• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Commo said:

Quite surprised to hear that you've still got half day closing in The People's Republic, thought this had gone by the time shopping seemed compulsory 7 days a week.

The Shop Hours Act was brought in at the start of the 20th Century to give shop staff an entitlement to a five and a half day week, consolidated by The Shops Act 1912. Now that we are heading back to Victorian work hours it's good to see that that The People's Republic of Bulwell is staking a claim for workers rights!

Too right Commo, come the revolution, big changes planned !

Cold today, engineers arrived at 9-00am and off went the gas, then they discovered a syphon in the service pipe and couldn't get the new plastic pipe to push through, had to do extra excavations in the front garden to cut out the syphon so have only just got the gas back on. Same again next Tuesday when they renew the mains, living in hope it will not disrupt my attending the Samuel Hall meet up.

• Like 1

Spent much of the day at a Polish funeral. The church service went on for well over an hour, partly in Polish and part in English.

I can see why most Poles are so slim. It was like an aerobics session - stand, sit, kneel, stand, sit, kneel, stand, sit, then once round the church to collect a wafer and a slurp of holy water, followed by more standing, sitting, kneeling.

If you can call it that, the highlight was when the coffin was carried in. Five of the pall bearers were about 6ft tall, while the other, a good friend of ours, was 5ft, rather rotund, and was struggling to keep a hand hold.

Best was that he had hired a suit where the trousers were slightly over-size and had no belt or braces, so when the coffin was being carried from the hearse to the grave, he could feel that Gravity was taking over from his ability to keep his trousers up. Luckily, one of the Lymns experts took over before the inevitable happened.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Don't you have any mouse traps?

DJ that's not very nice,  no mouse traps but a new member of our family keeps trying to sit on the little Pom. 

Thursday Villa played in the Thursday League. Players were mainly barrow boys and market traders, affectionately called ‘Thursday Villains’  ;)

Sorry, the QUOTE facility didn’t seem to work ...... this refers to Ben’s post about Thursday Football League 

• Like 1

Just got back mesen Mick.............after the misery of yesterday Bulwell back to its best...........busy lots of ey-ups.....Wethers got Coffee back on the go..........me old Geezer mates all in, loads of banter,..........always well nearly) someone new and interesting to talk to,..........was having a 'Vape'[ out the back and got talking to a bloke who was lighting a fag and shaking both in both hands and a bit of a head shake.........had to ask him....''whats the shake all about mate''.?........he laughed and said...''Essential Tremor''  told him ive got it,but just in one hand ''........he then told me he'd had it 43 years''.........he was 71.........consider myself lucky,.....bless him..............

• Like 1

Ref above...........man with ''Essential Tremor''              You might think i was rude to ask him,..but as he said to me  ''no one as ever asked him straight out''  and he was happy to relate to me,         I am one to start casual conversations with strangers and over the years have met and  got to know people thru this......often lonely people who no one speaks to and i believe it helps their day, next time i see him will be nice because i now know his name and him mine,..............as 'Bob Hoskins' used to say 'its good to talk''

Too many people don't instigate a casual conversation............or is it just me that thinks this ?

• Like 4

Good for you, mate! I might not be as forthright as you, but I talk to strangers too. We’re all from the same species and all going in the same direction, and apart from a very few wrong-uns, were all basically decent with the same fears and hopes as everybody else.

Hurts no one and helps many.

• Like 2

Had a piece of good news today, my lad rang to say his lad, my grandson has just succeeded in getting an apprenticeship in "IT"  same work as my lad so in his case, like father like son !

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My mums saying is "a smile costs nothing" if someone on the bus smiles i return it and say hello you ok today. Some people will start a conversation others won't, i find that once you have had a chat the next time you see them they treat you like a friend. I will speak to anybody who speaks to me, as Ben says you maybe the only person they speak to that day.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I usually park mesen up on the seats in Tesco while Mrs C does the shopping. One day sat next to an old girl & we passed the time as you do & she mentioned she was in her late 80s, my comment to her was , smashing & you've still got yer marbles too. She saw the funny side of it too !

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, catfan said:

, smashing & you've still got yer marbles too. She saw the funny side of it too !

Nice one Mick..........should have followed that with ''what night are you free?''........they usually like that as well............

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A very sad and distressing day....... I finished off the last mince pie this afternoon !

• Like 1

Still got a big box of shortbread though smile2

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Nice one Mick..........should have followed that with ''what night are you free?''........they usually like that as well............

Have we ladies got that to look forward to in our80's

• Like 1

Wasn t allowed  to go in usual gate to work on Waverley st today.a section was cordoned off.with police .i had to ask the policeman how could get into work ?was told arboretum park was stil open .but would have walk in another gate and park car on a side road til cordon lifted which was just before dinner..seems been an incident.. we heard someone had robbed someone been chased by police and tazered we heard wether true or not

bulwell.jpg

Catfan i'm sure that you will be able to identify this image and tell me about it, was taken a number of years ago. It caught my intrest  as it looked old. timber style building.

• Like 2

Catfan, have just been told by hubby (know all) that i didn't take this picture, i remembered it from a vist to Bullwell and looked online and this is what i found. Evidently we passed the building on our way to somewhere but it stuck in my mind, tried to describe it later to family nobody knew what i was talking about.  Probably 10 years ago and then it seemed to be nicer than this pic.

Gem

• Like 1