How's your day?

My girlfriend in the 60s (who I dearly loved) wore Avon "Wishing"!!!!!

I remember it well.

Why Oh Why did we part ways?

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My sister had quite a lucrative Avon round in her late teens. In those days, reps were provided with a blue tweedy sample case, full of samples of perfumes, lipsticks, etc, at no cost. I think that's changed now!  When the order arrived, I used to help her sort it out. All the presentation boxes came flat-packed and had to be assembled. That was my job!  Then, I'd go with her on her delivery rounds. Avon was very popular at Christmas. Pretty Peach for children was a frequent gift.  Over the years, I've ordered Avon from various colleagues at work but most of them eventually gave it up due to grumbles about being sent the wrong products and being unable to make any profit for all the time and effort they put in. Avon is now available on the internet which must make it more difficult for those who have a part time round.

Over the years, the perfume range has changed but, to my amazement,Occur has always been retained so someone must like it! To me, it was the equivalent of Devon Violets. Guaranteed to trigger a migraine!  I find it difficult to wear perfume as the fragrance has usually vanished within minutes of putting it on but one Avon product I did like was Soft Musk.

I was a Sarah Coventry jewellery demonstrator in the 70’s doing house sales parties. There’s quite a lot of their stock on sale on eBay now I see. I remember it being quite tricky as there was always a lot of people at the parties (free food and entertainment)  but no one was really eager to book a party themselves. 

It looks like there's only me, Annswabey and Buckrats. So goodnight cockers. B.

• Like 2

Last week the weather was beautiful, plenty of sun and warm evenings. We bought a gazebo for eating outside ( we face south so we get the sun all day) the gazebo was erected by my husband and 2 friends. We invited them and their wives and 2 in-laws for dinner Sunday night. Around the time when we were getting everything sorted we saw a menacing black cloud and heard the farmers shooting into the clouds because of a threatened storm . As our guests were arriving it looked a bit brighter but as we all sat down( the precise minute) it started to rain quite heavily. It didn’t last long but it had turned cold and although not windy there was a breeze that was cold. Fortunately the women had brought cardigans and I only had a thin blouse on and got wet had to fetch a jacket. Anyway we all enjoyed the evening and the gazebo had been christened.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As far as I can remember seeding is suppose to encourage rain.  Cloud cannons are supposed to prevent hail stones growing to a size whereby they cause damage. Seeding I'd heard of, cannons I hadn't. Neither seems particularly effective, I suspect it's more a mix of tradition and old wives tales than any real benefit.

Brew not sure if these are cannons we hear but thats what the farmers call them. They use them when theres a great chance of heavy hailstones. In this area every spare piece of land is a vineyard and to have a heavy hail storm at this point will be disastrous as well as reducing the quality of the following years wine. We are famous for Barbera wine so to us its important . Barbera d'Asti. We have quite a few producers in the village and surrounding areas and they get very upset when the storms threaten.

This practice has been in force for a long time many more years that the 2 years in the article ( which i saw after i replied to Brew) It does work, we hear thunder rolls a couple of times, hear the cannons and then we dont hear any more thunder. It just rains.

The theory is a small gas generated explosion creates a shockwave directed towards the clouds. The energy in such a shockwave will be tiny compared to the  level created by a thunderclap, but no doubt many will swear by the practice and say it's the cannons not the thunder that are effective.

I looked it up and the journal Meteorologische Zeitschrift (2006) concluded they were a waste of time and money. French vineyards have used church bells, rockets and gunfire for the same purpose.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anti-hail-canon-have-an-inglorious-history-l2sjwxspt

Just dropped my daughter off at work. She has to prepare a cheese sauce for the gnocchi she will serve at the wine festival this weekend. She has to take the rind off the cheese and cook it into a creamy sauce. Seems straight forward but she has 32 x 3 kg cheese forms to do. Adding also 120 liters of cream. She has made this dish every year for the festival apart from last year and it’s very popular. All the nearby exhibits exchange dishes because from morning til midnight they have to eat:rolleyes:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Brew said:

Why were farmers shooting at clouds?

Dunno about hail, but around here the farmers use some sort of automated bird scarer, which goes off like a cannon shot every so often.  For some reason there are two loud bangsinrapid succession.  If the wood pigeons are doing as much damage to thecrops as they are to my Cherry trees, I wouldn't blame the farmers for setting up machine gun posts.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:33 PM, Brew said:

My daughter bought me Old Spice a few years ago, it was so rank I think it's fake, it's still in the cupboard. Any perfume or fragrance used in excess is a no, no, yet some seem oblivious to the noxious cloud around them.

Perfume should be subtle, not a punch between the eyes.

Back in the day I had Aramis and Givenchy, still in the cabinet, but almost never wear it now. I think like many fashions wearing aftershave has had its day.

I never found any aftershave, or EDT, which didn't make my skin feel oily, and which didn't really 'get up my nose'. The worst period was about 15 years ago when every young lad was wearing that bloody awful 'Izzy Miyake' stuff.  To me..it smelt like stale pee.

One day, my daughter gave me a sample of Paul Smith Extreme, which I really liked.  It didn't 'get up my nose' or make my skin feel oily, and I've been using both the Paul Smith, and the Paul Smith Extreme versions ever since.

Proper stuff.  Subtle, understated, but classy.  A true reflection of my personality..:rolleyes:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Just dropped my daughter off at work. She has to prepare a cheese sauce for the gnocchi she will serve at the wine festival this weekend. She has to take the rind off the cheese and cook it into a creamy sauce. Seems straight forward but she has 32 x 3 kg cheese forms to do. Adding also 120 liters of cream. She has made this dish every year for the festival apart from last year and it’s very popular. All the nearby exhibits exchange dishes because from morning til midnight they have to eat:rolleyes:

By coincidence Nonna, I did my own down market version of that yesterday.  I had some left over Cauliflower Cheese, so I mashed that together with a boiled potato and made it into sort of Potato Cakes, each with a few cooked Garden Peas inside.  These I fried in bacon fat until nicely brown both sides and scoffed with a bit of bacon for my evening meal.  Luvleh... :)

Meanwhile, in the never ending saga of my knee surgery....

Last Thursday, I fired off a very polite but extended moan to the Secretary of the Surgeon who is supposedly doing my knee replacements at some point, explaining that I am now 6 weeks on from the third pre-op and still no date for surgery and nobody answering their phones. She replied that she will ask the 'Admissions Team' to update me... I decided not to hold my breath....

So..yesterday morning, in the post, I received an appointment...  for..... 

A FOURTH PRE-OP!!! ...on 6th June. :angry2:

I called the number on the letter, spoke to a young lady who told me that this appointment was sent out in error and that she would cancel it.  I enquired as to where I'm up to in the queue for surgery and was advised to call 'Lauren' in Admissions, today.

I called Lauren..who informed me that the FOURTH pre -op should not have been cancelled as pre ops 2 and 3 were specifically for 'risk assessment' due to my Cardio issues and I still needed the 'full pre-op' 'with the nurses'.  I couldn't be bothered arguing that 'the nurses' had repeated all checks and tests..weight, height, blood samples, ECG, BP, swabs, etc..etc.. at each of the three preceding pre-ops, 'to keep them valid'.

Whatever..'Lauren' informed me that all IT, emails etc.. had just 'gone down', and undertook to call me back later....

You couldn't make it up.

DJ I feel for you as I have had all the same situations as you, I have tried banging my head against a brick wall but all that achieved was a headache . But I am now only 2 days from my shoulder op after a 3 year saga, so hang in there it will turn out OK for you in the end.

• Like 1

Almost as many double posts as pre ops... :blink:

Miracle of Miracles!!!  'Lauren' has just called me back and finally confirmed that I am 'cleared for surgery' and don't need another pre-op.

She apparently just needs to find a date when a specific anaesthetist is working alongside the surgeon and that needs to be within the next six weeks...

• Like 1

Had a letter today saying my house is near a designated avian flu area. Only thing is it doesn’t tell you where it is! 

22 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

She apparently just needs to find a date when a specific anaesthetist is working alongside the surgeon and that needs to be within the next six weeks..

Let's hope it's sooner rather than later – although the cynic in me suspects it will be when there's a gap in his more lucrative private work... 

• Like 1

DJ The gnocchi my daughter makes is served with a cheese called Castelmagno. Don’t think she’s taken the rind off them all yet.

• Like 1