How's your day?

Lizzie when I was in Nottingham a few years back you said try Primark for tshirts, I did and took 19 back with me. I still have a couple of them. Wish we had one here. We’ve got a small Chinese outlet that have better than the normal Chinese where at the beginning of summer I bought 7 pairs of trousers all the same style but in different colours. I have plenty of winter trousers that I’ve not worn yet thanks to covid. So it looks like I’ve got to spend a bit of time making sure they fit and aren’t too long. Unless it’s for a special occasion I can’t see the sense in spending too much. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

We go up to the Lake District twice a year and always stop at the M&S outlet at Talke off the A500 so my T shirts are always from there or Primark in town here. You can also use offers on your Sparks card at the outlet although unless you’re passing or on a day out round there it’s a bloomin long way to go.

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

I’ve almost given up on ‘Marksus’’ having recently purchased a nice sweater in there and then saw an old lady being  interviewed on local news in Mansfield market place, wearing the same item.  It was bad enough seeing an OLD lady wearing it but in MANSFIELD!  
Last year whilst in Miami I went very OTT extravagant and bought a Stella McCartney shirt for myself.  I absolutely love it but almost immediately had regrets at spending such a large amount on one little item that I won’t wear very often because it’s too special.  
Primark is very good for basics, such as t-shirts, which will set you back about the same amount as a Costa coffee, but I’ve picked up some good deals at McArthur Glen at J28.  

Very funny LizzieM

@DJ360  So the Advent calendar/Beauty Box was ‘worth’  £300 and you only had to pay £40?

I hope this is your dry humour coming out …

The only ‘products’ I use are E45 or Nivea (and Tesco shampoo, conditioner and cheap shower gel). I suppose I must be fortunate in having skin and hair that doesn’t need much ‘pampering’

But as the saying goes…. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.  (And we are all different in this respect). 

• Like 1

'Dry sense of humour?' Moi?

Really Margie..I'm shocked. ...:Shock:

Also Mrs Col, who keeps a firm grip on money, thinks the Advent Box is easily worth the 40 quid I paid and probably a lot more.

Link here:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/beauty-box

I followed the link and looked  at the Beauty Box.  If the items are full size then they would be worth more than £40 (in my opinion) but probably they are mini sizes/samples?   They are marketed in this way so that people will then go out and buy the full size product.  I wouldn’t use most of them anyway - they’d stay lined up in the bathroom for years :rolleyes: 

But I appreciate I’m probably in the minority ……

Well, I'm with you, Margie.  I have a friend who makes her own beauty products, not for sale but for her own use. On occasions, she has sent me some to try. They're made with pure ingredients. No nasty parabens, etc. They were good and I especially like the peppermint foot cream. The face cream was also nice but I don't tend to use that sort of thing.

My mum had very good skin and, at almost 65, I have very few wrinkles as yet. I thnk the worst culprit for ruining skin and causing wrinkles is smoking but I've never indulged in that filthy habit. Thyroid problems do tend to cause dry skin but a bottle of almond oil, used sparingly, solves the problem.

Those boxes are already appearing on eBay priced at £60-100.

Whether individuals on here would use them is hardly relevant. I've already pointed out that my wife and one daughter say they wouldn't use it, but the other daughter is pretty keen.

Each to their own I think.

Been pretty cold out here today and very windy, got a bit of work done in my shed though, I am in the process of building a model road with buildings on and a few bus stops for my buses, weather not good to get much done outside  so back on the model building, might be a good idea to put a few pot holes in the road where the bus stops are for a bit more realism, I also stripped down the carb on for my Lister D stationary engine and soldered a new copper patch on the bottom of my Lister ST diesel engine, don't usually run the engines in winter so getting them ready for spring

Rog

Another 'multiday' catchup....

Yesterday..(Thurs), I only did part of my daily exercise routine.. but I did go for a swim.  I felt remarkably strong swimming,but totally knackered when I got home...

Today I got through all of my exercises, but never left the house, though I did cut my hair..

Tomorrow, I must go for a walk.

Would love to see your haircut DJ360. 

Just asking do you wear a hat when you go out doors?

EXERCISE   I have found 2 good vidio's on utube  

For exercise just follow the vidios.

!/ Hillbills Girl      Lisa Mchugh

2/   Walk of Life    Dire Straits 

if you can make your legs go the same way as the person on the vidio they at the meet -up will buy u a drink (  but you must show members first)

PS Hllbills girl really gets into your head the music does not go away.

Not much to see Mary. I have a Wahl beard trimmer. I use it with a 3mm comb attachment to keep my beard short and tidy. As I've explained previously, I only started growing a beard because I couldn't get rid of a shaving rash.

When I was still getting my hair cut by a professional..I used to have '2s and 4s', I.e. No.2 on sides and No 4 on top, and of course the hairdresser would blend the two. I was getting close to asking them to just do No.2 cut all over, but Covid kicked in and I decided to have a bash myself.  I just used a 10 mm (No.3?) comb all over and it didn't look too bad. I get Mrs Col to help tidy up the neckline.

Yesterday, I was halfway through doing it when I realised I was using a  6mm (No 2) comb. Doesn't look bad and makes my growing bald patch less obvious.

The hardest bit is getting around my ears and blending my hair with my beard. It sometimes takes a couple of days for me to spot stray bits etc. ...but even Mrs Col says I do a decent job.

A lot of men my age just take the lazy route and shave their heads every few days. I'm not quite at that stage yet.

• Like 1

Later today I'm going to a classical Concert at a theatre in Liverpool which is part of Liverpool Hope University.

It's a fund raiser for a Brain Tumour Charity and is organised by one of the lads at Doug Brady Hi Fi, where I buy most of my audio kit. Sadly he lost his wife to brain cancer last year.

Every year since I was a Councillor and Chair of the Parish Council, I've received an invite to the annual Remembrance Service in the local C of E Church. It's held there because that's where the War Memorial is. The Catholic Priest attends and it is a non- denominational Christian Service. I've never gone before so decided it's time I took advantage of my status as a 'local worthy' :rolleyes: and joined the rest of them for once. It's a good cause to be involved with and will give my imitation Crombie overcoat etc.. a rare outing.

When I was Chair it was my duty to lay a wreath on behalf of the Parish Council. I also laid our Parish Council wreath at the Remembrance Service around the Memorial in St Helens Town Centre a couple of times.

I'm not a churchgoer but I can make an exception in the case of Remembrance.

Ladies Its really worth taking care of your skin. My mum was 98 when she died and had a beautiful skin. When she was younger she was advised to never go to bed with makeup on her face and she never did, she cleansed her face every evening. Many years ago a friend who worked for a famous cosmetic company advised me to work a simple routine every morning and evening. Do not wash your face with soap and water .

My bedtime routine is to cleanse and rinse with a toner before applying cream. In the morning use just toner on a cotton disc then apply face cream. I have had this routine for about 40 yrs. Over time i have used expensive products because my friend used to give me a discount, but now i only buy simple products. I dont have a regular appointment at the beauty salon. Sometimes my daughter gives me a voucher for birthday or christmas.I must say ( who shouldnt ) but i do have a good skin with very few wrinkles. Before i was 21 my face was awful i always had spots but 21 was lucky for me i never had another one.

Awhile ago our village had a recognition for those celebrating 80 this year. When I got up to receive my " diploma" those around me and what my husband heard was that they didn't believe me or shes had a face lift ( really nasty remarks? I feel lucky but dont want to become an old person.

I also have used home made cosmetics but its another thing i have to make and I have enough on my plate. All the best ladies because you are all beautiful.

• Upvote 1

A very proud day for us, we went to see our 7 year old Granddaughter take part in her first rememberance service with the Brownies this morning. She stood there looking proud as punch. It was very well attended and was lovely to see so many youngsters taking part, the Brownies, Guides, Scouts and the local army cadets and pupils from both of the local primary schools laid wreaths, as these children are the generation who will hopefully ensure that this momentus tradition continues to be upheld long after we are all gone.

'Am also not ashamed to admit that it always brings tears to my eyes when they play the last post and I think of the selfless sacrifice that our parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so many more like them made. 

• Like 8
8 hours ago, RadFordee said:

Am also not ashamed to admit that it always brings tears to my eyes when they play the last post and I think of the selfless sacrifice that our parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so many more like them made. 

My mum always erupted in floods of tears when they played the last post, she was in the WAAF during the war and lost her brother in the rearguard action at Dunkirk. I am proudly named after him.

• Like 3
On 11/12/2022 at 11:53 AM, DJ360 said:

Not much to see Mary. I have a Wahl beard trimmer. I use it with a 3mm comb attachment to keep my beard short and tidy. As I've explained previously, I only started growing a beard because I couldn't get rid of a shaving rash.

When I was still getting my hair cut by a professional..I used to have '2s and 4s', I.e. No.2 on sides and No 4 on top, and of course the hairdresser would blend the two. I was getting close to asking them to just do No.2 cut all over, but Covid kicked in and I decided to have a bash myself.  I just used a 10 mm (No.3?) comb all over and it didn't look too bad. I get Mrs Col to help tidy up the neckline.

Yesterday, I was halfway through doing it when I realised I was using a  6mm (No 2) comb. Doesn't look bad and makes my growing bald patch less obvious.

The hardest bit is getting around my ears and blending my hair with my beard. It sometimes takes a couple of days for me to spot stray bits etc. ...but even Mrs Col says I do a decent job.

A lot of men my age just take the lazy route and shave their heads every few days. I'm not quite at that stage yet.

This is between me and you one day in my salon. a new member of the staff  named Stuart had a client (lady) in for a trim normaly I would have done the trim, but I was booked up. Well clippers at the ready he started in the nape of the clients hair. The lady had a no 1 then no2 from the bottom of her ears. Now being a new stylist in my salon i was keeping my eyes on his work.  A'HHHH just a minute Stuart you are useing th clippers with out any guard. I had to go over and stop him from cutting I blended in the mess that he had made, I did explaine to the client who was very nice about it. Then taking Stuart on one side told him never/ever forget to use a guard. Stuart replied Oh these weomen just love me cutting there hair so I can get away with it. Stuart lasted only a week at the salon.

• Like 3

One year master and myself were traveling around Europe and it was just a coincidence that we reached  Ypres  Belgium   on  Rememberance day we stood at The Menin Gate Memorial with a lot of other people  not all were from the Uk but there was not a dry eye 

anywhere

• Like 3

The Remembrance Service today was excellent. The church was all decked out with poppies and a trumpeter in the small balcony at the rear of the church delivered a note perfect last post whilst poppy petals were sprinkled down. I don't know if it's more difficult with a bugle but the trumpeter made a better job than many buglers I've heard.

For the first time since my own stint on the Parish Council, I accepted the invite to the post service buffet and thoroughly enjoyed chatting with a couple of current councillors the Mayor of St Helens and assorted other 'worthies', whilst steering clear of politics.

Last night's fundraising concert in Liverpool was a delight. Superb music and great company  Really good to see John so happy that his wife's passing at least raised a lot of money and awareness. We've decided to go to more of John's concerts, which are normally at the 'Liverpool Nordic Church'  which is a place I'd never heard of but looks really interesting.

The only downside was that we ended up rammed into a train home with about a million friendly, good humoured and drunk young people. Not a bit threatening, but I struggled with standing for so long and also thinking that if I didn't acquire Covid in that crush I never will...

• Like 3

My husband (Mr B) attended our local remembrance service this morning and was proud to wear his medals from 22 years in the army RCT/RLC. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, MRS B said:

My husband (Mr B) attended our local remembrance service this morning and was proud to wear his medals from 22 years in the army RCT/RLC. 

And rightly so Mrs B that Mr B wears his medals with pride. Dedicating 22 years to serving your Country is phenomenal in my book. He has my utmost respect and admiration, as do you, as being a forces wife is often not the easiest life either.

My nephew is ex army and he’s so patriotic. He goes to all the reunions and parades etc. He’s exceptionally proud.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RadFordee said:

And rightly so Mrs B that Mr B wears his medals with pride. Dedicating 22 years to serving your Country is phenomenal in my book. He has my utmost respect and admiration, as do you, as being a forces wife is often not the easiest life either.

He came out of school with zero quals and everyone said he would come to nowt. He did come to summat and for most of the 22 years loved it. A worry for me when he was in the first Gulf War and Bosnia but ended his stint being a staff car driver which was less harrowing for both of us. He found it very difficult after he came out of the Army but now all stable and every so often comes across someone he knew. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, MRS B said:

He found it very difficult after he came out of the Army but now all stable and every so often comes across someone he knew. 

A lad I knew years ago came out of the Army after joining as a boy soldier, aged 16, serving 12 years and seeing action in The Falkland Islands & Northern Ireland. He applied to join the Police and at his interview board was told, that whilst he was an exceptional candidate, they were deferring his application for 12 months as 'he had no experience of life in civvy street' and would not, in their opinion, be able to relate to the ordinary man in the street. After some while thinking about it he came to agree with them, in effect he'd become institutionalised. The Army had always provided accommodation, food etc and he'd never really had the responsibility of bills, mortgage, job worries etc. Happy to say that after a period of adjustment he was fast tracked and became a Police Officer