How's your day?

Wash day again today, Got most of the chemicals Mrs P need to do the washing just got to get her to stop swinging that ponch around and get on with it

P1050812.jpg

P1060076.jpg

P1060077.jpg

P1060079.jpg

P1060081.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Spot on Rog., Mrs P looks quite fetching with that ponch. Does she take in washing? Give her my regards and ask her if she bakes bread too. Cheers to you both.

• Like 1

She's got to get the mangle from the outhouse when she's finished the washing, more moaning and grunting

Rog  slywink

I remember Fairy Soap. Mum used the blocks, along with Sunlight, for cleaning. In 1955, just before my sister's fifth birthday and before I was born, mum had a miscarriage and was hospitalized at Peel Street for roughly a week. My father had to look after my sister. When mum came home, she was horrified to see her daughter's face was red and scaly. Dad had been washing it with Fairy Soap instead of the Pears Soap mum always used for her children! Bless him, he wouldn't have known the difference!

• Like 1

I remember all those products, mum used to have a service tub washer with a mangle and my Aunt was the model for Pears soap (the face one) when she was little.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

I would love a classic mangle like that - especially one that beekay has pimped up.

Are you calling me a Pimp PP?

Actually, I'm quite flattered that you consider me worthy of a paintbrush and mangle. Cheers Cocker !!

What you really need is a copper! There was one in our kitchen when I was a child. It had originally been coal fired via a chimney but by the time I knew it, was gas fired. No vents. I remember New Basford Lad, bless him, saying how lethal those were due to the fumes. However, my mum loved hers and no washing machine could hold a candle to it.  I know Plantfit is someone who knows all about coppers and the risks they posed.

• Like 1

We had a boiling arrangement , it stood outside in the yard and was heated with a gas burner. The gas itself was through some old hosepipe or similar from a take off in the kitchen. It all worked and most of us have survived!!

• Like 1

Spent the weekend helping youngest daughter to move out of her present rental. My role mostly gloss painting a few window sills and other bits which have sustained minor marking from plant pots etc. Also filling assorted holes in walls caused by Rawlplugs and so on, then patching the paintwork.

The place was brand new when she moved in, so anything, even normal wear and tear, shows up. Last I saw the place was looking really good and even though the rental Co.,  have told her not to worry as they know she's been a good tenant, she expects them to find some excuse to withhold at least part of her deposit.

Meanwhile, she is moving into a bigger place..also rented at no small cost. It's only a couple of doors down from the  one oldest daughter owns. Without exaggeration it's a very desirable property in a pretty exclusive part of Salford, I.e Worsley, which I'd say equates to  posher bits of Sherwood/Mapperley Park or similar.

So, daughter arrives at new rental to find that promised re-paint hasn't happened, house is filthy, bins are full of unsorted rubbish which Council will not take away, freezer is full of rancid food, oven is filthy, few lights work, there's a shopping trolley and other assorted crap in garden etc.

She's given the renters 7 days to sort it or she will sort it and withhold rent to cover costs. No idea what the Law says but I've seen her take on people before and she doesn't take prisoners!

Just been for a swim. Did the walking about in the water first, as advised by physio, then 20 lengths of crawl and a bit of floating about to 'warm down'.

Always feel better for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dustbin day today out here in the land that god forgot, anyway I was waiting at the gate for my empty bin and I said to the bin man "a bit cold mate" his reply was " you southerners I don't know, you're up north now" my reply shocked him, "what an old lad from Nottingham" his reply was even better " bloody hell youth ere's yer bin" made my day

Rog

• Like 1
17 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Just been for a swim. Did the walking about in the water first, as advised by physio, then 20 lengths of crawl and a bit of floating about to 'warm down'.

Just laughed at myself - read your post as - 'Did the walking about on the water' :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Well done @dj360.....keep at it mate....never was much of a swimmer......no chance now anyway... with the breathing hole'' in me neck........i usually feel better after my short bike rides in the mornings......but for some reason feel knackered this morning.....think i pushed me sen a bit too much...

4 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Just laughed at myself - read your post as - 'Did the walking about on the water' :rolleyes:

Obviously, I can do that too when required..;)

An interesting spectacle in the very clear twilight sky these evenings. A glorious new crescent moon in formation with a bright Venus. Venus gaining elongation in the solar system throughout the coming months. 

Years ago in the Broads I witnessed a display of the Milky way arching from horizon to horizon. There was no light pollution at the time and no mist, just a crystal clear sky. When these things are clearly visible I always take time to immerse for a while in something different from the daily grind. Man may come and go but the stars (and their subordinates) go on and on in their own predetermined ways. 

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

An interesting spectacle in the very clear twilight sky these evenings. A glorious new crescent moon in formation with a bright Venus.

Having read that, I looked out of the window to my left, and there it was - in full view.

• Like 1

Trip to Retford market this morning but called at Markham first to pick up a garden shredder/chipper I bought second hand so that will be a job for tomorrow, give it a good cleaning, oiling and greasing where needed before starting on the birch tree cuttings I did a few weeks ago, anyway, cold and damp In Retford but had a nice breakfast in one of the little cafes near the market place, didn't fancy sitting in traffic at the roadworks on the outskirts of the town so decided to turn left out of the car park and head toward the A1 that way, big mistake, A1 blocked solid with traffic heading south from the Worksop junction, quick change of plan so finally ended up driving through part of Sherwood forest to Ollerton and back though Newark, nice drive so not complaining

Rog

• Like 2

Loving our newly installed wood-burning fire.  It’s not yer traditional type, we went for a ‘cassette’ type that sits inside a hole in the wall and it’s just gorgeous to look at and sit beside.   

We don’t have a fireplace in our little bungalow - wish we did-  and there’s not even enough space to fix an electric fire against the wall.  We do have radiators though so we do keep warm..

Today I shall be mostly changing lubes on Chrysler.

Moving hen coop ably assisted by cats. Communicating with hens and cats as needed.

Listening to the existential problems my kids are having to deal with as their incomes exceed their desired expenditure. Here Mr. Dickens comes to mind .........

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”

Mebee listen to a little music as the oil runs from Chrysler running gear..........for me heavenly!

Yesterday evening I watched "Three Minutes: A lengthening" on BBC iplayer quite a thoughtful documentary lasting about an hour. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Like 3