How's your day?

Whoops. Forgot it was Saturday. Got nabbed by the Jehovah's Witnesses this morning. I listened politely to their script then gave them a lecture on Buddhist philosophy. As expected, their eyes glazed over as the brainwashing kicked in. Don't listen, don't listen!!!  Basically, said I, you're looking at God right now and so am I. If you look at the cat in the window, you're still looking at God and that earthworm on the path is also God. We are all the same. No difference.  They scuttled off to bother someone else. One day, they might wake up? Bothering people on a Saturday morning gives them something to do, I suppose... otherwise they might start robbing banks (but not blood banks, of course).

• Like 5
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Chuffed with myself this morning . Managed to get into 98th position in the virtual team challenge - a global event run by Concept2, the gym equipment manufacturer. Been grinding out the kilometres every day to get into the first 100. Not bad considering that there are 10,141 entries :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Whenever the subject comes up I always wonder if Jehovah's Witnesses have ever converted anyone, anywhere at any time.

There's a joke about that. 

2 Jehovah Witnesses rang a door bell, the old fella opens the door to them.

"Good morning, we want to talk to you about our religion " one says.

Short on visitors, the old man welcomes them inside. He sits them down on the settee, sits opposite them and says, "OK, what do you want to tell me?"

They reply,  "We don't know. We've never got this far before!"

• Like 8

Speaking from admittedly very limited experience of the subject............I don't think they actually convert any new customers, the continuity is achieved within families. Newcomers are children of existing believers; it doesn't expand outside those who are already there.

• Like 1

Interesting I would have thought it a declining population as children do not always follow the religion of their parents. I think the men and women of the faith can exert great pressure on those who do not follow the path determined for them by the elders.  A great film to watch that  is about being "disfellowshipped" by the JW's.............. Apostacy. I recommend it as a good but discomforting watch.

• Like 3

Agree with both the above posts. Had some experience with it over the years.  I am not and never have been JW.  Disfellowshipping is a powerful weapon against any who dare to disagree.  Shunning by closest family has to be potentially emotionally devastating.  Certainly not Biblical.

• Like 3

They are not a Christian group no matter what they may say.  They have their own version of the Bible in which their translators took some diabolical liberties.  They are not as biblically literate as they pretend.  Just a few verses twisted to fit their various heresies.

• Like 1

What history does tell us is that unhappily religion appears to be one of the greatest reasons for humans to slaughter one another never mind disfellowshipping or transubstantiation.

Though recently I have noticed an increasing interest  in those words that begin with Trans.......

• Like 2

Sorry to disagree siddha - but it is ABUSE of religion that is a reason for us slaughtering one another. Using religion as a tool for power. Religion itself is a necessary ingredient in life for most. Although I am an agnostic, my Christian upbringing is still an integral part of my being.

• Like 3

Haven't seen a post here I really disagree with. Some crazy fanatics do, unfortunately use it as an excuse to bump off those they don't like.  I can honestly say I"ve never met a genuine Baptist (my crowd) who wanted to murder anybody.  We just hold 'em down for a long time and drown 'em.  :biggrin:   On that positive note I'll bow out of this interesting exchange 'cus it is just supposed to be about our day.  I'm busy barking, cough and cold.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

but it is ABUSE of religion that is a reason for us slaughtering one another.

OK I see that as a helpful way to describe the horrors of the last few centuries that have been justified by one religion or another. I am obviously not certain of this; but I suspect that those that have killed and hurt other in the name of their particular belief system would not recognise the idea that they are abusing their religion. Anyway forgive my sloppy use of language.

The more I think about this then I see it is probably impossible to separate out religious from economic and political motives in such a way that religious intentions can be understood to be without violence.

Loppylugs is right this thread is "How's the day" and here its sunny and bright with a good frost that's frozen the water my hens (and wild birds too) need so off to see what I can do to improve things for them. The plans for the day include pruning of apple trees and mending a broken music stand.

• Like 1

To me the so-called holy bible is merely a collection of myths and contributions from those who included their own particular thoughts and interpretations many years or centuries after the particular event as the truth, of which was merely of significant interest to them.

For example, feeding the five thousand with a few fish and loaves of bread went way beyond sensible comprehension.   

With all the other impossible miracles that have supposedly happened should these stories be taken as what actually happened or just the dreaming of a few of the excessively uncompromising?

Today I shall be mostly coming to Bulwell in Nottingham ; many many years since I have been there. Then on to Leicester ...........  feel like a travelling salesman.

Enjoy Bulwell Siddha.........if you fancy breakfast or even just a coffee....Jerholme's on main street is excellent........no market today but Bulwell is always good........:)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Alpha said:

To me the so-called holy bible is merely a collection of myths and contributions from those who included their own particular thoughts and interpretations many years or centuries after the particular event as the truth, of which was merely of significant interest to them.

For example, feeding the five thousand with a few fish and loaves of bread went way beyond sensible comprehension.   

With all the other impossible miracles that have supposedly happened should these stories be taken as what actually happened or just the dreaming of a few of the excessively uncompromising?

God's ways are beyond our understanding,  please do not mock the Lord's work .

• Like 1
On 1/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Whoops. Forgot it was Saturday. Got nabbed by the Jehovah's Witnesses this morning. I listened politely to their script then gave them a lecture on Buddhist philosophy. As expected, their eyes glazed over as the brainwashing kicked in. Don't listen, don't listen!!!  Basically, said I, you're looking at God right now and so am I. If you look at the cat in the window, you're still looking at God and that earthworm on the path is also God. We are all the same. No difference.  They scuttled off to bother someone else. One day, they might wake up? Bothering people on a Saturday morning gives them something to do, I suppose... otherwise they might start robbing banks (but not blood banks, of course).

Hahaha you didn't get your copy of the watch tower then Jill??????

On 1/22/2023 at 3:55 AM, PeverilPeril said:

Sorry to disagree siddha - but it is ABUSE of religion that is a reason for us slaughtering one another. Using religion as a tool for power. Religion itself is a necessary ingredient in life for most. Although I am an agnostic, my Christian upbringing is still an integral part of my being.

Well said PP 

• Like 1