How's your day?

FWIW. Today seems to have been a terrible day all round on UK roads.  Big crash on the M58 near us (Two fataliities) and all of the associated 'knock on' problems.  Just all added to the chaos we already have from  massive and lengthy works nearby at Windle, which iis causing people to divert through our village on roads not meant for such traffic.

Still.. we  have roofs over our heads, food in our cupboards etc.  These are mere inconveniences.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Planning an early night tonight; I'm having a lie-in tomorrow and I want to be fresh for it.

• Like 1

Been a good day today despite still having a runny nose and a bit of a cough (last antibiotic tonight, they have eased it a bit). Met up with a friend from my “yoof” who I havent seen for 40 years or so, just kept in touch with Christmas and birthday cards. Was worried we wouldn’t recognise each other and perhaps had drifted too far apart but as I walked up to the meeting place I recognised her and we had the biggest hug. We haven’t stopped talking for over 4 hours (taking in coffee shop, drink in pub and then meal in pub). It was like we had never been apart and really rolled back the years. So much to talk about and pictures to share. Feel on a right high, I suppose real friendship doesnt really die off no matter how long you are apart. She lives on the bottom of the estate I live on so it will be a regular thing now. There are a couple of other friends who I have lost touch with that I am still searching for and will continue to see if I can find them after this. As I said a good day, makes up for the bad ones when I feel a bit lonely.

• Like 7

I can't believe that UK medics are still prescribing antibiotics to treat colds (and 'flu).

It's been well known for many years that both colds and 'flu are caused by viruses and that antibiotics are totally ineffective against them.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jonab said:

I can't believe that UK medics are still prescribing antibiotics to treat colds (and 'flu).

It's been well known for many years that both colds and 'flu are caused by viruses and that antibiotics are totally ineffective against them.

The last time, many years ago, when I went to the doctors’ for antibiotics for a sore throat I came out with an appointment for a vasectomy. I think he was getting kick back from the surgeon on all the patients he could forward to him!

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

The last time, many years ago, when I went to the doctors’ for antibiotics for a sore throat I came out with an appointment for a vasectomy. I think he was getting kick back from the surgeon on all the patients he could forward to him!

The Doc took one look at you Phil and decided that there would no more like you if he had anything to do with it! :biggrin:

1 hour ago, jonab said:

Better to give them something rather than saying 'go home, stay warm and wait it out'  and get a reputation as a poor doctor who does nothing for you..

5 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

The Doc took one look at you Phil and decided that there would no more like you if he had anything to do with it! :biggrin:

Yes, once perfection has been achieved where can you go from there?:biggrin: There are two little Mayfield’s though. - not so little now!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

It's the first day since Xmas eave that I am clear of cold and hacking cough. Would not dream of going to the Docs for antibiotics....doubt if I would be referred for a vasectomy....

It might cure your cough! I remember the nurse saying ‘I’m supposed to be wiping the surgeon’s brow, not yours!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Brew said:

Better to give them something rather than saying 'go home, stay warm and wait it out'  and get a reputation as a poor doctor who does nothing for you..

There's more to it than not being effective, there is the ever-increasing danger of antibiotic resistance in normally susceptible organisms following indiscriminate prescribing for normally trivial illnesses.

• Like 2

It's true  the rise of the superbug is a problem but people expect to come away with some form of treatment from the doctors, not to hear them say 'there's nothing I can do for you'.

36 minutes ago, Brew said:

It's true  the rise of the superbug is a problem but people expect to come away with some form of treatment from the doctors, not to hear them say 'there's nothing I can do for you'.

It's a pity that the doctors are not allowed to tell a patient the truth about self inflicted illnesses.

If they had the time to discuss issues with a patient and the support support to give honest advice there would be a massif reduction in prescribed medication. Patients are often their own worst enemy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

After one of my outlaws was discharged from her third hospital internment in two years several months ago, she was told in no uncertain terms that her NEXT cigarette could be her last. Stopped ! No chance. A waste of resources and oxygen.

Oh such a sad day for me !....... I've just scoffed the last mince pie ! 

Just a footnote, antibiotics were for a chest infection that I was left with after having a heavy cold (sounded a bit like Darth Vader), wouldn’t dream of going to doctors for a cold I just dose myself, lasts 7 days if you do, a week if you don’t.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

This is more ‘How Was My Yesterday’ 

We were in London for a couple of days this week.  Took in a show and a superb dinner with 18 friends  in a private dining room at The Royal Garden Hotel.  All great but we really didn’t have time to do a lot yesterday morning, other than retail therapy, which to be honest I wasn’t fussed about doing.  We decided to get back to St Pancras and check on the cost of changing our rail tickets to a train 2 hours earlier than originally booked. 

Our original tickets cost £98 return for 2 of us.  East Midlands Trains wanted £52 each to change our one-way tickets!  We decided to have a nice lunch for half of that and kill the 2 hours we needed to spend in the station.  Isn’t it a magnificent building though?!  

F64-FF19-E-18-CD-4763-934-A-567-D6-D299496-C03-F33-DC12-40-B7-A631-39-C20-EE2850

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

You should have felt "at home" there Lizzie , surrounded by Mapperley bricks :)

"Extensive brickyards existed on Mapperley Hills for several centuries. They ultimately supplied much of the building material for the city and 10 million Mapperley bricks were used to build St Pancras station in London. Nottingham Patent Brick Company"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, DAVIDW said:

You should have felt "at home" there Lizzie , surrounded by Mapperley bricks :)

I did think about that David, it’s magnificent. The restaurant we had lunch in was just beautiful, nice and warm too!  

• Like 1
On 1/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, PeverilPeril said:

It's a pity that the doctors are not allowed to tell a patient the truth about self inflicted illnesses.

If they had the time to discuss issues with a patient and the support support to give honest advice there would be a massif reduction in prescribed medication. Patients are often their own worst enemy.

But is this really the case?  I've had advice from Docs on how to reduce attacks of indigestion, how to think about my booze consumption and diet etc.  I've also sought, and been given advice on what exercise is appropriate/sensible given my age, health etc.  When I was a smoker the line was always 'You need to stop'.  After I had a heart attack it was "If you don't stop.. you WILL have another attack".  I stopped.  Didn't really need to be told.. just needed to find the way..

Docs can be a law unto themselves.. like the one who totally ignored my reporting of my (then) high levels of exercise, low fat diet etc.,. but jumped on my booze consumption.  You can't please some people...

• Like 1

Fair enough DJ, but at least you did something about your problems and you are still, very much, here among us :cool:

I just typed up a great rant about my take on GP's, patient's attitudes, funding, salt and sugar abuse etc., but deleted it. I felt better for typing it though :biggrin:

• Like 3