How's your day?

I still have some good memories of the Netherfield area where I grew up.  I last visited in 1997.  As my late wife and I sat in Mcdonalds having a coffee she remarked that the shopping centre across the street looked like a Canadian area now.  That was where I used to fly my kite when I was a kid.

There is really no going back.  Though the USA has it's faults I am happy enough here now with my photo albums and memories.

• Like 5
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Another coincidence! We’ve just returned from the very place you’re describing. We’ve been to Morrisons Netherfield on the Victoria Retail Park. There seems to be a Chinese community springing up in the area, similar to Bingham. I presume they’re from Hong Kong and are moving into the new housing being built on the surrounding green fields.

• Like 1

Funny how you view places from your childhood days........When i was born in 1945 on Old Bestwood Estate it was always 'Suffixed'' Bulwell..((not so now)........so i consider my self a 'Bestwood Boy'' from Bulwell..........All my greater relatives came from Bulwell and most moved into Council Houses on Bestwood estate in the thirties.........

Bulwell was always the ''go to'' place for shopping and we always new it as ''Bulwell Town''

The funny thing is i look back on Bulwell with very fond memories...whereas Old Bestwood sometimes gives me a sad feeling..although i couldn't have had a better ''Childhood' surrounded by loving relatives...mostly now interred in Bulwell Cemetery......Which is probably where my 'Tinge' of sadness comes from........

The great thing about my Bulwell visits is the fact that all the people i bump'' into are old friends all from Bestwood.....Love 'Waxing on' about Bulwell and Bestwood.......sorry i'll Shurrup now.........

• Like 7

Keep writing ben i have a few ties with Bulwool my uncle had stall on market day there selling veggies a Lawrence Hatton from Nuthall the farm is still there today on New Farm Lane. My mate in the early 60s did his apprenticeship at a garage on Main st. i can picture the place but can not remember the name somewhere near Jennison st. I believe.

• Like 1

Same thing here Jill its all part of getting older great times in the 50s and 60s growing up in the UK did not have much but enjoyed what we had a lot of gadgets were home made still think about going all day playing not like todays strange world.

Grass cut this morning, new primer bulb arrived for the Briggs and Stratton engined mower that my neighbour said he blew up so set too and changed that, everything now works as it should, the mower I used earlier is all cleaned down ready for next time although I might use the one I've just repaired, as mentioned in another thread the old carbide bike lamp arrived so spent the afternoon cleaning that in the shed, cooked a quick dinner today of sausage meat balls, tinned tomatoes bread and butter then back in the shed for last half hour lamp cleaning and no there was no genie come out of it before anyone asks

Rog

• Like 1

Same thing here Jill its all part of getting older great times in the 50s and 60s growing up in the UK did not have much but enjoyed what we had a lot of gadgets were home made still think about going all day playing not like todays strange world.

• Like 1

Although I only lived in Bulwell from 1977 to 1987, I still have fond memories of that area. My older brother was born on Lime Street, Commercial Road and my Paternal grandparents lived on Commercial Road, (back door via Mersey street). A little bit further up on the left, my Aunt and Uncle ran the 'Cross Keys' pub. Used to love nipping across the road to Cheethams, aka 'Chobbers' for an ice cream wafer. It was fascinating watching the ice cream sandwich being made. My late little brother's wife still lives on Gilead Street.

I did use to frequent the pubs in the market place, The Star, Horse and Jockey, King Billy etc. All well before I was old enough and still worked at Bestwood colliery.

• Like 1

Ian Finn you have caused me a problem all I can do is try and remember the name of the garage on Main street As you said it was just past Jennison Street , it had a rear entrance for their cars down there. It holds memories for me as the wife and I were walking past the garage and I saw a MGA for sale which took my fancy, I started looking around the car and the wife announced dont bother we cannot afford it now as you are going to be a father. So no MGA a son instead, the end of my days of one of the lads about Town.  The garage moved to the other end of Bulwell and started selling motor homes. I will remember the name of the garage thats all I can think about now.

• Like 1

I knew Roger Pearce who owned Brownhills. He moved to a site on Newark Marina owned by his friend John Wilkinson and he sold motorhomes from there. He ultimately moved to the old army depot site on Lincoln Rd. where the company still trades as Brownhills but Roger sold it some years ago and made a pile of money. He bought the magnificent Caunton Hall. I bought a motor cruiser, Sybaris, from him many years ago. It was built by Bourne Plastics at Langar but they used to operate from Netherfield where they used to fabricate grp body shells for the Lotus Elan in the 60’s. I believe Roger is no longer with us, he’d be 83 if he was alive. His son still operates a motor home sales company at Gunthorpe trading as Fullers Motorhomes. Lots of memories for me there!

• Like 1

Didn't Broughs take over that garage? I remember buying a mk5 Cortina from them so I could go taxi-ing for A2B taxis, Basford, in October 1986.

Broughs did have a garage opposite side of the road  from Jennison Street now occupied by a van sales company.

PS Beekay I also used to be a regular visitor to those drinking establishments that you mentioned.

• Like 1

My brother used to have a blue MGA, what a great car it was.

Can anyone remember the garage that used to be near Broad Marsh before the centre was built ? Think the name began with a “C” The daughter was Denise.

Walk around Newark market this morning, not very big today, the river is still a bit high and a bit muddy looking, back home for a coffee then out with the trimmer to do that bit of field other side of my back garden, all cleaned down and ready to be put back in the garden equipment shed, short bike ride around the local area on the Raleigh Activator 2, rides nice after the tyres have been changed, time for some lunch now, hope you all have a great day

Rog

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Got a 3rd in the National but backed the WINNER in the last race.   

I am glad that our racing authorities in SA have seen fit to ban all jumps events from this season and into the future.

Three racehorses had to be euthanased in this years' Aintree Festival and 62 have suffered the same fate since 2000. 16 in the Grand National. Yes, I know horses still get put down after being injured in flat races but nowhere near the numbers involved in jumps events. I really think it is about time jumps racing was ended for good for the safety of both the horses and riders.

Before anyone says I am anti-racing I love going to the races and have part owned a number of winning horses in the past. There is nothing more exciting that to have your horse flash past the post first.