How's your day?

Thanks for your message Ian. I certainly wish your daughter's f.i.l. gets better soon and send my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I'm still administering medication to 'er indoors, but hopefully that should end next Friday.

Your bbq sounds rather good ! I'll bring me own bread rolls. By now you should just about be enjoying it. Cheers cocker.  B.

And Good Night One and All.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Beekay how long do you zap them in the microwave once washed and cored? Do you peel them? Do you cover them or add any water? Intriguing.

sorry like 20 questions from me

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Still only 3 of us... But who are all these mysterious 47 guests.

Answers on a postcard CT. 

Many of them are Bots, just trawling around the Net and latching onto anything that grabs their attention.

The few Guests who are real people have probably landed here because they searched a particular subject - eg Drury Hill/Wheeler Gate/Basford - and were directed to the relevant threads here.

• Like 1

MrsB., in reply to your culinary question...Yes, I do Peel and core, then dice them up before nukeing them. No need to put water in. Time depends on how much I've prepared, it's just trial and test. Give it a minute, then put it back if needed. This is for Bràmleys.

One can use eaters but as we have only a Bramley near us it doesn't matter. Of course, because the tree is not treated I do make sure there's no visitors inside. If it's a nice big apple then it's just cored and sultanas are crammed inside, then it's 'Baked Apple' with ice cream or custard.

Bramleys are ideal for apple sauce because they easily soften when heated. There are better varieties for pies though. The best we had was an Annie Elizabeth which was both a cooker and an eater. The fruit stayed firm when cooked. Sadly we allowed a Rambling Rector rose to climb over her and it finished her off. There's a moral here somewhere!

It's amazing how sweet a Bramley becomes when heated. Got to be chemical action involved. I much prefer fresh picked apple for sauce rather than shop bought, which is too sweet.

One of our Bramleys is a clone from the original tree which is still in existence at Easthope in Southwell. The cloning was done at Nottingham University in 1991. Cloning of these trees is still going on. After a poor crop last year all of our fruit trees are laden. The cherries are always eaten by the birds though.

I seem to remember something I heard that the original Bramley was slowly dying (of old age?), so efforts were in progress to save cuttings or whatever they do, in order to conserve the line.

• Upvote 1

Did you know that Annie Elizabeth is a Leicestershire Apple ? The most popular story of its origin is that it was named by Samuel Greatorex after his illegitimate daughter who died although there are several other claims on its origin. Bit like the Bartlett pear which Is called that because Mr Bartlett took a William pear tree to America and then laid claim to its origin. 

I did but only after we took a sample to an expert who was identifying apples at Lowdham village hall some years ago. It was an old tree, at least 60 years to my knowledge and I think it was probably planted when the house was built around 1935. Both an excellent eating and cooking apple. The expert identified it at first sight without even cutting or tasting it.

Talking about apples - I'll be setting up the cider press and scratter this week ready to display at the w/e open gardens. Tempted to keep the kit in place and invite the villagers to bring their apples in when ripe - maybe Sept. Bramley's are said to be OK for cider although I've not been impressed with what others have made. If I do make cider with a collection of garden apples I'll probably add crab apples from the golf course - they are bitter sweet and reminded me of one of the cider apples I used to use. 

• Upvote 1

Just come on NS after a few days "rest" so first of all Welcome back Carni pleased everything went well and you are getting back to your chirpy self. Mr & Mrs trogg a very happy 55 th wedding anniversary although a bit late.  Fruit trees this year all seem to be thriving. Our fig tree is laden down with still more starting to form. Its been a good bargain from Lidl at €1.99 a few years ago. Wish the lemon trees had been the same but the winter killed them off. Next door has. Nespoli tree that is laden too, they dont collect the fruit and pointed out to my husband how many there were. My husband said jokingly Ill pick them for you and take them to the market and sell them for you. His reply was " can you eat them"? He also has a cherry tree and they leave them to rot. Such a shame. They have quite a few vineyards around us and earlier the year they planted 250 hazlenut trees on land in front of our house. Now he is worried about the lack of water to water them. He has 2 wells on the property and one is completely dry. Its so hot and this week its getting up to 40c. Its been 35 this last week with no breeze and certainly no rain which we despareatly need. 

Good luck with the cider PP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This morning my neighbour gave me a shopping bag full of nespoli, they are so sweet.

I've always know this fruit as Nespole but just found out they are Medlars. You learn something every day.thumbsup

I was just admiring the prolific crop on our Nottingham Medlar tree today. They won’t be ready until around October and then they have to be picked and left to ‘blet’ (almost go rotten!). A Welsh lady down our lane made some into medlar gin last time we had a crop. I poured it down the sink after the first sip!

Talking of apples , we used to sneak into a lady's garden on hungerhill road in st anns well ,  who had about 20 cats , we used to call her cats eye kelly , people said she was a witch , but when you're nipper you believe owt , anyway we were up her tree putting apples in our jumper , and she chased us off with a big walking stick , which i mistook for a stick to put spells on naughty little boys !

And talking of cats , in st anns we found a little kitten in the gutter , us four little urchins from the slums of st anns well decided to take it to the police station , not sure where but ransom road rings a bell, 

We walked up to the station desk and said " mister this little kittens lost it's mummy and daddy "  he looked at us and told us to  pee off  and not waste his time ( he was reading a newspaper and a drinking tea ) and take the scrawny kitten with you !!!! 

@MargieH dont worry my sister decided we sneak it in the house , my dad said get that thing out of here , but the next day my dads heart had soften and he lets us keep him a little black bundle of fun we called sooty , we lost him for a week , but someone on our street found him down his cellar ,

My sister Helen was always bringing cats home , i remember another cat stuck on someone bedroom window ledge , forgot how we got him down but he was another addition to our family we called him sparky !!!

• Upvote 1

I'm watching that too Phil. Newstead Abbey scrubs up well !

Last time I went there was in 1966.