How's your day?

Aww Margie maybe it will improve and hopefully is just temporary.

Just got back early hours from my favourite city Florence. I never want to come back!  I have never seen so many Yanks there before, think they’ve re invented the Grand Tour doing whistle stop 2 day visits over a fortnight to the places where you need a whole lot more than that.

IMG-0958.jpg

IMG-0953.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

Can I recommend peat free compost if you don't already use it as it's a lot more sustainable and eco friendly! 

Well plants, growbags and compost have cost me £106. I’m hoping for bumper crops! The owner of the nursery specifically instructed me not to use peat free compost as that was not the medium they were grown in and ‘peat free would kill em’. I didn’t see her logic but I will follow her instruction!. My contribution to being eco friendly is maintaining four acres of wildflower meadow so I think I contribute more than most people.

• Like 2

Hope you reap what you sow phil gardening is good for you bit of exercise and watching evey thing grow thats better than going to the supermarket you get ripped off there if they have anything in stock.

• Like 1

I quite enjoy going to a supermarket to see the ‘sights’. The best today was a ‘woman of colour’ riding an electric scooter down the aisle with a security guard in hot pursuit! That was in Morrison’s - wouldn’t happen in Waitrose!

• Like 1

Elsewhere in Italy, Il Papa told off some woman for asking him to bless her baby who turned out to be a dog! Miserable little pontiff. I hope it bit him! The Bishop of Rome ( as our old vicar would insist on calling him) rather likes putting his hands on the swollen abdomens of pregnant women, apparently. He calls it blessing. I call it very concerning.

• Like 1

They are all a bunch of crooks Jill, as Jesus once said (according to the bible anyway) you have turned my fathers house into a den of thieves, and papa is a  proper Fagin

Rog

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I quite enjoy going to a supermarket to see the ‘sights’. The best today was a ‘woman of colour’ riding an electric scooter down the aisle with a security guard in hot pursuit! That was in Morrison’s - wouldn’t happen in Waitrose!

Phil, not sure why she is described as a ‘woman of colour’ Was she not just a woman ? 
On another note, do you do your own composting? You can always mix half of that when it’s ready with half bought compost. I can understand your comments about peat free as a lot of it soon dries out and is very woody. At least the peat compost did hold the moisture. One of the reasons for not depleting the peat bogs is that they absorb so much carbon, even more than trees which can only be a good thing.

• Upvote 1
On 4/29/2023 at 8:40 PM, plantfit said:

Lovely walk around Newark this morning

Is anyone off to the County Show today at the Newark Showground?

I remember being there from school in the 60s with a 30 feet high artificial climbing wall

Drove passed there on my way to Newark this morning, plenty of traffic heading that way when we was coming back, hope the weather warms up a bit for them should be a great show as always

Rog

Just got back from a Fair in the next village.  Lots of country crafts and stalls selling (I think) expensive Knick knacks. The older I get the more I realise there is so much stuff I DONT need!

There was a low fly-past by a Lancaster - it flew 3 times over us and was very loud.  There was a fun dog show - prettiest bitch, waggiest tail, dog most like it’s owner, best sausage catcher and scruffiest dog.  Lots of fun - there were around 50 dogs taking part and not too many scuffles among the male dogs.   
There was also dozens of vintage cars , motorbikes and scooters but the don’t really interest me except for those we used to have in the sixties!
We bought some climbing French bean plants so just about to put those in.  An enjoyable day ….

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's only a little thing but, I've just had an email from the manager at Sheffield Park, to say that a little boy had been asking about me and wanted to know where I was. He went away with his parents quite happy when told I was safe and well. He is one of the many passengers that I carry on my 7 seater shuttle buggy around the parkland and to and from the car parks. Fair made my day. Had loads of photographs taken with both kids and adults, but nobody ever sends one to us. Like P.P says, 'Life is good'.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Really pleased for you Barrie, always nice when you hear of things like that, well done mate for creating the right impression on the youngster

Rog

• Like 1

If I've got parents with kids on board I always try to make it entertaining as possible, not just carry them from A 2 B. The youngsters love to have a ride round before getting to the entrance.

If it's all adults, I always say, "Once we're under way, I'll come round with the drinks trolley and duty frees". Remember it's only the size of a golf buggy. Always breaks the ice though. If less mobile need a lift anywhere I tell them to ask any staff member with a radio to put a call out for 'Barrie' and I'll come and get them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Finally on my way to visit Nottingham, it was a rather last minute decision. Couldn't decide on where to stay either in town or in one of the surrounding villages, we finally decided on Rainworth Lodge on Blidworth Lane which i assume is in Blidworth?. I use sat nav my friend insists on a map ...she is not a fan of gadgets. If there are any special events over next few days would appreciate any information. 

Gem

I organised and ran our annual darts match Friday night. Didn't do me any good, I still got knocked out by a lady, but at least I were beaten by the winner. Menu of the evening was Jacket taters with cheese and  beans or large hot dogs. Another success, even though I  say so meself. Me next one will be a quiz night in mid July. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have an enjoyable visit @Gem, at least it looks to be a dry week down here.  Don’t know of any ‘special events’ going on but Wollaton Hall has a temporary exhibition by sculptural artist Willard Wigan, miniatures assembled  inside the eye of a needle.  We haven’t been yet but intend to.  Wollaton Hall is free to enter, apart from car park charges.  Shame the City Council can’t give free entry into the Castle! 

5 hours ago, Gem said:

Finally on my way to visit Nottingham, it was a rather last minute decision. Couldn't decide on where to stay either in town or in one of the surrounding villages, we finally decided on Rainworth Lodge on Blidworth Lane which i assume is in Blidworth?. I use sat nav my friend insists on a map ...she is not a fan of gadgets. If there are any special events over next few days would appreciate any information. 

Gem

Just found your message,  What special events? Well sorry to say you have missed "Ladies Day" at Nottingham races, but while you are in Bliderth or Renith as the locals call them call and have dinner/lunch at The Brunt Stump or the nice pub at Bllidworth bottoms, you can also take a walk around Brunt stump Park. If you have young children then try the Whitepost  farm also there is Patchins crafts where you can learn to paint (this Is on the Mansfiled ramper)  plus visit  Flley Priory Gardens. Theres more PUBS? there are excellent pubs all around this area. and more ??? watch this space.

Burnt Stump park, lovely walk if the weather is good, spend a little time listening for birdsong

Rog

I’ve been in the greenhouses in 30 degree heat preparing for potting up cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. My wife asked me what I going to do with the enormous surplus of crops. I said I’ll give them away to friends and loved ones. ‘That won’t get rid of many’ she said.:(

• Like 2
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Burnt Stump park, lovely walk if the weather is good, spend a little time listening for birdsong

Rog

Try Papplewick pumping Station while you're in that area. Magnificent steam engine. Unless of course they've moved it in my absence. 

• Like 3

It’s certainly right for a long, cool beer Barrie. Fortunately I went to the Milestone Brewery on Friday and bought a case and I’m quaffing a pint now. Never tasted better! It’s too far from the house to economically put in an electricity supply but I believe they grow cannabis on ‘free’ electricity anyway don’t they.

• Like 1