How's your day?

If the book is going spare Phil I'd very much like it, could be that my clock restoring days are just starting, send me a pm about collection/posing/meeting or other

Rog

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

IMG-7346.jpgThis is my anniversary clock. I tried to picture the fact it has a small cup in the base. This is usefull as you adjust the feet until the centre of the weights, which on my example has barley twist spike with a pip on the end is in the centre of the cup hence dead level. It runs manny months between winds but not a year. Normally all the clocks of this type have some sort of ‘cup’ in the base to stop the weights moving too far. I don’t see any evidence of one on yours plantfit. Often the cup has some way of raising it slightly to take the weight of the balls for transporting this saving breaking the torsion spring. They are not very accurate and devils to adjust as the beat is sooooo slooow it takes days to show inaccuracies. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

@letsavagoorequest for a lathe reminded me that I have a Harrison M250 in the workshop which I haven’t had cause to use for over 15 years. I didn’t like to offer my services as I wasn’t sure if it still worked. It only took half an hour to find the correct lubricant, inject oil into the lubrication points and wipe it over with a paraffin rag. It looks reasonably passable now and started and ran with no problems. Fortunately I have the original handbook so I worked out what all the knobs do! I gather @siddhahas offered his assistance and as I haven’t done any lathe work in years he will be considerably more competent.

Kind offer Phil and you are close to me but I’ve message Siddah now with the details so I’ll see what he says. Thank you.

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

If the book is going spare Phil I'd very much like it, could be that my clock restoring days are just starting, send me a pm about collection/posing/meeting or other

Rog

Just a suggestion. I’m not sure where you live planfit but I visit Lincoln quite frequently and usually return through the villages, Bassingham, Stapleford Coddington etc. so I guess I will practically pass your house. I could collect the clock book from Phil if that is acceptable with you Phil and drop it to you PF. I’m going in the morning but might not be able to get the book for tomorrow but next time which won’t be long.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

No problem. Now I’ve got it running again the offer’s there if you ever want to have a play with it.

That is an offer that may well come in handy in the future. I had to smile at the fact that you have such a machine that you forgot about. Not exactly a pocket sized inconspicuous item. They’re quite a size I believe. Thanks Phil.  

Letsavagoo, There is no cup or any other method of securing the weights on this one of mine, I don't think it's of much worth to be honest but it is good for me to learn on, the weights are quite heavy and I can see where you would need some sort of restraint when moving the clock though, the mechanics of the thing are fairly straight forward but I can imagine the regulating it is the most time consuming and requires an awful amount of patience, any tips and pointers are most helpful

Rog

letsavagoo, very kind of you, I am between Bassingham and Stapleford at Carlton Le Moorland and you must pass the end of the close on Norton Disney road

Rog

1 minute ago, plantfit said:

letsavagoo, very kind of you, I am between Bassingham and Stapleford at Carlton Le Moorland and you must pass the end of the close on Norton Disney road

Rog

Practically pass your door then. Let’s see what Phil says.

• Like 1

Good to see the NS Network bringing people together to  fix stuff etc.

Does anyone have an automatic paving stone layer I could borrow? :wacko:

Seriously, on the home straight now with all ground prepped and only 5 left to lay.

In other news I 've been plagued with toothache for days. Appointment on Friday.

9 hours ago, plantfit said:

Letsavagoo, There is no cup or any other method of securing the weights on this one of mine, I don't think it's of much worth to be honest but it is good for me to learn on, the weights are quite heavy and I can see where you would need some sort of restraint when moving the clock though, the mechanics of the thing are fairly straight forward but I can imagine the regulating it is the most time consuming and requires an awful amount of patience, any tips and pointers are most helpful

Rog

Mine is made by Kundo, a west German company. I don’t think these were very expensive. It’s not very well finished, bit rough on the plates but it’s quite attractive and I like the visual action and it works well. I think I picked mine up for about £10-15, no more. It was complete and working so I just cleaned it. I saw one with a broken torsion spring in a charity shop somewhere recently. I did have one of the modern battery quartz versions for years and when I saw this thought I’d get a ‘proper one’. The battery one kept better time. 
I’m no expert on these so can offer little advice other if you’ve got a train to catch, don’t rely on it for the correct time and be careful oiling it as at the end of the gear train the energy available is tiny and sae 30 is no use here. YouTube is your best resource.
If you’re going to get into horology you must get the terminology correct. I once asked where the toilet was on a boat (or was it a ship) and was firmly reprimanded and told it was ‘the head’.

Clocks strike so this not striking is a timepiece. I know. I call it a clock too.

• Like 1

You see, I'm finding out about clocks/timepieces already, it certainly is a very interesting pastime/hobby made all the more interesting by knowledgeable people like yourself

Rog

If you’re getting an interest in horology then a trip to the British Horological Museum at Upton near Southwell is an essential. They open in the summer months but only on a Friday between 11 and 3. They have a website. You can enroll on various courses there as well if you’re really keen. I know the secretary to the director. Her husband is my barber!

• Like 1

I know about that place Phil been past many times on my trike and bike but never been in, I also hear they have a small cafe or sommat for a cuppa and cake which I must try next time in that area, The courses do sound interesting though

Rog

Busy old day again but no bike ride today, mainly work in the shed doing a bit of soldering and fabrication work on the old lamp plus some cleaning work on the time piece, anyway this afternoon Phil came to my place with the clock repairers handbook for me, what a lovely person and so knowledgeable, we had a great natter about all manner of things which I found very interesting and informative, many thanks for the book Phil it was a pleasure meeting you

Rog

I've dabbled with clocks (not just that big 'un).  One repair in the 1980s that sticks in my mind belonged to someone who worked with my wife (you know how it goes... he can fix owt, bring it in).

The pinion was broken off the end of the balance wheel shaft.  I managed to source a new shaft but had to transfer the bits over from the old shaft.  The balance wheel with spring was easily removed.  That left a tiny collar with a pin that actuated the escape mechanism.  I teased it upwards using two pairs of long nose pliers and heard 'ping' before realising it was gone.

I was in a workshop so there were plenty of hiding places.  After a lengthy fingertip search high and low including the carpeted floor, a colleague came in and asked what I was up to - I explained.  Within a few seconds he said "Is this it?" and picked my lost part up from the window ledge.

• Like 1

My day?

Went to Wrightington this A.M for review of new knee.  Was pleased to see Prof. Kay. A very eminent surgeon, and nothing like the archetypal pompous self important type from the Doctor and Carry On films. A genuinely nice chap. He checked me over and told me that issues I've had  are unpleasant but normal.

Asked him if  we could delay my second knee replacement for a couple of weeks, as Mrs Col has been offered almost same date for eye surgery  and we don't  both need to be out of action at same time. No problem.

Almost as soon as I got home, I got a call from 'admissions' and arranged new date. Feel very lucky to be getting this treatment considering state of the NHS.

Later..laid one paver..which refused close go level..so left it. I'll sort it tomorrow.

• Like 2

Remember seeing Linda Lewis perform at the Knebworth festival in 1975. Everyone was there to see the likes of Pink Floyd and Captain Beefheart, both of whose music was somewhat at odds with hers, but she put on a really good performance.

• Upvote 1

My day took a surprising turn. I've had tooth pain for a couple weeks which was diagnosed as a flare up due to bone loss between two teeth. However, weeks of saline rinses and shoving an interdental brush up into my jawbone haven't resolved it so the next option was to remove one of the teeth.

So that's gone. . . It's possible I may lose the other one too.

Still . I seem to be running out of time faster than teeth, so why worry?

Here's hoping it doesn't  turn into a dry socket like my last two extractions...

And I really do wish I'd had breakfast... I'm starving  and not allowed to eat for a couple of hours yet ....:(

Amused to see that our daughter and Ruby, her dog, were on sky News yesterday and in the Telegraph today. They turned up to vote yesterday and Ruby was wearing an ID tag complete with her photo. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Col, don’t worry about the teeth, you’re better off without them. Lizzie would agree.  I had my latest out two weeks ago which was mithering me (is that a Notts word ?) Took the bull by the horns as off to Florence on Monday and didn’t want any trouble over there with it while I’m eating lots of pizza. 

• Upvote 1

Yo should be alright Mrs.B., just stick to sucking spaghetti and tagliatelle through your lips. :hungr:thumbsup

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Dentist pinched one of my teeth and charged me £120 for the privilege... Even Lizzie got better value.:laugh:

• Upvote 1