How's your day?

9 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Soak everything down well with a good penetrating oil a few hits with a hammer if that does not work apply some heat but be careful.

That's no way to treat Gladioli! :wacko:

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

That's no way to treat Gladioli! :wacko:

I really don’t like Gladioli, they remind me of my Mum’s final days in Haywood House in 1988, a friend had taken some into her.  Just very sad memories every time I see Glads.  

My mother's first name was Gladys and when she returned to work after her two children had completed their schooling, some wag in the office gave her the affectionate name of Gladioli. She rather liked it and now they always remind me of her!

The other evening I watched with great interest a C5 program/documentry. It was about The Black Death coming to the UK and what the people  did to try and get rid of it.

The story was told by Dan Snow and it was excellent.

A day or so later I was thinking about the story  line and it came to mind that there was no mention of EYAME (for thoes who don't know the village of Eyame is a small village in the peek distric of  Derbyshire) well they  cut there selfs off from the rest of  the UK  and most of the people survived from the Black Death.  

So pen to paper   sorry computer  web page send e-mail. Answer thank you for getting in touch  with C5 we will look at any query and message you back. EMAIL  came saying just passed comment        to C5s producer   

WATCH THIS SPACE.                                                                                                  

• Like 1

I know Eyam pretty well and a walk round the churchyard shows that the village was devastated by The Black Death with almost 300 fatalities. Mompesson was, arguably, instrumental in saving many lives in isolating the village but Eyam by no means escaped unscathed. It is a very evocative place and well worth a visit.

• Like 1

Asda shopping first thing this morning, thats one chore out of the way, nipped to the petrol station and filled the car plus put some in my fuel can for the mowers and strimmers and save a bit for the old Lister D stationary engine, started to remove the ethanol from the petrol in the can so just need to transfer the unleaded ethanol free petrol to the garden equipment fuel can tomorrow, might have a ride out on my bike tomorrow as well

Rog

1 hour ago, Rob.L said:

@mary1947There wouldn’t have been a mention of Eyam.

The programme was about the Black Death in the 14th century, not the Plague which happened three hundred years later.

Many thanks Rob  L  for clearing this matter up for me,   xx

I would not have been confused if some one from channel 5 had told me, it would have been nice for them to explaine.

16 hours ago, plantfit said:

Asda shopping first thing this morning, thats one chore out of the way, nipped to the petrol station and filled the car plus put some in my fuel can for the mowers and strimmers and save a bit for the old Lister D stationary engine, started to remove the ethanol from the petrol in the can so just need to transfer the unleaded ethanol free petrol to the garden equipment fuel can tomorrow, might have a ride out on my bike tomorrow as well

Rog

Plantfit, what method do you use for removing ethanol from fuel?

I think he means he’s removing the ethanol based petrol from the can so that he is able run his garden machinery on the 5* ethanol free petrol. I run my machinery on ethanol based petrol but add a fuel conditioner. I’ve had no problems with restarting on old overwintered fuel this year. I run my 2 strokes on Aspen, a premixed two stroke fuel, which can safely be left over winter and does not degrade.

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Plantfit, what method do you use for removing ethanol from fuel?

pour E10 petrol in a 3ltr clear bottle leaving room for some water,add a small cup full of clean water, put top on bottle and shake well, leave to stand for few hours ( I leave mine over night) you can then see the separation between water/ethanol  and unleaded petrol, syphon off petrol, (I use a small 12 v pump and fuel proof tubing), syphon petrol into a clean can and safely dispose of water/ethanol mix, might sound a bit of a faff but there are far too many additives in petrol as it is without adding more

In this photo you can see the separation

DSCF2057.jpg

Rog

It goes in with the waste oil and thinners can then down to Great Northern Terrace Lincoln recycle plant Phil

Rog

I used some old two stroke fuel last year to light the garden burning bin but it went with a bit of a whoosh and left little smouldering heaps around the field so since then I put combustibles in a five gallon tub and take it to the disposers

Rog

Many years ago a friend of mine, who had a motor bodyworks, volunteered to light the village bonfire. He liberally poured lots of used paint thinners onto the heap and lit it whereupon there was a loud bang and he lost his eyebrows! I was in the pub in the next village at the time and I heard the explosion over the fields.

• Like 1

Should I be worried about using modern petrol in my lawnmower. It has a common Briggs and Stratton side valve engine or one of the Italian clones. Small lawn so runs no more than 10 minutes a time.

Today I am busy playing at a Coffee Morning set up by family of a local toddler just in remission. This for the supportive charity YOUNG LIVES V CANCER.  The this afternoon playing for a local Quire  celebrating a chapel bicentenary .......Its all go.

Letsavago keep using your mower with modern fuel and worry not! It is worth draining the tank at end of season.

31 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

Should I be worried about using modern petrol in my lawnmower. It has a common Briggs and Stratton side valve engine or one of the Italian clones. Small lawn so runs no more than 10 minutes a time.

I use ordinary fuel with the addition of Briggs & Stratton fuel conditioner (from Reg Taylor). No problems at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My next door neighbour has just bought a new petrol mower after his previous one was ruined using E10 fuel, all the plastic/fuel proof rubber fuel lines had gone brittle and leaked and the rubber diaphragm in the carb had perished, the instruction sheet that came with his new mower recommends using a fuel stabiliser with E10 fuel, so the choice is yours

Rog