How's your day?

On a totally different note my husband mowed the lawn yesterday and managed to shut one of our cats in the shed for 10 hours! Fortunately it’s not in the sun. Oops

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Well I’ve been reet badly for the past couple of weeks but felt a bit better this morning so sat out in the garden while the sun was out. I heard the cuckoo for the first time this year. It was a long way off and I couldn’t tell what direction. Have you heard it yet Phil as it seems to base itself somewhere between our villages. I seem to think I usually hear it earlier in the year. Perhaps the cold and wet has kept it quiet.

We’ve heard nothing so far over here. I just went outside to check but all was silent. We did have a pair of geese land on the field yesterday. I’m not well up on geese but they certainly weren’t the Canada variety.

They could have been Greylag geese, Anser Anser.

Or were you very lucky and had Egyptian geese.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

They could have been Greylag geese, Anser Anser.

Or were you very lucky and had Egyptian geese.

Specially for you Barrie

Woodhall-wildlife-6.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

We visited Osterley House and Garden in Isleworth last year and these geese were there. I had never seen one before and had to Google what I was looking at! Beautiful birds.

• Like 1

Cheers Rog., was aware what they looked like. We had a couple of pairs down at the National water sports centre, back when I worked there in 1977. There was also a resident pair outside the cottages at Wroxham, (Broad Tours, Wroxham Bridge).

@philmayfield, have you managed to identify your geese?

Just heard that it's the 80th anniversary of  WW2 Lancaster bomber of the Dambuster's raids. It had a flypast in Lincolnshire. There is no one left  who was on the dambusters raid     it  has flown over 28 former bomber commander stations between 7 00 / 800pm to-day.

On a Sunday many years ago my brother was stationed at Scamptom, the home of the Lanc (then the Red Arrows)  well my brother went to see the sargent on the gate as at the time the old Lancaster sat at the entrance of Scamptom base. We had permission from the sergeant to have a look inside the Lancaster, well once inside I dont know  how any body would survive as you could not turn around or even swing the cat round, it was just amazing.

• Like 2

Well big ears some had to keep them going. 

Hope you are both well 

Hows my day more like hows my month. It started off OK looking around a garden centre I saw a nice wooden arch and fancy trellis . That will go great on my decking so I purchased it . On placing it on the decking it made the decking look cr*p. so off to buy new decking. A lot of screws to take out and replace so I brought a new impact driver to make life easy. Old decking off only to find the frame underneath rotten so all old frame taken out new wood purchased. New holes dug and posts concreted in and new wooden frame installed all while having to move the summer house off the old decking. New decking installed ,too many screws to put in even with new impact driver, decking given two coats of oil and summer house put back in place of course this had to be repainted as it now looked scruffy . Now finished, no arch and trellis needs oiling and all old decking disposed of. When I found the frame was rotten I wanted to burn it all including summer house and cover the area with coloured stones, not allowed to. My son helped me or was it I hindered him, all this while feeling under the weather.

I have now vowed never to go near a Garden Centre again and never ever do anything for myself again I will pay to have anything done in future. I have ungracefully accepted that I am to old and nack*   not fit enough to do tasks like this again. All because I liked the look of this stupid wooden arch.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Love the story Trogg. But it put me in mind of, and couldn't shift the idea of...Flanders and Swann, with their ditty, "When the gasman came to call". Or perhaps, "The wheelbarrow and bricks tale".

Keep your driver charged pal, and stick to supervising your lad. !

• Like 3

Ye gods, young Trogg. After reading your story, I felt the need to go and lie down in a darkened room. Can't do that, however, because I'm decorating! Yes, me too. I am aware that I can't do what I once did as quickly and easily as I once did it. Anno Domini, again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I remember stopping to look at the Scampton Lancaster Gate guardian on a few occasions. I think it was taken to the RAF museum at Henlow.

I should have said Hendon. I’ve been many times. There’s another superb and similar museum at Cosford. Newark’s not bad but on a much smaller scale.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, trogg said:

Hows my day more like hows my month. It started off OK looking around a garden centre I saw a nice wooden arch and fancy trellis . That will go great on my decking so I purchased it . On placing it on the decking it made the decking look cr*p. so off to buy new decking.

After a tale like that,  you'll have to post a photo of the end result so we can all admire your handiwork.

• Like 3

Cliff Ton here is the photo as requested, the pole in the picture belongs to my sons dog he comes through the gate in the top left of the fence which is my sons garden. He visits us every day, he carries the pole down to the back door, when he leaves he carries it back again, what is it with dogs and sticks?

The summer house has never been used for its original purpose its is now used for storage, someone who will not be named wants to know why I need four sheds, all full of valuable stuff, well it is to me. Its a male thing.  

deck.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2