• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Took 'er indoors for cataracts post op today and she passed with flying colours. They were delighted with her recovery and results.

She has now been discharged. So it means I'm going to have to start taking her out again.

• Like 3

Great day today....wore a Tie for the first time in 4 years......

Following my OP on throat thought never wear one again due to position of 'Breathing button''

Have always been a Tie wearer and finally worked out how to wear one again and still be able to Breath.......

Went out for Breakfast with the wife and it felt great.....

Think i was just about the only bloke wearing one......you can guess where i was...........:)

• Like 2

Sorry chaps but

i just love a man in a 3 piece  suit and tie, 

Went to have eyes tested today, no car. so had to use those big red things called buses. 

Getting on at one stop was a young girl and boy friend opps!!! sorry no lionger word boy friend used. must say patner.

Any way back to tale , the girl had big trackie bottoms on, trainers that had seen better days and a large baggy dirty top. The young man was better dressed as he had on a jacket, but do you remember late50s early 60s when most of us wore those american football/baseball jackets with get big numbers on them. Well it was one of those (are they back in fashion) Now the point that I am trying to make is when we were young we would never go out in things that needed a wash, we did not have a lot of money but we always made an effort. Now when this couple are our ages what will be there dress code. 

Answers on a post card please.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that the last time I wore a tie was when I got married, and that's nearly 40 years back, don't even own a suit now, summer it's a loose shirt, or tee shirt and shorts, in winter, a pair of jeans and sweater. If it's bitterly cold, and it can get dangerous here, risk of frost bite etc, I wear a very heavy jacket and scarf around my face.

One interview I went to in Australia for a colliery electricians job, feller before me had applied for an shift elec engineers job. He was dressed casually, clean jeans, dress shirt, no tie and got the position he was after.

Everything I found down under was casual.

I had good advice on job interviews by an engineer I used to work for during my apprenticeship, DON'T put yourself down!! Seems I did that in an interview at Beeston Boiler Company. The engineer was on the interview panel.

I used what he said to get a job at my last colliery in Oz. I took over the interview, I think Kerry , the elec engineer was impressed, I breezed through the interview, eventually was promoted Leading Hand elec  (Chargehand) on nights.

My mum would never ever go out with putting on makeup and I must admit that I was like that but in the last few years I’ve found I cannot keep up with it. In the summer I get a wonderful tan that doesn’t need improving by makeup and besides it melts. During the covid lockdown and the consequences most of my face is covered so I only wear mascara. My dress sense has never left me and I always look in the mirror twice before going out. Another thing , my hair , if it’s in order I can go anywhere but if not I either stay in or get it washed. My husband was fanatical at work. He at one time about 30 suits. ( he bought 21 in one go ) Having the restaurant at that time he would change twice a day.Here things are more casual and he wears jeans and tee shirt or shirt no tie and no jkt unless the weather calls for it. However cold it is he will not wear a scarf. Occasionally he wants to get “dressed up” as he used to especially if we go somewhere that merits more serious attire. I think the days of being dressed up are sadly gone. I have noticed though the young people here although casually dressed are really smart and we don’t see many sloppy kids, even the very young kids are smart. No trendy off beat fashion for them.

• Like 3

nonna, the Italians have always had style and the cut of clothes is very smart. I was always brought up to dress nicely if going out although you wouldn’t agree if you saw me in my allotment garb. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I can beat that. I haven’t worn a tie in seven years. I ceremoniously binned them never to wear a tie again. I’ve stopped wearing spats and plus fours as well. The 21st. Century is here at last! :biggrin:

I bet there's a cravat in your drawer!

18 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Great day today....wore a Tie for the first time in 4 years......

Following my OP on throat thought never wear one again due to position of 'Breathing button''

Have always been a Tie wearer and finally worked out how to wear one again and still be able to Breath.......

Went out for Breakfast with the wife and it felt great.....

Think i was just about the only bloke wearing one......you can guess where i was...........:)

Not in Bulwell, Ben! MacDonald's maybe?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MRS B said:

nonna, the Italians have always had style and the cut of clothes is very smart. I was always brought up to dress nicely if going out although you wouldn’t agree if you saw me in my allotment garb. 

And me at the moment with this heat.my hair has dried as I came in from the pool cooling off and I left it to prepare lunch , even that was cold , tomato and mozzarella.

• Like 1

Just returned from King's Mill Hospital after visiting 92 year old auntie who's in there again. Must be something worth experiencing going on in there when all the visitors have gone home. Wild parties, gambling? 'No!" she said but it made her laugh.

Looked for our Ben but he wasn't there. Shame. We could have had a coffee and a dance!

• Like 5

I'm enjoying the nice wet weather we are getting, been about four days of on and off rain, the ground is starting to get wet from rock hard dry, a couple more days of much cooler wet conditions.

9am Derby Royal Hospital for 6 monthly check-up......alls well...thankyou Lord........

Called in ''Designer Outlet'' on the A38 on way back...fancied some new shoes......Went in several shops but couldnt find anything i fancied......i tell a lie...there was one pair i quite liked....until i saw the price..£269.....do folk really spend that sort of money on shoes....oh yea and special offer on T-Shirts only £20.....WHAT !!!

Ended up buying a nice shirt.......won't mention price....

• Like 3

@benjamin1945Looks like I've been to the wrong hospital again.  Visited auntie in King's Mill today. Costa wasn't even open. So I knew you wouldn't be around!  Took my parents' wedding photos with me. Auntie was a bridesmaid in 1949. She's the only one on the photos who's still here! Even the six and three year old bridesmaids have shuffled off to the wide blue yonder.  It reminded the staff that auntie wasn't always 92 and struggling to walk!

No one to dance with, though!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

...there was one pair i quite liked....until i saw the price..£269.....do folk really spend that sort of money on shoes...

£269 is probably more than I've spent on all the shoes I've owned in the last 30-40 years.

• Like 1