How's your day?

August, like it is here, is when everyone and his relations are going somewhere but never get anywhere . Yesterday as practically every Sunday we meet up with family and have breakfast at the bar. We have 5 bars in the centre of the village and only one was open. It was the one that we had years ago but it’s mainly a man’s bar. The men meet there while the wives are at home ironing or cooking. But we ended up there having a quick coffee and started to go home. On the way through the old part of the village where It’s been renovated there’s a little bar with just a few tables outside, as we passed my husband said shall we go for an aperitif ( 10am) so I said why not. Sunday is a very social event and there’s always someone we know. We saw the son of some friends we hadn’t seen in a while , we asked how they were and the husband was in hospital while the wife is waiting for a knee operation. This is bank holiday weekend when most people go away. Passing the local supermarket there were only a few cars but everywhere else was deserted. We always say in august everything shuts down until the festivities start at the end of the month when the group , who have the key of the village come to sing, then Castagnole delle Lanze will be like the M1 blocked.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Unfortunately Britain's motorway network was conceived in the 1950s based upon a volume of traffic and vehicle design that was already out of date when the first section, the Preston by-pass later M6, opened in 1958. The problems built in to the expanding motorway network by this flawed planning were further compounded by the Beeching report when 4000 miles of rail routes were lost forcing more traffic on to the roads. Subsequent decisions to prioritise passenger travel on the railways rather than freight also led to further congestion. 

In a nutshell our road system is hopelessly out of date and will probably remain so unless there is a long term view taken along with realistic investment in the transport infrastructure as a whole, not just motorways and rail but in towns & cities too

I'm all excited! I'm actually going out!

Hope the knee hold up.

Going into Liverpool on the train to meet three old work colleagues. Only one, pretty erratic bus service through the village at the moment so I was struggling with how to get into St Helens to the rail station and on a local Facebook group asking for recommendations for Taxi firms.

My neighbour spotted my post and has offered to drop me off at the station.

People can be so good.:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We suffered the problems of the the Preston bypass yesterday on our round trip journey to Lancashire. The satnav told me early on that there was a tailback but didn’t say where. The info kept updating and the tailback got longer. Near to Chorley it showed the problem and that it would last for forty minutes. I accepted the alternative route offered which took us up the A6 through Preston. Most other people took this alternative so it was nose to tail, stop start, for miles. After we had crossed the M55 junction to Blackpool the road was virtually deserted but it put an hour and a half on our journey. Looking in the paper today I see there was an air display at Blackpool so that was probably the reason. Coming back the traffic was heavy but moving. Holdups on the A1 were caused by a truck which kept overtaking the traffic but taking about three miles to perform each overtake. Once we got to the front of the queue the road was deserted! I dislike the two lane A1 but we live on that side of the county.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Only one, pretty erratic bus service through the village at the moment so I was struggling with how to get into St Helens to the ra

Hi @DJ360 I've seen from a couple of your posts you live near St. Helens. My father was from Sutton and my Auntie Mary still lives there. When he was alive, even though he hadn't lived there for over thirty years, he still referred to it as going up home when we visited. I still remember being out on the streets with my cousins and their friends laughing every time I said anything because I "talked funny"

• Like 1

The freeway system over this side of the pond goes back to the 1950's, but still keeps up with the traffic, mind it was built for the same reason as the German Autobahn system, to move the military quickly from one end of the country to the other. It had to have long stretches of straight road, which could allow fighters or bombers to land or take off on in a national emergency.

I was reading an article the other day, "will the build any more freeways?" Seems the author doesn't think so.

BUT, more lanes have been added close to cities which helps at the rush hour commutes.

Incidentally, sections of freeways now have 80mph speed limits, experimental, if they get more accidents, the speed will be dropped again. It has been lifted from 55mph to 70 now, bit scary when a 50 ton semi flies past you, although many big haulage companies are governing their trucks to a max 55mph. Tyre blowouts in summer are getting all to common on big rigs, seems tyres for them have a max speed of 65mph continuous.

There's A1 M up north as well but predominantly two lane. Since our daughter moved out of London I've not had the pleasure (if pleasure it be) of driving the A1 any further south than Grantham. I hope I shall never visit London ever again - nor Nottingham unless I really have to!

7 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

German Autobahn system, to move the military quickly from one end of the country to the other. It had to have long stretches of straight road, which could allow fighters or bombers to land or take off on in a national emergency.

Similar sort of plan for the Harriers, when we had them that is, in the event of war. They would disperse from airfields and use bridges over the motorways as hides and the road as runways, moving frequently to avoid detection 

Marine corp had a load of harriers and tested them from  a freeway. But if you've ever driven this side of the pond, we have long stretches that are perfectly straight and level, these were for landing and take off points for the military if needed.

Not sure how long it would take to drive from the east to the west coast, but I've done over 650 miles in one drive on I-40 and I-80, and most truckers can handle 650 miles a day.

All East west freeways are even numbered, north south freeways are odd numbered.

I once covered over 2000 miles from where we lived in California at the time, to the top end of Montana to look at a house and property. I did that alone, started 05-30am Friday morning and arrived back home around 7-00pm Sunday evening, I was absolutely bushed when I got home, shower, pizza to eat then bed.

Phil, I can tell you that when you drive down the A1 past Peterborough, the road opens up to a out 5 lanes. I can only vouch as far as the A14 turn off for Huntingdon, (where I would turn). It's been quite a number of years since I drove further south on the A1.

@Beekay  why would you turn off towards Huntingdon .  That’s what we do!  You haven’t still got that rubber brick have you?

We hired a youhaul truck to move from Cal to Missouri, as we can drive any vehicle on two axles, I think the Youhaul was a 24 footer, brand new, only had a few miles on the clock, automatic too. The wife drove that with a trailer, that was for my tower sections, I drove my full size pickup and 27 foot travel trailer, (caravan).

Both being licensed hams, I put a two meter radio in the truck for her so we could communicate on the way.

We'd got to the top of the Sierra's and it was downhill from there to Reno, some very steep grades, glad the travel trailer had electric brakes!!!!

We started down a steep windy grade and I noticed the wife was riding her brakes, wasn't long before I saw smoke coming from her rear brakes, I shouted for her to pull over to the hard shoulder.

Wouldn't be much longer and she'd have had a brake failure with overheated brakes. She was shaking like a leaf when I got out and got to the truck door. I got her to select manual over ride, and take a much lower gear until we got to the bottom of the grade, and touch the brakes for short periods and let them cool down. Not certain if those rigid trucks have exhaust engine brakes, but we made it to Missouri in one piece.

There's some very steep grades along I-80!!

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

@Beekay  why would you turn off towards Huntingdon .  That’s what we do!  You haven’t still got that rubber brick have you?

Hi Margie, I would only go that way if I were going over Dartford crossing. Route would be...A52 -Grantham-A1 - A14- M11- M25- A22 to home roads. When going to Nottingham, we usually go M25 clockwise- M40- A43- M1-Nottingham.

Incidentally, we've decided not to bother with Wroxham anymore, as 'er indoors is finding the stairs a bit of a bind.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Must be 8 years since I've been beyond Grantham. The last time was with a large hire van. No fun in London!

Phil, I can remember when part of the A1 was just a single road, with what was often called a centre "overtaking" Lane. Neither side had priority, you just took your chance when you could. Seem to recall a dual carriageway down to Colsterworth crossroads, then single lane down to Stamford. It were tough luck if you got stuck behind a slow mover like I was when in crawler gear, going uphill, on me way to Ketton cement with 20 ton of coal.

No more Wroxham!  That’s  a shame BK - I hope you’ll find somewhere else you like  ….. with no stairs x

A hard decision Margie, we've been going there for 25 years. They have one apartment without stairs but the bathroom/toilet is really tiny.

BK I’ve got a few photos for you that I took this morning but they aren’t spectacular but they are our local views. Don’t know if they’re any good for you . Problem is in this heat to take some beautiful views I have to walk around because when I see something worth taking I can’t park anywhere the roads are so narrow and besides there’s a heat haze spoiling the view of Monviso that when it’s clear we see from the end of the road. I’ll keep looking though.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, siddha said:

Rain at last!

When I went out this morning , I thought I’m in heaven. We had a storm last night and the temperature has dropped. It was a real pleasure to walk round the market although only veg and fruit stalls there. I told you in August the towns , villages and cities go into hibernation there’s no one around. Anyway hearing from a cousin in Sicily it’s 44 degrees in Palermo and here passing the local chemist we see that the temperature was 20 degrees. It’s not going to last unfortunately as the mercury is going back up where it was. It has been raining all day so far. We really need it as we all do but happy that the ground will get wet enough to absorb what’s to come because if it doesn’t we will have floods. It will also destroy the vendemmia. Meanwhile we are enjoying the coolness of the moment.

• Upvote 1

Nonna. We will be in Sicily for 1 day around Sept 4 or 5. Can you get them to turn the heat down a bit before we get there, please? We are used to heat but not walking around in it!