• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

After a good rummage in me shed found all my old CDs...about 80 going back a few years,,,,,,,

Also fixed my old stereo.....so spending a few hours catching up with my old favourites......

You'll be pleased to know i'll be hitting you with some of them....:)

• Like 2

@DJ360, if you're out there somewhere in NS wilderness, I just want to say 'thank you' for putting me onto Mark Steele in Nottingham. Just listened to it all and thought it was hilarious. 

Cheers mi'duck !

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Beekay said:

Yip,bloody,eeeee ! Today is my/our 57th wedding anniversary...

Where's me medal for stamina?

GOOD MORNING FOLKS & FOLKESSES. !!

Morning B gosh how long was it that the train robbers served. Never mind 1965 Very Good Vintage year we are only one
month behind you, you never know, one day we will celebrate to-gether.Congratulatoins to you both.

• Like 1

Congratulations BK and T. We got married 6 and a half months after you did - on the same day as Chulla, also someone else on here …. Can’t remember who.  Hope you’re having a lovely day x

• Like 1

@Beekay..re: Mark Steel, don't mention it 

Re: your Anniversary. Congratulations to you both!!!

@Lizzie

Belated Happy Birthday.!!

• Like 1

A bit late Barrie but congratulations. It is a long time but looking on the bright side you made it and you can tell the story. Thats important.

• Like 1

We’ve had a fantastic day at a ‘Help the Heroes’ Charity fundraising event in Edingly in the grounds of a most wonderful property owned by friends of ours.   There were around 300 guests, a sit-down afternoon tea, champagne, wine and beer, great live entertainment and mermaids in the swimming pool!  Before all of that we were expecting the Lancaster Bomber to fly overhead but it never showed up, however the Army Parachute Display team dropped into the garden.   Several Army veterans, with missing limbs,  spoke about the support they’ve been given by the Charity.  One of those was J J Chalmers, what a lovely guy he is to, I even had a ‘selfie’ with him, something I’d never brought myself to do before, haha! 
I’m just flying ….. it’s been a brilliant day but very humbling being in the company of those soldiers who’ve been through so much.  

• Like 2

Hi LizzieM

Your mention of Edingley immediately took me back to huffing and puffing up both Endingley and Halam hills on my Trent Tourist bike with my rods tied to the crossbar to go fishing at Fiskerton.

Would i be correct in thinking that the place you went to was off Station road with Edingley Beck running behind it? I is just before what used to be Highfields, now a care home for the elderly.

@LizzieM sounds like a fabulous event and i applaud you & your friends, but also think its shameful that even nowadays our injured servicemen & women have to rely on charity to help them in their hour of need. When they have given so much for their country it gives them so little in return.

• Like 1

Some things never change

Rudyard Kipling 1890 

Tommy Atkins

I went into a public 'ouse to get a pint o' beer,

The publican 'e up an' sez, " We serve no red-coats here."

The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die, I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, go away " ; But it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play

The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play, O it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be, They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;

They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls, But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, wait outside "; But it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide

The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide, O it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.

An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? " But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll

The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll, O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too, But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;

An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints, Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, fall be'ind," But it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind

There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind, O it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all: We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.

Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! " But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot; An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;

An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have spent the entire morning damson picking. I don't even like damsons and it's rare, today, to find anyone who does. Fortunately, a couple of friends like to make jams, jellies and gin (!) with them. The tree this year is absolutely laden with them.

I remember, as kids,  walking back to Arnold after going to Carrington Lido and  clubbing together to buy some damsons, thinking they were like plums or big grapes :shout:

Disappointed isn't the word to adequately describe how I felt, biting into one expecting sweet juiciness, to find such tart sourness that 'made my tabs laugh' 

Never bought any since......

You're a rare animal, Beekay. I know very few people who like damsons. The problem is that there is a very small time period between optimum condition and over-ripeness. I hate waste but I just can't eat them. And I don't like gin!