• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Cuban Heels due between 9 and 11......so i'll be strutting into Bulwell an inch taller....wonder if folk

ul recognise me?

Where were you, then?  I was in Bulwell market place at 10.15 this morning and I didn't see anyone in cuban heels!  Was going to have a quick tango with you before going to meet some friends for coffee and drop off half a ton of damsons.

Poor Bulwell! It's the first time for decades that I've had an opportunity to look at it closely. Most of it has been rebuilt since I knew it. Very few original buildings left. Made me feel quite sad.

• Like 1

Oh Jill missed you again sorry.....but Cuban Heels never came....but to make up for it we'll 'Tango'' down the Bogs...when they do eventually arrive....

.............The wife turned up eventually said Mr Essex was great wearing his Waistcoat and some big boots...best song he performed was ''Hold me close''...

• Like 1

@ Arnold...... Gas and diesel prices are high here too, remember the average American doesn't earn as much as the average Brit.

You usually don't drive as far as the average American too, public transport is poor to none existent.  My wife's office is over 30 miles away from home. When we lived in California it was over 50 miles to where she worked. So you need a comfortable vehicle to get to work and shopping etc.

I've driven many miles over here in a day, some as much as 650! Fatigue sets in very quickly in uncomfortable vehicles, but the last long drive was from California to here in Missouri, when we moved ourselves, and take it from me, my full sized pickup, a Chevy Silverado was a Godsend! I suffer from two back injuries, and neither played me up on those trips. Hit the interstate, get her up to the speed limit and set the cruise control. It was a 5.7l V8 and the best mileage I got out of it  was around 25mpg, not bad for a large engine.

It's going to take a lot to make me go smaller again, besides, I need the cargo bed to transport stuff home like firewood, building materials etc.

Pickups still have a solid chassis too, which give protection in front and rear end collisions, I also have a heavy duty front bumper/grill guard to reduce deer collision damage, my headlights cost $250 to replace, then that expensive radiator for the engine and transmission. Would probably make a mess of a sewing machine on wheels though...LOL

• Like 1

@Ayupmeducks I don't disagree with regards to the advantages pick ups have and the size of the models on the North American Market obviously reflect the size of the roads. Think about UK roads and you'll agree sewing machines have some advantages though!!

As an aside,  if you don't mind me being nosy, whereabouts in California did you live? I have a cousin in LA and my aunt lived in San Diego when she was alive

Sacramento, then we moved to the foothills of the Sierras as they started building a school opposite our house.

Mt Aukum, was where we moved to at around 2400ft elevation with great views of thw valley below.

Mentioning fruit and likewise, when i took the dogs a walk this morning I noticed that the orchard just a little way from us had shed its fruit and its rotting on the ground. I dont know who it belongs to but i never see anyone there. There's a vineyard behind it and the vines are cared for but I suppose its like everything else " it brings more money in" I feel so sad that fruit is left like that especially when I could make something of them. I have slowly stopped preserving things as its very time consuming and damned hard work in the quantity that I used to do. Yesterday I used two large storage boxes to fill up with jars of all sizes that we've used or eaten the contents. This year I could have preserved a lot more fruit and veg but thats enough now we're still using what i did last year. 

It is sad to see, nonna, but nature wastes nothing (unlike ourselves). The birds eat it. I always let some apples fall and lie on the ground. Hedgehogs like apples and will nibble them. Judging by the size of Tiny Pudding when I was watching last night, nature's larder is very full. Just like Tiny Pudding!

The police caught the second stabbing suspect at 3.30pm local time just north of Saskatoon Saskatchewan while in police custody he went into cardiac arrest and died at about 8.00pm local time,i think everyone will sleep a little easier tonight.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:50 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

Sacramento, then we moved to the foothills of the Sierras as they started building a school opposite our house.

Mt Aukum, was where we moved to at around 2400ft elevation with great views of thw valley below.

The opposite end of the state then. I can Imagine it had great views looking at the terrain 

Some peculiar views too. Whenever we had an inversion, cold air over the hot valley floor at night, it created a "mirror", so you saw car and road lights and their image above in reverse.

@RadFordee, one of my owd headteachers use to say that were negative. What you should say is "Thank you for not walking on the grass".  My reply was, " That's a load of Horlix ". That doesn't stop folks walking on grass when they shouldn't. It's the same with smoking. Thank you for not smoking doesn't mean no smoking.

He went on a psychology course. Came back a bigger idiot than he was before.

Back from the remote Highlands today. Had a terrible journey - 5 hours in a tailback on the M6! Home at 02.30 today instead of 21.30 yesterday. Having no TV or phone connection we didn't learn about the Queen until visiting the pub, where they had connection. So, we raised our glasses to our beloved Queen in Her beloved Scotland.  

Had a great afternoon at Ely Cathedral which is not far from us.  There was a very good brass band playing outside the huge west door of the Cathedral, along with a large group of some young air cadets who had obviously been practising very hard with their marching and drill.  At 4pm the Proclamation was loudly read out and we all sang the National Anthem (had to concentrate with the new words!)

The Palace Green outside the Cathedral was very crowded for the occasion but we were near the front. After this, many of us went into the Cathedral for choral Evensong - not really my cup of tea (We are members of a modern Baptist Church) - but, as a friend of mine often says: “don’t eat the whole pig and then choke on the tail”.  
I feel I’ve now said a proper goodbye to the late Queen and have internally accepted the new King.  Over the past couple of days I’d started to warm to him anyway and  I really wish him well.

• Like 4

It's going to take a while to adjust. Every time I hear mention of King Charles, I see Charles I in my mind's eye. Must watch again the brilliant portrayal of same by Alec Guinness in the film, Cromwell. Wonderful acting, right down to the Scottish accent and slight stammer.

17 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

Test cricket next 

Bit miffed that the Australia - New Zealand 50 over match has not been on FTA TV. Surely it should be mandated that all games of the national teams should be broadcast for everyone to watch.