• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Yes Rob, for routine jobs like getting dastardly things like your prostate out, but a friend of mine is a Consultant Anaethetist and on occasions has to sit with patients overnight administering necessary medications to ensure they remain stable following big ops.  

I'd like to add my best wishes to Rob for a speedy recovery.

My friend had his prostate treated with chemo and took a while to regain bladder control  but he's OK now.

For what it's worth the anaesthetist who looked after me while I was having my knee op was excellent. He was very reassuring as he did the spinal block, and gave me a running commentary as he gave me a mix of drugs to sedate me. He kept me pretty much asleep throughout, without resorting to full anaesthesia.  He had to keep me in a sort of  twilight state while making sure my dodgy ticker kept beating . I remember him at one point telling me not to talk to the surgeons while they were working. I have no recall of talking or what I said. Next I knew I was aware of them tapping the new joint components into place, but wasn't bothered by it, as I was full of midazolam and diamorphine, plus the valium I'd taken to get me through the hospital doors in the first place...

Then it was all over. :)

Good day today. 

For the first time since the op, I set out without even one crutch. Drove to a few different shops for assorted bits, then had a few minutes in the tanning parlour and finally a very relaxing swim.

Only me and one other bloke in the pool..

I can feel an early night coming on though... :)

Well done you, great achievement! As you say though time to rest now. Did you really go to the tanning parlour?

Mrs B

Yes I did Mrs B!

It cheers me up, especially if the weather is rotten, as it was today, or if the winter darkness is getting to me.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

or if the winter darkness is getting to me.

It was the Equinox yesterday the one day where sunrise and sunset are 12 hours apart. That means good old Mister Sun has crossed the equator and coming back to see us in OZ. He will be very welcome as this has been one of the coldest, wettest, windiest and gloomiest winters I can recall for many years. My late brother always reckoned he got SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) at this time of year and always wanted some "sun on his bones"

7 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

My late brother always reckoned he got SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) at this time of year and always wanted some "sun on his bones"

I am also affected by that, to an extent, although it's only happened since my thyroid went wonky. I have a special lamp which does help.

I've no idea whether I'm fully affected by 'SAD' in the medical sense, or whether I've just developed an increasing dislike of the short dark days.

Eitherway, I spend as much time as possible in the sun from spring to autumn and then take Vit D supplements from Oct to March, as well as having a sunbed treat maybe once a week. I think I read somewhere that the rays from Sunbeds don't stimulate Vit D production, but whatever.... they cheer me up.

Day one without Mrs PP - she's in Portugal with daughter and family. They are very understanding about me not wanting to go. Travelled all over for most of my working life and became totally jaded with airports and hotels. The thought of lying around on a beach or by a swimming pool makes me shudder. Hate crowds, queues - and old people :rolleyes: Don't like sending the cats and dog to jail either. Spent the day bonding with dog and cats (they are  missing her). 

• Like 4

A right Misty morning......reminds me of the 60s and working for Marsdens as a teenager........and thinking what exotic place am i catching 2 buses to today ...Broxtowe....Meadows...Basford...could even be Netherfield or Carlton....maybe even a Train to Long Eaton or Grantham.........aah wonderful days...who will i meet today?........

• Like 2

Today or rather during the night we had a terrific storm so this morning it’s still raining and it’s cold. ( oh come back summer we miss you and we’ll forgive you for the extreme heat). Outside I found a little teeny weeny shrew all 4 feet in the air , obviously dead. I’ve only seen one before and that was in the hall sneaking through the tiniest crack in the between the floor tiles and skirting tiles.I waited for hours for it to sneak out again but as soon as I made a move it shot back to safety. In the end I filled in the crack and we’ve not seen one since apart from the one this morning. Here they’re called Toporagno which translated means Spider rat. Seems a funny name because it’s nothing like a spider. Anyway it’s so tiny that I feel sorry for it. Now I have to go and search all my cupboards in case it’s from a big family.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

A right Misty morning......reminds me of the 60s and working for Marsdens as a teenager........and thinking what exotic place am i catching 2 buses to today ...Broxtowe....Meadows...Basford...could even be Netherfield or Carlton....maybe even a Train to Long Eaton or Grantham.........aah wonderful days...who will i meet today?........

Ben you’d have been in your elements this morning…well not quite. My husband has to go back to Turin to see anesthesiologist. Keeping in mind that it’s pouring down, he was taking the car to Asti to get the train to Turin( he won’t drive it’s too chaotic). Then he thought leaving the car near the station and having to walk in the rain when he can hardly walk it was better to catch the bus from here into Asti. So I drove him down into the village just as the bus was leaving. Quick check on line to find timetable to Turin. Non of the times were suitable in the village for the next bus to get him in time for his connection with the trains so I had to take him to Asti. Heavy traffic and heavy rain but we managed it , and hope the next time he goes it’s for his op.Oh the joy of when nothing goes to plan.

FINALLY got acceptance that my knee replacement has led to an IT Band issue. I've only been telling them since day one, 13 weeks ago.
So, the lovely Sophie ( Physio) explained that the band gets tight as a result of various muscles tightening. She's given me a set of exercises which should resolve it within 4-6 weeks.
Which is nice......

• Like 1

My wife searched through her many old handbags to see if she had any of the old paper £20 notes left . (She is superstitious and believes you should always have some cash in your bag ).

She found £100 in old notes after searching through numerous bags and as it's the last day you can use them in shop transactions , thought I would go to the bank to change old for new . I needed to go to the bank anyway .

I said to the lady cashier "Expect you've been busy today with people exchanging old money"

She said "yes this is nothing (our £100) , people have been bringing thousands in , the most we had was one chap who bought in £8000 in old 20's " !

(Before anyone says it , I know you will still be able to change old notes at the bank after today.)

I've still hardly gone back to using cash, having stopped like most people at the beginning of Covid.

Pre-Covid I always used cash for small amounts, keeping cards for larger sums, but now I automatically use card for almost anything, even very small amounts.

The lack of cash in hand must have affected those who defrauded the Revenue by not declaring all their income. Also the banks want to know details of large cash withdrawals under money laundering regulations. If anyone asks for cash these days you can be sure they're pocketing it and not putting it through the books.

A photo from my kitchen window early this morning. A heron landed on my neighbours garage roof to view the breakfast menu available from my pond. After perusing for 15 minutes it decided to dine elsewhere.

heron.jpg

• Upvote 1