• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Only something like 188 days to Christmas.

Should I dig me fairy lights out then Kev ?

And dust me tinsel.

Beekay, the nights can’t be drawing in, it’s the longest day today! They will from now on though 

Don't kill me joke MrsB. I'll have to work out another one now.:rolleyes:

It's now 11.30, so Good night one and all (and you Helen).

Morning David could you not sleep either?

• Upvote 1

Funny thing happened to me when i was a porter in a portsmouth  hospital,  a male patient was a asleep in his bed , i was fiddling about with a bed break , when i stood up , and he awoke and said "where'd you come from " 

I said nottingham , he said "no, i mean where the bloody hell did you spring from "

I said still nottingham mate !!!

20 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Morning David could you not sleep either?

It's along way from st anns well to san pablo city Philippines mary !!!

Today I've mostly been wandering round Wollaton Hall viewing a genuine and complete T. Rex fossil. To say it died 65 million years ago its skeleton is remarkably intact, suspiciously so to my mind, but what do I know? I also have no idea why it is painted  matt black - it rather spoils the effect.

The ticket price is £13, which I thought was just for the T. Rex exhibition. Apparently not, it's now the standard price for entry, It's no surprise therefore to see that there were only 8 visitors actually in the Hall yet loads in the park.

Hi Brew, since when have they been charging an entrance fee for Wollaton hall? I always thought it were free. We had a lovely wedding meal in the great Hall on May 7th, when we came up for niece's marriage.  B.

Evenin' all.

Been a bit busy elsewhere lately, including a couple of Parish Council meetings..for a laugh.. just to see what assorted 'Independent' councillors are up to.. but I'll leave that for another thread...

Anyroadup.. Yesterday, I spent hours on the phone to Wrightington Hospital, to see if I could get any news on my mythical surgery, because my current Pre-Op only has two weeks to expiry.

Endless and repeated phone calls went unanswered, so I determined to try again today and then if no response, actually drive over there and rattle a few cages. I mean I know they are busy..but it's pointless wasting staffing and other resources on endless pre-ops and then not doing the surgery.

So at 08:40 this morning as I was gearing myself up for another 'Telethon', the phone rang.  It was Wrightington Hospital offering me a cancellation for surgery next Monday.

Naturally, I accepted.. Gracefully

But.  The Surgeon told me ages ago to stop taking Aspirin 1 week before surgery. Today I was told to stop 1 day before.  A few other inconsistencies too, so I'll probably be on the phone again tomorrow.. but progress.. :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 6/22/2022 at 12:19 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I have a medlar tree in my garden. The flowers are beautiful but the fruit tastes disgusting!

I've never heard of a Medlar Tree so I went to Mr. Google and he said in the south west of England it has nicknames such as open-arse or monkey's bottom no wonder it did not taste very good.

• Like 1

@Brew o agree about the skeleton- I expect some parts have been cleverly crafted to fit missing parts.  Not that it matters as long as most? of it is a genuine fossil.  

Oztalgian, I have made medlar jelly which has a really nice and a beautiful clear rosehip type colour when done. If you Google medlar jelly recipe and go to davidlebovitz.com there is the recipe. It’s all about the “bletting” process which takes weeks.  Draining it overnight is a bit of a faff but all is worth the effort!

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Hi Brew, since when have they been charging an entrance fee for Wollaton hall? I always thought it were free. We had a lovely wedding meal in the great Hall on May 7th, when we came up for niece's marriage.  B.

According to staff they started charging entrance fees in April. The industrial museum though is not included, it's only open at weekends and is another charge to go round.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

So at 08:40 this morning as I was gearing myself up for another 'Telethon', the phone rang.  It was Wrightington Hospital offering me a cancellation for surgery next Monday.

Fingers and toes crossed for you Col....    thumbsup

Thanks all. It's all a bit scary now it's actually happening, but it has to be done. :blink:

On 6/21/2022 at 4:49 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I have a medlar tree in my garden. The flowers are beautiful but the fruit tastes disgusting!

Jill ours are very sweet. Maybe there’s not enough sun to ripen them properly. I love them.

On 6/21/2022 at 4:52 PM, philmayfield said:

I was just admiring the prolific crop on our Nottingham Medlar tree today. They won’t be ready until around October and then they have to be picked and left to ‘blet’ (almost go rotten!). A Welsh lady down our lane made some into medlar gin last time we had a crop. I poured it down the sink after the first sip!

They must be a different variety to those here.. My neighbours fruit is almost falling from the tree . They’ve been ready for ages. Don’t think I could eat them when rotten. Persimmons are another thing that you have to wait until they are squishy.

11 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I've never heard of a Medlar Tree so I went to Mr. Google and he said in the south west of England it has nicknames such as open-arse or monkey's bottom no wonder it did not taste very good.

Looking at THAT medlar I can see why. Ours look like orange plums