• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My first car, a 1954 Ford pop., used to use more oil than petrol. Got it from a little garage on Sherwood rise, at 5/9d a gallon.

Dementia does seem quite a random condition, doesn’t it (unless you’ve had repeated head trauma ). Sorry for the loss of your friend.  Love to Mrs PP  as well x

• Like 1

Went for physio with the lovely Sophie today. Like me, she's a bit concerned about me 'losing' some of the bend in my knee since I overdid things a week or so back. She was going on about the potential for scar tissue to permanently limit movement. Thing is you are supposed to use painkillers to help get 'the bend', but I can't take morphine, codeine messes with my heart rhythm and Ibuprofen is seemingly not good in the elderly and those with cardio issues.  So I'm a bit 'stuffed' really. I've decided I'm just going to have to work really hard on the bend and 'deal with' the pain.

Good job I'm 'ded 'ard'... :wacko:

• Like 2

My day was going fine and peaceful until

5 -10 minutes ago. We were sunbathing and almost asleep when I heard this noise and I thought there’s goes resting.A lorry or tractor disturbing our peace. All of a sudden it became so loud as a jet passed so low right over our heads. It frightened us to death. Just about getting over it when another one came over this time not so low. They often fly over but this time they were so noisy and low. We said they were either seeing if we were using the hose pipe to fill the pool or saying hello to his mum as if she’d gone deaf. Anyway all peace and quiet again now.

Last night RAI tv came to the village as we are being entered into “ one of The most beautiful hamlets of Italy. They’ve been here 3 days filing various areas and learning about the history and wines.My son was interviewed as being a foreigner coming to live here. A while ago I was asked to be interviewed but I declined. We stayed and watched a bit of activity then had a couple of aperitifs and went home.On the way my son called me to say they were looking for another foreigner (me) but I said no. I think they had enough to go on to cover  a 7 minute spot.

• Like 1

Good Grief PP!..you are my hero!!..

Meanwhile..in the continuing saga of Col's knees, there has been a significant development...

On Monday I saw my assigned physio..the lovely Sophie. She was unimpressed with my walking until I told her I'm still getting the painful clicking on the right (operated) knee and increasing pain in the also knackered left knee. She gave me some extra exercises to do.
We then discussed how I'd 'lost' about 10 degrees of bend since my recent setback, despite me doing all of the prescribed exercises. She pointed out that my lack of pain killer use isn't helping in this regard, but I explained that Morphine is out, Codeine affects my heart rhythm and Ibuprofen is ruled out since it is contra-indicated with the drugs I take for my heart.

I showed her another way of bending the knee, which I've been trying. She agreed it was a good move, but would hurt. I pointed out that I was in control of how much it hurt,for how long, and undertook to try it. She suggested holding the move for about 30 seconds at a time.

She asked to see me again in two weeks..so she could 'keep her beady eye on me'. Inexplicably..she also told me that my 'glutes' are pretty weak.. Quite how she knew this was a mystery.. but I resisted the urge to repeat my frequent moan that I 'barely have enough a**e to keep my trousers up'..

So.. I set about torturing myself with my bending move. It's pretty simple. Just sit down with heel as close to chair as poss, then shuffle forward, keeping heel where it is.. to increase bend..and hold for 30 seconds. It hurts like hell but miraculously, within a couple of days I was getting much more and easier knee bend. I can now get in and out of the car without fuss and have started using the knee to 'lead', going up stairs, and a bit more tentatively coming down.

Result, I went for second Surgery follow up yesterday and the guy was impressed with my progress.
I explained increasing pain in other knee.. he asked was it scheduled for surgery. I told him it's been seen by his team and 'condemned' as 'knackered'.(Medical term)
He went off to consult his Boss 'Professor XXXX',who came in to see me.
Upshot was that subject to approval by the Cardio lot.. I could be getting my other knee replaced within a couple of months.... :)

Can't say I relish the prospect, but since it has to be done if I'm ever to walk properly again, might as well get it out of the way.. Progress!!!

• Like 1

Good grief Col, what a torture!

Anyway - the wall. Concrete footings put in on Wed. Out fishing Thur followed by a session with the 'Coffin Dodgers'. Today I'll lay the first course of concrete blocks and a course of blues - if I can find enough blue bricks. Grandsons cement mixer makes life a lot easier. 18 y/o car in for an mot pm. Busy day so must get started....

• Like 2
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Meanwhile..in the continuing saga of Col's knees, there has been a significant development...

Sounds ridiculous that you had to tell the 'experts' what was the best way to deal with your problem. I don't want to knock the NHS but sometimes I think they just reel off prepared texts from their operator's manual.

• Like 2

I think the lovely Sophie knows her stuff. I think it's more a case of finding what works.

Nothing to do with NHS because in my experience they were always ok in the years we were still in UK. Here in the last few days / months we’ve heard of quite a few cases of people ending in A&E , being sent home because nothing is found then a few days later they in in the operating theatre. Either the drs are in too much of a hurry or the “drs” are still studying. This happened to a friend of ours who was on holiday around Venice. Ended up in pronto soccorso and sent away couldn’t find anything. Pain continued so he decided to go home called his own dr and was sent straight to the operating theatre. Gall bladder removed.

I am convinced that they have a list with each step to take, if one does not work move down to the next on the list and so on. Continue like this until it either works or the patient gives up and goes away and puts up with the problem. As the time for each patient is limited they do not appear to have much time to talk to the patient in any depth , that is of course if you are lucky enough to have a face to face appointment.

• Like 2

Waiting to join in local festivities in centre of the village but the electrician is here changing the motor on the gates. Theyve been playing up lately and today found one of the dogs down the road because they hadnt closed properly. What a fright.

429-C99-CF-044-D-46-A0-9271-F89-C00451-A
43-CD1-CA3-7-A3-F-4561-93-F7-3-B03-A3-EB
Last evening with I TIMBALES wish I had taken a video. They were fantasticly brilliant. They went round the whole of the activities in the village and stopped outside my daughters restaurant while we were eating. 

• Upvote 1

H.A., if that's fish n chips, God help your stomach. Want a Setlers or Rennie? 

Ps, if your in Skegvegas, don't forget me Diabetic Candy Floss.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

H.A., if that's fish n chips, God help your stomach. Want a Setlers or Rennie? 

Ps, if your in Skegvegas, don't forget me Diabetic Candy Floss.

@Beekay they were absolutely delicious, skinless & boneless haddock. I think the weird Day-Glo stripe is sunlight!

P.s. I'll keep my eye out for your candyfloss but make no guarantees about it getting to you with the kids in the car smile2

I can beat that ! When travelling through Switzerland about 4 years ago, we stopped in a service area and to use the conveniences cost the equivalent of a quid. Mind you, your are issued with a pass card that you can use anytime. I made do with the bus toilet.

Hey Arnold, keep those kids away from my candy floss !

And tell RadfordDee, "where's me WhatsApp postcard?