• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

1 hour ago, IAN FINN said:

You should win that one Beekay.

Win which one Ian, old pal, old mate? Dint even win at darts last Friday. Beaten by a girl. Oh the shame !!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gem said:

Finally on my way to visit Nottingham, it was a rather last minute decision. Couldn't decide on where to stay either in town or in one of the surrounding villages, we finally decided on Rainworth Lodge on Blidworth Lane which i assume is in Blidworth?.

When was the last time you were in Nottingham ?  If it's a long time ago (eg several years) you might struggle to find your way around now.

And if you remember the city centre as having a lot of shops.....it's not like that any more.

• Like 1

Been quite preoccupied what with one thing and another, so a little summary of not much...

I'm continuing to try to sort the garden and the paving before my up coming knee op, which is now put back to 12 June.

Only 3 paving flags left to lay now, but one a day feels like enough.

Cardio lot seem satisfied that I'm now on the 'Big 4' meds for the HF. Early days but I'm inclined to think that the latest med has improved things a little bit.

The 'Buzz' from the Eurovision contest in Liverpool could be felt from here.  If I was a bit more mobile I'd have braved the crowds and gone for a wander round, just to see what was what..but I didn't fancy the crowded train run..

Consensus seems to be that Liverpool did a fantastic job of staging the event and many 'sideshows' too. As for the contest itself.. it seems to me that the 'music' now almost plays second fiddle to the party and at least for me the songs are mostly forgettable. That said, the contest is a huge, friendly, supportive and inclusive event, and I couldn't help wondering what old 'One Tank' Putin and his misery-arsed crew think when they see what can be achieved through a communal effort in (more or less) liberal democracies.

I believe that Putin had the Ukrainian city where the band came from hit with missiles before they came on stage. That’s how much he cares.

Thanks Lizzie for the info about the art through the eye of a needle. I watched a programme on the guy a while ago and will definitely be going to see this.

Went out for a superb Sunday lunch with our oldest friends to The Woodlark in Lambley, where we eat quite regularly and they never disappoint.  Next month ‘The Lambley’ in the village is due to re-open, for the umpteenth time and hope the new owners will make a go of it.  We were chucked out of there (twice!) several years ago, the landlord should never have been in the hospitality industry, both times we ended up in the car park wondering what the hell we’d said or done!!! 
Oh and it’s our 48th Wedding Anniversary today.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Happy anniversary @LizzieM

My mother's family (maternal line) came from Lambley and she spent a lot of time there as a child. Her parents and siblings and herself often visited family members there after tea on Sundays. The children would play in the fields whilst the adults enjoyed a drink in The Woodlark. At one time, every pub in Lambley was kept by great grandma Lizzie Thompson's relatives, all of them retired farmers.  My mother and some of her friends spent what would now be called her hen night at The Nag's Head which still had earth closets at the time!

• Like 1

Many congratulations Lizzie that’s a great innings.

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary Lizzie!!!

From experience..I'd say the first 51 years are the worst...:laugh:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Just found your message,  What special events? Well sorry to say you have missed "Ladies Day" at Nottingham races, but while you are in Bliderth or Renith as the locals call them call and have dinner/lunch at The Brunt Stump or the nice pub at Bllidworth bottoms, you can also take a walk around Brunt stump Park. If you have young children then try the Whitepost  farm also there is Patchins crafts where you can learn to paint (this Is on the Mansfiled ramper)  plus visit  Flley Priory Gardens. Theres more PUBS? there are excellent pubs all around this area. and more ??? watch this space.

Thank you Mary we will definitely try the the pubs you mention and check out the painting option. We are heading into town but think we are going to be disappointed regarding a shopping spree.

Gem

17 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

When was the last time you were in Nottingham ?  If it's a long time ago (eg several years) you might struggle to find your way around now.

And if you remember the city centre as having a lot of shops.....it's not like that any more.

It's been a lot of years and i remember lots of shops, however i am sure there will be a shopping outlet somewhere ?.

Gem

Decided not to take car into city centre.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Have an enjoyable visit @Gem, at least it looks to be a dry week down here.  Don’t know of any ‘special events’ going on but Wollaton Hall has a temporary exhibition by sculptural artist Willard Wigan, miniatures assembled  inside the eye of a needle.  We haven’t been yet but intend to.  Wollaton Hall is free to enter, apart from car park charges.  Shame the City Council can’t give free entry into the Castle! 

We will definitely visit Wollaton Hall it will have changed a lot since my last visit.

Happy Anniversary 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Happy Anniversary Lizzie!!!

From experience..I'd say the first 51 years are the worst...:laugh:

Wait till you reach 58, and still counting.

The Fox & Hounds at Blidworth Bottoms is a lovely little pub, with decent food.

If you’re planning on walking around Blidworth woods, though, don’t go there late in the day. I used to walk our Labrador round there and it took a while to work out why there were so many cars in the car park and nobody walking.

I found out later that it was a hotspot for “dogging”.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gem said:

We will definitely visit Wollaton Hall it will have changed a lot since my last visit.

Happy Anniversary 

The exhibits have been moved around but George the Gorilla is still there! 

Wonder what happened to the four cannons that used to stand at the top of the steps, near the entrance? Remember playing on them as a nipper when we used to aim over Wollaton and Bilborough. Never did know why we wanted to shell those areas, apart from the fact that we couldn't turn the cannons any other direction, although we could raise and lower the elevation. There wasn't any sign of them when we attended a wedding reception there in May 2022.

7 hours ago, Gem said:

It's been a lot of years and i remember lots of shops, however i am sure there will be a shopping outlet somewhere ?.

Gem

Decided not to take car into city centre.

McArthur Glen at J28 on M1 is the best outlet locally, you can easily get there via  Mansfield 

7 hours ago, Rob.L said:

If you’re planning on walking around Blidworth woods, though, don’t go there late in the day. I used to walk our Labrador round there and it took a while to work out why there were so many cars in the car park and nobody walking.

I found out later that it was a hotspot for “dogging”.

This was, and I’m going back 25 years, a daytime ‘cottaging’ hotspot. I’m sure most will be familiar with that term but if you’re not a place for gay liaisons. 

It's not a road to be travelling on in bad weather. I remember hitting the skids along there some years ago one icy morning with some pill*ck driving far too fast and far too close behind me. I didn't sustain any damage but he did.