• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

The Grand National always caused problems at work.

There's always someone who thought it would be a good idea to have a Grand National Sweepstake, and they'd go round all the offices trying to blackmail everyone into taking part. A surprisingly large number of people weren't interested (largely on moral grounds) and the sweep organiser could never understand why anyone wouldn't want to take part 'just for a bit of fun'.

• Like 1

I had a bet on the ‘National’ 60 years ago. I lost. I’ve never bet on a race since. I’ve known people in the horse-racing game, living near to Southwell race course. I can tell you, if you didn’t already know, horse racing is ‘fixed’.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

The Grand National always caused problems at work.

Same here. I always refused. I've never been in favour of it. Others might have regarded it as a bit of fun but do the horses see it that way? The lame excuse, "They wouldn't run if they didn't want to," never convinced me.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Beekay,

Thing's aint going to get better! What bright side?

Well, for a start,  you're alive ain't ya?

And you live in one of the best counties in Britain.

Oh dear, the locals round here are really upset tonight, a load of ‘travellers’ have pitched up on the Carrington Cricket Ground, what used to be the Police Training Ground, (and I think @benjamin1945played football there many times).  
It seems they broke down the gates when it got dark and have been driving all over the pitch and cricket square.  The Police are in attendance but this could take a week or more to resolve.  I know many of the residents whose properties back onto the field and feel so sorry for them.

It’s  shocking that these people, who pay no taxes think they can move onto land belonging to other people.  They’re a law unto themselves.  

Got this welcome message from APHA. My hens will be very pleased tomorrow morning!

Dear Stakeholder

Plans have been announced to lift the Avian Influenza Prevention Zone housing measures for poultry and captive birds in England and Wales from 00:01 on Tuesday 18 April 2023. However, the Avian Influenza Prevention Zone mandatory biosecurity measures will remain in place for all birds.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Oh dear, the locals round here are really upset tonight, a load of ‘travellers’ have pitched up on the Carrington Cricket Ground, what used to be the Police Training Ground, (and I think @benjamin1945played football there many times).   They’re a law unto themselves 

I certainly did Lizzie...playing for Notts Corinthians in the Thursday league against the Police..early 60s......good standard of Amatuer football......

I had a run in with the so called ''Travellers''' a few years ago in Morrisons car park Bulwell........one of them threatened to beat me up for having the cheek to use the Zebra crossing in front of them in their Van..........i stood my ground and held up the traffic whilst they kept revving their engine.........and jerking towards me and opening and closing his door as if he was getting out to me...Cut a long story short the Police (having finished their ''Breakfast'' in Morrisons canteen) confronted me and when i used that awful word ''Gypsy's'' threatened to arrest me.......yes they are a law unto themselves.....it being in Bulwell i had a gang of little old ladies sticking up for me.......even the 'Travellers' didnt argue with them.....lol

• Like 2

I find it amazing that there are people who have sympathy for so-called travellers and their lifestyle. I don't see anything romantic or glamorous about driving over sports grounds, breaking down fences, and leaving piles of litter in their wake.

Someone has posted a photo this morning, from his bedroom window.  I can see at least 16 caravans plus trucks and vans/cars on the photo.  
It’s totally unacceptable for this to happen anywhere, especially in the midst of a quiet residential area.   Of course the do-gooders are out there posting, telling us that these poor travellers have very few places to set up camp.  So it’s alright to break into a green space and churn it up then?!!
Anyone want their drive tarmaced? 

Wherever they bully their way in it is unacceptable!!  They never leave a place as they find it!!

They are exploiting our weak laws are the proposals below not yet on the statute books?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/strengthening-police-powers-to-tackle-unauthorised-encampments/outcome/government-response-to-the-consultation-strengthening-police-powers-to-tackle-unauthorised-encampments-accessible-version

Nearby Newark is a Traveller town. Many live down Tolney Lane opposite the castle. Even though it’s in a high flood zone they have built bungalows there without planning permission. Tarmacing  is not the main occupation now. There’s a lot of scrap collectors, tree surgeons and landscapers. These are travellers that don’t travel much.

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance but where did all the  'travellors' come from?

In all of my years growing up in the UK I never really heard of them, and certainly nothing of the damage and lawbreaking they seem to be causing now.

I can remember a gypsy lady who used to come to the bungalow at Tollerton selling pegs. She scared me, I always thought she was going to kidnap me for some reason!

@MRS B  there was a story going round that they would kidnap small children, then rub walnut juice on tne child’s skin so they looked like a gypsy child.

We used to skip to the rhyme:  

“My mother said that I never should

play with the gypsies in the wood”

I must say that tne travellers I have spoken to are just like any other people to me.  Most of the ones I know are now settled in houses ( not on traveller sites ) and their houses are ABSOLUTELY SPOTLESS- puts me to shame!  One of them is a friend of mine.

I suppose there’s good and bad behaviour in every part of society …..

Obviously I hate the thought of rubbish being left on temporary sites but I also hate the rubbish left in lay-bys and fly tipping along country roads and parks!  

• Upvote 1

They’re scammers. I had one come to tell me there was a very dangerous tree at the end of our drive. I knew there wasn’t but he argued. I told him to go and get permission from the tree officer at the council to cut it down as we are in a conservation area (we aren’t). He never came back. Much of the crime in Newark is traced to the inhabitants of the Tolney Lane site but the police are scared to go down there.

We just knew them as gypsies as a kid, only saw them when they came door to door selling either pegs or 'lucky' heather. Never saw where they lived.

Margie, I can remember the gypsy rhyme, now you mention it.

any news on the meet up date btw?

Mrs B

I’ve been briefly  trying to find the meet up thread but it didn’t work for me.  Could somebody else find it please and then I’ll confirm all the details…. TIA

The cricket ground is leased to the Carrington and Cavalier Cricket Club and as such it’s them and not the city council who need to move them on.  Lots of local residents (including me) have written to the local councillors.  As it’s local elections in a couple of weeks they might try a bit harder to help, it won’t alter my mind about where I put my X though.  Our Polling Station is in THAT cricket pavilion, so a good reason to get the travellers moving on.  One local resident has found something on a Facebook page that they’ve turned up for a wedding, bet that’ll be a riotous event.  

The Travellers vacated the cricket ground late last evening, en masse and in convoy and with horns blaring, much to the relief and delight of the neighbourhood.   Now the willing, fit and able members of our community and cricket team members will set about cleaning up the field and sorting out a cricket pitch for the Asian cricket team that leases it.