• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Some years back, i had a 'check engine'Ā  light come up on the dash. Called the dealership (where we had all the services done) and made a later appointment.Ā  Went to my bowling league, and was telling a friend about my engine light. She said, take your car to Auto ZoneĀ  (parts store) and ask them to check your car. I did, the guy took out a hand-held device, plugged it in under the dash, and said, your petrol cap is not fitting properly. Bought a new one for less than $5, and cancelled the dealer appt. Heaven knows how much the dealer would have charged, and most likely would tell me some expensive thing needed doing!

• Like 2
On 10/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, philmayfield said:

I too went to the barberā€™s today. In Blidworth. Donā€™t ask why Blidworth?Ā Its a long story! There was a chap in the chair chattingĀ with the barber and I honestly couldnā€™t understand a single word he was saying. He was obviously a local but it was just like being in a foreign country!

I know how you feel Phil. Here most of the locals speak in dialect which i dont speak, i can just about get the gist but thats all. Those who know me speak either in Italian or English. My next doors neighbours mother always spoke to me in dialect and she never rembered when i told her i didnt speak Piemontese.

The weather has been incredibly mild in Nottingham this past week, a bit wet at times too (but we needed it!)

Last evening we were at a friendā€™s birthday party and amazingly, for the end of October, we were sitting outside in theirĀ garden, til 2 am. Ā Admittedly they had a fire-pit going but nobody needed a jacket on. Ā 
Brilliant night, lots of champagne, wine and Lebanese food,Ā but I was pleased the clocks went back as weā€™reĀ not used to such late nights these days! Ā 

• Like 1

I mentioned a few weeks ago how Mansfield had gone downhill...........well yesterday i gave it another try to see if it was just a bad day............and NO it wasnt.......

Parked in a different parking place which i thought would be nice and near a long row of fairly new premises.........Parking machine took my money without giving me 1'20 in change.....ah well i thought not even the price of a coffee........the row of shops leading into the shopping centre were all closed permanently............bit more lively in the centre except that what was the old Coop was also still closed and boarded up which depressed me since i had some good times working there a few times in the 90s with some great lady store detectives.....

Decided i'd had enough so went for a coffee before heading home..........worst thing i could have done.....one person being served by a really miserable lady who didnt know how to smile........and was so slow at serving the only customer with two different types of coffee....after about 10 minutes a lady joined the Queue behind me..........after another 5 minutes she said to me ''blimey you bin waiting long''?.........told her'' been here since friday afternoon''.....At least she laughed and it was the only half nice thing about My visit to what was once a lovely friendly place....

Eventually got me coffee drank it quick and headed home.........Mansfield? never again''Ā  Ā Ā 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Benjamin thought about you this morning, you always say ā€œ plenty of heyupsā€ when you go for your coffee. Well this morning when we went for coffee and took 3 dogs , there were more people about than usual and everyone who went into or came out of the bar was someone we knew, very unusual at that time of morning but it was nice. There are lots of strangers who once lived around here that have come ā€œ homeā€ for ā€œ Tutti Santiā€ ( All Saints) to pay respects to lost loved ones. Itā€™s also a bank holiday including tomorrow. It has had a knock on effect the bar had run out of brioche and had to serve pastries instead. The local supermarket had run out of bread and was so packed that people couldnā€™t get what they wanted. So I suppose most have relatives staying for all saints services tomorrow. I hate shopping every day but why do they leave shopping until the last and canā€™t find what they want.

• Like 1

Lizzie itā€™s the same here. Alex has been sitting outside most days. The dogs love it and they sit watching for cats and ignore them theyā€™re too comfy. James was saying this morning that they had a group who hadnā€™t booked last night but wanted to eat and although the restaurant was full to capacity the only place they could sit was outside . They didnā€™t mind so sat outside and had 18 dishes with truffles. Truffles , truffles and more truffles are quickly getting scarce. The problem is you spend a couple of thousand to buy them to serve and sometimes youā€™re left with them because either people donā€™t want or donā€™t know what they are or even donā€™t want to pay the price. Then you buy a couple of hundreds worth and run out. So really you never win. James has rung all his suppliers and there isnā€™t one truffle to be seen. The other night we ate at Jamesā€™s and were talking to a German couple . They are touring Italy and made a detour to pass Alba ( famous for white truffles) they did have truffle shavings on their food and when James had shaved a few they told him they would tell him when to stop!

This weather is unbelievable but nice, makes you worry about how the winter will be.

• Like 1

Itā€™s 50 years tonight since my first proper date with the young man I would eventually marry. Ā Weā€™d met fleetingly a few months earlier in the Flying Horse but he was just passing through Nottingham on business and I was in a relationship with someone,Ā but he made sure he got my phone number!Ā Ā Ā Ā Out of the blue he rang me and we had that first date at The Chateau, Wilford Lane and those 50 years have flown by so fast,Ā so much has changed in this World we live in but Iā€™m pleased I went for that Berni meal that night and as far as I can remember, Halloween was just an American excuse to dress upĀ in those days. Ā 

• Like 6
On 10/31/2022 at 10:14 AM, benjamin1945 said:

I mentioned a few weeks ago how Mansfield had gone downhill...........well yesterday i gave it another try to see if it was just a bad day............and NO it wasnt.......

Parked in a different parking place which i thought would be nice and near a long row of fairly new premises.........Parking machine took my money without giving me 1'20 in change.....ah well i thought not even the price of a coffee........the row of shops leading into the shopping centre were all closed permanently............bit more lively in the centre except that what was the old Coop was also still closed and boarded up which depressed me since i had some good times working there a few times in the 90s with some great lady store detectives.....

Decided i'd had enough so went for a coffee before heading home..........worst thing i could have done.....one person being served by a really miserable lady who didnt know how to smile........and was so slow at serving the only customer with two different types of coffee....after about 10 minutes a lady joined the Queue behind me..........after another 5 minutes she said to me ''blimey you bin waiting long''?.........told her'' been here since friday afternoon''.....At least she laughed and it was the only half nice thing about My visit to what was once a lovely friendly place....

Eventually got me coffee drank it quick and headed home.........Mansfield? never again''Ā  Ā Ā 

Hey Ben, you certainly know how to turn a place around!

• Like 1
On 10/27/2022 at 10:13 PM, Oztalgian said:

Phil, Don't you know that Bliduth is in't north, that is why you could not understand them. Luckily there are very few colliersĀ left, if they spoke in pit-talk I could not understand them and I was born in the village.

Im fro Annzlee and I think I need subtitles when I speak lol

Ā 

28 years since my Mothers passing couple of days ago........so a trip to Bulwell Cemetery was in order this morning...........took flowers for Mam and Dad plus Grandma and a Son..Granddaughter..and Nephew..........couldnt afford to take flowers to the rest of my family buried up there...reckon about 30...

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Don't make me sad but brings reality into my life and also feel they know ive been.........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@benjamin1945i used to quite like Mansfield back in the 80's as an alternative to shopping in Nottingham or Bulwell, it had a good variety of shops and a great market back then as well (loved a good market back in the day).

I think Mansfield isĀ like a lot of former mining towns. The closure of the pits spelled the begining of the end for them and saw them rapidly go into decline. Very sad for the folk who stillĀ live there.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Annesley Red said:

Im fro Annzlee and I think I need subtitles when I speak lol

Ā 

My Dad and Granddad spoke a bit of Annzlee @annesleyred.....both from Bulwell but worked on the Railway...catching the train ''Dickie Dido'' to Annesley for about 30 years.........

• Like 1

@Cliff TonĀ youā€™re not old! Ā YouĀ obviously still do more walking than drivingā€¦. and thatā€™s good.
Perhaps the next meet upĀ should be in Ely - that would boost your mileage!Ā :Shock:Ā 

• Like 1

Only been in the Lamb once, Ben - it is a very old pub! Ā So whoĀ did you entertain thereĀ back in the day?

Just the once Margie...........about 1973...........

Had business with a VG shop in Sutton nearby...Mr Painter........

Just the once Margie...........about 1973...........

Had business with a VG shop in Sutton nearby...Mr Painter........

Ā 

Also did a bit not far from you in Prickwillow......lol

Ben, We are nearer to Sutton than Prickwillow! Ā  Paul often plays table tennis matchesĀ there Ā though.

Well yesterday was the first time EVER that I have started my Christmas shopping early, I have ask the boys, and there wifes plus grandson and partner, if they would like a meat hamper. They have all put there thumbs up.Ā  So off to the local brillent butcher we have in Jacksdale. Order in!!! right next, down to B/M or Wilkos to buy some baskets. I managed to get 4 basket in silver well they are a bit like silver box'es next some Red and silver ribbon, and bows/flower shaped to stick on hamper when finished. While at B/M brought 3 boxes choc biscutes, and 3 boxes choc mints. Now all we need add is what booze they like, then thats it, pick up my meat which has all been seeled seporated in bags (if not put in freezer ) will last 2 weeks.Ā Ā