• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Funny old day with various issues but ended up on an interesting note. Fishing club meeting this evening. Returned home with 3000 hooks to sell in aid of club funds of and two geese. Will dress the geese in the morning and share with neighbours. Cats were interested but totally overwhelmed :biggrin: 

• Like 2

Just got back from Circle at QMC having had an ultrasound on my thyroid. Got a taxi there, easier than getting the bus dropped me outside. I was about 20 minutes early, just settled down to read my book when they called me in. Really nice doctor did it, confirmed I have 2 nodules not 1, one each side of my thyroid (never did like uneven numbers why have 1 when you can have 2). Nothing nasty and he said just leave them alone, not worth having a needle put in them. (WHAT! Don’t think they would have got near me to do that anyway) Found my way to main road and got a bus back (might as well use my bus pass). I must say the bus services here are excellent, so much better than Doncaster where I was before. Feel quite proud of myself as before my husband would have been with me and it seemed a bit daunting going on my own. So now I have done two things by myself today, gone to the hospital and been on a bus by myself without having a panic/anxiety attack. Just little steps but they mount up! Got myself 2 Belgian Buns to celebrate, just had 1 with a cup of tea the other I will have later. A good day:)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Well done, SG.  As you say, doing little steps is the way to go, I reckon.  Pleased it was relatively good news about your thyroid.   So no medication?

I have been given 5mg tablets, this is my third week taking them, they are minute, worry about dropping them don’t think I would find them if I do! I think they are the smallest dose you can get. Back at the doctor next week to see how I have got on with them, the only side effect I have had (up to now) is making my hair fall out a bit and it is very dry, but apparently this should stop once my body has adjusted to them (I hope). Haven’t noticed any real difference yet but leaflet says 4 to 6 weeks before they really start to work. I have to have a blood test beginning of March and then have a telephone appointment with clinic to find out results. They seem to think I will be able to eventually cut down medication and might end up not needing it at all (fingers crossed). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's usually the underactive thyroid itself which causes dry skin/hair etc, so this should improve with the meds (and you should get more energy, too)

• Like 1

Breakfast as per in Bulwell with the Geezers,,,struggled chewing with me new Teeth,,need filing down,,

Normal bunch at table,, but one (76yr old) tells us his wife left him,,,after much discussion we agreed with his wife,,she did the right thing,,,,,,lol

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Very true. Dodgy thyroids affect every cell in the body but as long as you keep taking the tablets, as they say, things will improve.

I spent a long time struggling to commute on the bike, sweating, short of breath - two hours to do a twenty minute journey. Several times helped by passers by. Put the symptoms down to the heart condition. Then the GP had a brainwave. Had the test, ended up at the thyroid clinic at the City Hospital. Went on the bike, and the first trip I was over an hour late! Still saw me. A professor Al Kidiki and a doctor Saif Sahir. My tests showed what was clinically described as a knackered thyroid (workrate about 3% of capacity). Started the tablets; worked within 5 days. Spent a year belting to and from the clinic to get the balance of medication right, haven't looked back since. Last November, after the annual check, GP reduced the dosage. Feel even better now.

They really will work, just give them time.

• Like 2

Prof Elkidiki is lovely. I've seen her twice at Kings Mill.

The worst thing about thyroid problems is that it creeps up on you so slowly and it's not until it becomes quite bad that you begin to notice there's anything wrong.

So many people these days have this problem and I'd love to know why.

Must be something in the water in your neck of he woods (pardon the pun) as I don't know anyone round here with thyroid problems.(altho' there must be some, I suppose)  ... look up 'Derbyshire neck'

Spent most of today working in my shed after taking Mrs P to the gym, I fixed a home made model engineers lathe to one of my old B&D workmates just got to work out how to fix a motor to it,the motor that came with it seems to be far too big both physically and power wise,probably some sort of sewing machine motor will do, next job was to repair a weather vane shaft that had broke at the right angle bend, it belongs to a member of the coffee morning club I go to on a Monday,the parent metal was far too thin to weld so after trying to drill the metal shaft and some brace material effect a join it wasn't long before I drilled through my finger,blood everywhere,it then came to me,why not sleeve the break in the steel shaft with copper tubing and solder a copper elbow to the two copper sleeves,worked perfect and it's a strong join.

Next job was to have a go at truing the big wheel on the Penny Farthing I am restoring, much harder than todays modern wheels but I'm getting there.

Any way, here's few pictures of my achievements so far

P1070129.jpg

P1070130.jpg

P1070131.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

I would like to share my good news, my eldest granddaughter has after 10 hard months of exams and interviews been accepted into Northumbria Police. Her grandad would have been so proud .

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

24 hours ago I was sitting on this beach drying me bathers before they were packed in my case to come home.   We had the most wonderful time in Barbados and tonight we’ll be thinking of our livers and staying in. :biggrin:

E616-E860-A533-4024-9-F69-D6047-DF18065.5-B71-CEA2-AC6-B-4-CA8-A423-5803-F2-CD51

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

By gum Lizzie, that looks inviting !

• Upvote 1