How's your day?

Today I went out to the local branch of Ableworld and bought a folding walking stick, for travelling. Was pleasantly surprised that I got it VAT free. I can now walk without a stick most of the time, but since I never walk any distance without one. . just a walker's common sense habit.. .. I'm taking one on my forthcoming hols.

This evening I finally forced myself to go for a swim. It's been over a month and golly gosh..you can always tell.. but I'll soon get back into it. 500 metres in 50 metre stages, with brief stops to let the old ticker catch up.
Always feel better after..

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

On 1/10/2023 at 12:30 PM, philmayfield said:

Our daughter came round on Sunday to learn how to pressure wash her car. She brought her lively pup that couldn’t be left in the house with our cats so wife and daughter took it for a walk and I was left with the washing. It’s a high roofed Jeep so I had to climb up and down steps to clean the roof. Had I known I would have given her a tenner for the Albanian car wash in Newark.

In my experience  the effect of jet washers on cars is a bit odd. The jet will clean off deep muck in seams, around badges etc, and if you aren't  careful it can remove soft 'underseal' type stuff on sills. But you can blast body panels all day long and they'll still feel gritty unless you use a cloth or a brush.  If I can be bothered to clean cars, I only use the jet washer for the first stage, then do the rest by hand.

But more often than not ..six quid to the Eastern European chaps on the A580 produces a quicker result in the time it takes to get the Karcher, a bucket etc..out.

I only pressure wash anything in the summer, when I do pressure wash the pavers I wear swimming shorts and, old T shirt and welly gogs. Why anyone would pressure wash anything in the middle of an English winter is beyond me.

The only way for the car winter or summer is a laser wash, not one with those revolving brushes. 6 quid for a standard wash 8 quid if you want wax and a sealant coat. The spot free rinse is great all you need is a quick drive around the block and the car is all dry. 15 minutes tops.

I have never used the pressure washer on my car or cycles but on the vintage engines to get rid of all that oily grime and usual debris that accumulates in those hard to reach places on old engines that have laid in farmyards or barns for years, much prefer bucket and sponge on the car, also that "waterless wash and wax" stuff leaves a lovely finish and a protective covering, it's amazing how quiet driving is after the waterless stuff because there is a lot less wind resistance on the car 

Rog

Rog

I use a pressure washer on the cars to get rid of the muck we pick up on the country lanes and then wash the cars with Meguiars Gold shampoo which leaves a shiny finish. There’s no way I could properly get under the wings to shift the mud without my pressure washer. If I’m feeling lazy then it’s the Albanian car wash in Newark where it’s thoroughly cleaned by a bunch of dodgy looking blokes!

• Like 1

I mainly use the jet washer in late Autumn. That is when green algae etc starts to accumulate on the drive and sidepath, as they face north. It can get a bit dangerous, so I clean it off. Takes about 2 hours.

One day I'll try one of those sealer products which are supposed to stop the algae.

There's  a bloke across the back who jet washes everything in sight..for a whole day..in high Summer..  Noise drives me nuts. Then he uses some sort of compressor to spray all of his fence panels and drives me nuts for another day....

Call me Victor... 

Not brilliant because I have a cold so no outdoor work today not even in the shed, hopefully get over to Newark tomorrow morning for the market but for now just going to curl up and feel sorry for myself, (it's times like this I wish I was a s strong and a woman slywink)

Rog

55 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Ah, diddums. Would like me to send you a hot water bottle Rog?

I'd wrap it in a blanket so it stayed warm.

any help would be good help mate

Rog

42 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Quadruple Scotch and go to bed Rog. Works for me with a cold. I’m not a whisky lover but medicines must always taste nasty.

Gonna try that one Phil would that be with water or without?

Rog

32 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Manflu strikes again!

Seriously, Rog, there are some nasties around at the moment. I had one over Christmas and New Year. Hope you're soon feeling better.

Thankyou Jill, should  be ok tomorrow, hopefully get to Newark in the morning, I don't do shops and stuff but Mrs P sits me down on a seat somewhere with a "Bulwell dummy" while she goes in all the shops for a look around, The fresh air will do me good

Rog

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

No, neat Rog. About a quarter of a bottle and you’ll sleep like a baby and wake up a new man. You might fail a breath test next morning though!

"Wake up a new man?" if I drank that much I would probably wake up WITH a new man  :rotfl:

Rog

• Like 2

Well it's 04.58 on Saturday morning, still got this blocked nose but at least there's no aching bones and headaches so can only assume it's a mild cold, not sure what I'm doing today, the original plan was go to Newark in the morning and have a play with a vintage engine in the afternoon, not sure about Newark now and I'll leave the engines alone for today so it could be a day indoors where it's warm and out of the wind which has picked up with a vengeance in the last couple of hours, so if any of you are daft enough to be on "nottstalgia" at this time of the morning, I might catch you later, have a good day

Rog

We’ve had a busy time since NY.  We took the Christmas decs down early and drove down to London on 3rd January, had 2 nights in the Goring Hotel, went to see Les Miserables, then dinner in a private dining room in the hotel with 16 good friends from our previous stomping ground down south.   Then we drove over to Dorset and spent 8 days looking out at the wind and rain, we even had thunder and lightning on Thursday night.  Yesterday morning (Friday) we drove up to a golf course near Heathrow Airport to join around 70 family members celebrating my husband’s aunt’s 100th birthday.  And I must say she looked wonderful (for such a great age)  Now back in Nottingham, along with my brother-in-law who has come from Victoria BC for the birthday celebrations.  He’ll be with us for a few days before flying back to Canada.  We’ve crammed a lot into the past fortnight and I can’t believe we’re already half-way through January.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

How sad am I? I have spent the entire afternoon watching series 3 and 4 of Yellowstone. I watched the first two series on Paramount and got addicted to it and  now have a free trial of Paramount Plus to watch more. They’re now on series 5 and am halfway through 4 so a fair way to go. Lucky that I have been on my own all day and can chill out with Costner. What a brilliant series. Must just remember to cancel the subscription after the free trial.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, MRS B said:

How sad am I? I have spent the entire afternoon watching series 3 and 4 of Yellowstone. I watched the first two series on Paramount and got addicted to it and  now have a free trial of Paramount Plus to watch more. They’re now on series 5 and am halfway through 4 so a fair way to go. Lucky that I have been on my own all day and can chill out with Costner. What a brilliant series. Must just remember to cancel the subscription after the free trial.

If you enjoy it why not

Rog

This "cold" is not much better this morning, woke up fifteen minutes ago (03.50) coughing, thought it would be a good idea to get up and make a coffee instead of just lying there keeping Mrs P awake and to top it all the wind is blowing a gale outside and the TV aerial on the chimney is rattling in tune with the gusts of wind so between me coughing and sneezing there is also an accompaniment of tapping and rattling from the roof area, not a complaint mind just an observation, now where's me coffee

Rog

'ts cold here and low on oil so fire started and hopefully there will be some warmth. I have a good number of outstanding jobs to complete for SWIMBO, as most are outside I think I will plead age and infirmity and stick to sorting out the knives and forks. Got a good book to read so may combine that with absorbing warmth from fire. Makes me think about how we once took it for granted that in the winter it would be cold.

• Like 2

Frosty morning here is Staffs. About to get kitted up to take water samples from the Trent and a tributary. The indications are that the water quality is good, however it will take a year of regular sampling before drawing any conclusions.

The daily gym work is paying off and I feel much better than at this time last year. Done 300km on the rowing machine in first half of Jan - almost 2 hours p/d.

• Like 3