me to and from the funeral before repair.

So the exhaust fitted by the repairers lasted a bit over four years..which is about par for the course.

The new one has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. The warranty doesn't mention funerals.

20 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Help needed please from members  

My grandson Joe plays in a group and they made it through to  the semi-final to play at ROCK CITY. to get to the finals they need votes. If you go to Hucknall Dispatch and follow the link you can vote. They play blues and rock and are a local group called the "Thrasonic"  if you would like to see them before you vote they look on you tube. you can also go to www.nusic.org.uk/fsn you can also go and find them on twitter.

Please mebers give my granson Joe your support

"Thrasonic needs you ""

One last plea folks my Grandsons group the Threasonic are in 4th position please, please cast your vote and see if we can get them to play at Rock City  you only have till 11 00 pm tonight. A very big thanks to all members that have already voted.

12 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

One last plea folks my Grandsons group the Threasonic are in 4th position please, please cast your vote and see if we can get them to play at Rock City  you only have till 11 00 pm tonight. A very big thanks to all members that have already voted.

Done.

• Like 1