How's your day?

Thats the one cliffton  if yu go on St Ann'sre-demolition there are a full list of pubs and photos.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Following Phil's comment, I was only last night saying to my wife we still have all this game show rubbish that I wonder who is promoting this broadcasting drivel and what for?

I add to this the slobbering drivel of the dancing farce that features the embarrasing spectacle of poseurs and poseuses with crocodile tears and embrasing that I find quite sickening.

Great find Cliff Ton, Just  thinking, were Whitbread pubs common in Nottingham back in the day? The original Whitbread brewery was in London and apparently nowadays the have divested themselves of beer interests.

Watch the locals they’re all intermarried. Years ago a friend went for a job interview on the IOW. The first question they asked him was ‘what do you know about the Island?’ He said ‘all the people here are supposed to be mad’. He didn’t get the job!

• Like 1

Must be a great book to look back on Phil. To read and recall so many memories. You have my admiration.   B.

A friend of mine has a flying log book that belonged to none other than Hermann Goering!  It was 'acquired' at the end of the 1939/45 war by his grandmother's cousin (female) who was part of the SOE, we believe, although she would never discuss it. She said the Americans pinched most of the good stuff but she 'liberated' the log book as a souvenir!

To be honest it used to be a bit like that in the villages around here 60 years ago. There was a commonality of family names and many people were cousins. Even I married a girl from the next village but both our families were what was known as ‘incomers’ or ‘townies’. Even we use those expressions now but there are older inhabitants than us so we are not fully integrated.

They used to say that about Gotham. My grand father used to tell a story about Baddleys pig (Baddley was a farmer) Some clown had given this pig liquid paraffin and the poor thing was tearing around squealing and shi…ng all over the village one night apparently.   

Last time I went there I had a very bad case of food poisoning. Doctor was called out about 2 or 3 in the morning and he gave me a couple of injections. Spent rest of Saturday and all day Sunday in bed, with just sips of water. Wife had to have all her meals in the chalet. Never heard a word from Warner. Been going to Warner for 32 years now, but you couldn't pay me to go back Yarmouth.

20 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I just checked my flying logbook. The last time I went to the IOW was in August 1980. Tollerton to Sandown took just 1 hour 40 minutes!

Took mine hours to get here yesterday.

Don't ask.

We flew there, walked into the town, went on the pier, had a cup of tea and were back home in time for dinner. It’s interesting because you pass directly over the dockyard and can see Nelson’s flagship, the Victory. I flew into Yarmouth once and had a look at the Broads from the air. Very interesting flying up the Norfolk coast and over the Wash. Skegness I’ve been into more times than I can count.

• Upvote 1

No cash accepted now only card payments for everything.

The cashless society is here. Been to Tesco and stocked up for tonight's liquid refreshment. 

Tesco accept cash......for now.

We were at Camden Lock about a month ago. Public toilets were 50p to get through the turnstile, debit card only! Bad enough having to pay that much, (I didn't!) But card only! Crikey.

31 minutes ago, catfan said:

No cash accepted now only card payments for everything.

The cashless society is here. Been to Tesco and stocked up for tonight's liquid refreshment. 

Tesco accept cash......for now.

We've used our card there for years, at Thoresby hall, Littlecote house and Cricket St. Thomas. We always open an account as soon as we check in. We are Platinum club members so we get 20% off all purchases. They shove a statement under our room door during the last night. Then we settle up when we leave.

Now then, talking about card payments …. A few weeks ago my husband’s HSBC debit card was ‘stolen’ in Jamaica and used fraudulently. I was informed by text here in the UK almost immediately.  I checked on line banking to make sure this was ‘real’ and then rang my husband to see if he had his card in his possession and it appeared that he’d lost it.  I spent a long time on the phone to the bank but they had to speak to him.  He was on the phone from Jamaica for an hour or so and eventually was told he’d get a new card within 3 to 5 working days. He got home, no card had arrived.  On to the bank again and told he had to go to the branch with ID to arrange a new card.  We finally, after 2 months, went into town to the bank. All very efficient and we thought sorted.  10 minutes later I was in Waterstones paying for coffee and cakes and MY card on the same account was declined 3 times!  Back to HSBC and it was established that they’d cancelled my card while ordering a new one for my husband!.  So now neither of us has a debit card for our main bank account until next week.  

How is my day well it started off terrible, cup of coffee and sat to watch the news on the TV. TV not working so I tried all ways to see what was wrong with it with no luck. I dont trust repair engineers who come to the house, so I started looking for a new one on the internet, visit to website of the large store in Viccy centre where I purchased this one from. I looked into my purchasing history and found this broken one was 4 years 9 months old and at the bottom of the invoice it stated 5-year guarantee. What a result they will be here tomorrow. That solved into bathroom and toothbrush has no power and it will not charge, well a new one is cheaper than a TV.

So out in my truck to collect bags of sharp sand, backs up to the stack opens tailgate, a lady comes up to me and I tell her how many I required I attempted to lift one to put it into my truck. I could not even pull it near to me, very nice lady said to me let me give you the ticket then go and pay in the office. Off I go to the office and paid, came back and she had loaded 8 bags by hand. I thanked her and totally humiliated drive home and parks up and leaves it for my son to unload.

I am either going to sulk in a dark room or going to bed to hide, has my life really come to this. Tomorrow will be better, I hope.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1