How's your day?

Still got plenty of snow down at our gaff. Trouble is, this last couple of days it's been freezing so the lying snow is rock hard. Should be going to Littlecote House on Friday so I hope things clear up a bit. B.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Rog, my missus, Tina has just said, "it's no good sticking em on nottstalgia, you should be boxing them up and putting in the post"!

They look delicious mate, well done to you !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Evening...

Not been on much lately mostly because my P.C. is all but dead and a new one is on order. Not crazy about trying to post on a phone too often.

Had an interesting time last night.

Was all day feeling rough with vague symptoms of possible ticker trouble.  I ignored that stuff years ago and finished up worse than I needed to be, so I don't ignore it anymore.

Down to the local walk in centre, only to be told they weren't seeing any more patients due to lack of staff and were closing early. They triaged me and sent me to Whiston Hospital.

So, even though the A&E at Whiston thinned out to about 10/20% occupancy, I was not seen by a Doc till around 7a.m. Monday....12 hours later. This demonstrated the complete lack of resiliency in the NHS, when a couple of emergencies brought in by ambulance, occupy all Docs on site so that A&E -walking wounded just get left. At one point over four hours passed without anyone getting to see a Doc.

I'm not knocking individual workers here..  The problem obviously lies with staff shortages due to poor pay, burnout and a recruitment crisis directly caused by a mix of Brexit and Govt. failure to invest in UK training of NHS staff.  And of course 'bed blocking', due to the Social Care Crisis.

Not going to disagree with you here Col but it’s worth noting that the NHS are in the top 10 of the worlds largest employers and very very inefficient. You could double the current budget and it still be under funded. I read only yesterday that there are 800 staff in the NHS exclusively working on equality, diversity and inclusion and one health authority spent £219,000 supporting the rollout of the NHS rainbow badge scheme  and an undisclosed amount of money spent giving staff African drumming lessons. Perhaps the NHS should look at their internal spending and waste. 

This is not I hasten to add anything to do with those at the sharp end. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians, or should I say Native Americans.

Lot's of talent and multi-skilling being  shown here.

I slept extremely well until 11:30, which is hardly surprising after no sleep at all Sun/Mon.

This evening we have the Billinge Historical Society Annual Quiz Night and Buffet, which is of course the cultural event of the year and not to be missed..;). But it presents me with the annual problem of what to eat in the day because the buffet doesn't start till about 9:00 p.m.

Settled on a nice lunch comprising pre packed sliced roast beef, flash fried in a little oil and served in one of those part baked baguettes, fresh baked and still warm. Garnish with a few sliced fried mushrooms and a good dollop of Horseradish Sauce.. Yum!

I'll now hold out until this evening's buffet. It's always a very nice spread.

Between now and then I'm having a quiet day writing the few Christmas cards I'll be posting and sorting a few other little chores...including the endless knee exercises. .

I'm living the dream .....:laugh:

Not been out and about for about three weeks due to cold weather which affects my breathing.......

But had an appointment with my 'Podiatrist' this morning...been suffering lately...but after my treatment did a bit of a 'Jig' with her...feet feeling great again..thanks Becky..........

Then had a nice Breakfast in a place called ''The Posh''.......before getting my hair cut (number one) by a ''Kurdish'' Barber...followed by some good banter with two mature ladies in a 'Charity shop''..who ended up with ''Ta ra Duck'' cheeky sod''...lol

Altogether nice to be out and about again...feel good........

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Beekay said:

I've often wondered, how does the man who drives the snowplough get to work?

He just goes into his garage.:rolleyes:

We are in Skeg at the moment - booked it before the freeze!  Although it's -1 it doesn't actually feel as cold as I thought it would be because there's no wind to speak of.  We walked down to the deserted beach which was covered in frost, then wandered to the shops where it was quite busy.   I suppose people are still buying Christmas presents.  We then drove on the coast road to  Ingoldmells past Butlins where the car parks seemed to be  full, then Fantasy Island which looked looked very cold and still.  Further  along on the coast road where we used to jhave a static caravan (Golden. Sands) we saw no-one at all!  We carried  on to Chapel St Leonard's and walked up the pullover  to see the sea, which we did, but were surprised by all the grass clumped on the beach looking like mini sand dunes.  I suppose they might slow down the possible flooding as the sea level rises.

A very nostalgic few hours as we remembered the times we had holidays with our children here  around 50 years ago...  Also I have memories of my own childhood and teenage years on holiday here.  I feel quite tearful when I think of my young self running around there - little did I think that one day I'd be a little old lady walking carefully on those same paths hoping I wasn't going to slip on the ice.

Anyway,, enough of that - tomorrow we go the Nottingham for two more nights, where I hope we'll see some of you.

• Upvote 1

I'M same as you Margie...ref Nostalgic and sad feelings when revisiting places from times gone by.........I Try to avoid now as much as possible....

I think we are similar with our ''Sentimentality''..............

I think you are right, Ben.    I'd told Paul I was writing on here about my morning and he said "Morning or mourning".   It was actually both.... at times like this I realise  I'm actually mourning for my lost youth..

I do have a happy and fulfilled life now, but those memories of my youth are SO vivid ....

• Like 1

We used to go to the east coast, Skegness and Sandilands, on new year’s day. It became a bit of a tradition. We had friends who lived just behind the sea bank at Sandilands. One year there was a high tide flood warning issued so we decided to scarper pretty quickly. I was relieved when we  got to the top of the hill outside Alford. We’ve not been since and our friends are now both dead. Not by drowning though!

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I've never been to any seaside place on a cold winter day

I live about 500 yards from the beach and go down there with the dogs a couple of times a week.  Love living by the sea.

Always a few cafes open on the front and usually have a coffee after walking the dogs. After a childhood of visiting Skeggy or Mablethorpe just once a year I still love the smells and sights of seaside towns.

• Like 2

Master wanted to live by the sea, so after looking around for a couple of months we found a beautiful 2 bed bungalow. It was at Anderby not Anderby Creek but the Village. I was still at workable age so looked around for work, Master had been semi retired for a while so he easily slipped into retirement. Well New Years Eve came and the high light of that, was up to the village Hall where there was a movie camera which went onto a white sheet to show the movie, you allso had to take your own drink and sarnies. This was not the end of it yes walks!! along the beach were nice except in summer when all thoes towinies came on holiday, sorry could not help it. One morning we were worken up by lots and lots of lights in the field opposit,  we thought Alliens had landed. No it was not Alliens but  Birds Eye pea pickers. The best thing though was at dusk when up the road flew a big white Barn Owl and looking so majestic and not making a sound. He would stop and sit outside our window on the telegraph pole. Such a beautiful site.

Returning to the big city?

Now thats another story.

Mary, my godmother used to live at the station house at Mumby and I can remember the Anderby Creek club. I used to spend most of my summers there as a child. Also my parents used to rent a bungalow on Wall Lane in Ingoldmells which backed on to the field where the beach donkeys were kept. My brother lived at Sutton on Sea up to when he passed away and ran the model railway at the fun fair at Mablethorpe so lots of happy memories from that area.

My youngest cat had to have a teeny tooth out this morning so have been keeping a watchful eye on her all day. She’s fine now she’s stopped walking like a crab after the anaesthesia but hasn’t left my side all day bless her. Considering she recovered from having her pelvis broken in 3 places 2 years ago and is now bionic having had it pinned am sure she will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, MargieH said:

(Golden. Sands)

The absolute best place of all the Lincolnshire "resorts" if only it was warm and the sea was blue. If it was I guess you would not be able to move for wall to wall high rise buildings. I have fond memories of French cricket on the beach as the tide came in and I have still got the scar from opening a tin of corned beef for the sarnies and not forgetting the thermos for the tea.

• Like 1

Cold start at minus four, got the car thawed out early and the screen cleared, engine warm ready to take Mrs P down to the doctors for a routine blood test (been booked for a month now), Mrs P all dressed up as women do to go to such places and we got in the car, mobile phone goes off so answered it before we set off, doctors surgery, "don't bother coming to the surgery for this appointment as there's not much change in your last blood test results," they have had the last results for four weeks and they wait till ten minutes before the appointment to let her know the talk about wasting time, so I'm now going in my shed to get a bit of work done on the next model I've set aside,but first I'm going to mix up some home made acrylic paint thinners for a friend, cheap to make your own but expensive to buy over the counter

Rog

I was looking forward to our meetup but had a phone-call this morning fro QMC Spineal unit and they want to see me asap so I am very sorry master and myself just can not get. 

I WOULD LIKE TO WISH ALL MEMBERS A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A PLESASENT NEW YEAR . 

:No1:kickme

PS   Message from Brew he hopes you are all keeping well he will not come back to nottstalgia book he wishers you all a very Merry Christmas :hand:

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, catfan said:

I got right to the surgery door earlier this year then got the call cancelling my blood test .

And then doctors and receptionists wonder why people are fed up with the system

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The problem is that doctors don’t understand the commercial world where the object of the game is to delight your customers. If a customer complains you do everything to satisfy and keep them. If a patient complains they just strike them off.

Or report you for being abusive, then the police get involved, then the courts then possibly a prison sentence and criminal record, there is a poster up in our doctors reception to that effect, in other words "Like it or lump it because we aint bothered"

Rog

• Like 1

2.30 PM...arrived at Doctors

233...Name called

entered nurses surgery

Nurse........which arm?

This one please

Roll ya sleeve up......you ready?

Go girl

Jab...job done

You dont mess about do you

Nurse........i'm on Peace work

Me......thanks Allison...have a nice Christmas

Nurse....and you.....ta ra''''

236.....LEAVE............FLU Jab done.......

• Like 1