How's your day?

Today I learned that 3' x 2' flags weigh about twice as much as they did 23 years  ago.  So do bags of cement, gravel and sand.  I finished the repair to my drive about 7:00 pm, though still a bit of work to do tidying up.

I am, as they say, 'Cream Crackered', and will probably be unable to move tomorrow. 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Nahh. I know the results and didn't have the nail biting stress before finding out...  :)

Well the DAY started yesterday. Rain and I mean rain has been twinkling her wet feet now for 36 hrs and more to come down until 9 pm. The roads are flooding and covered in mud. The pool skimmer is now covered by the water and we're worried should it get to the state where it will overflow because theres already a river running down the road and the overflow pipes are now letting streams through. However we may have a solution if it gets to that stage, but we'll get very wet in the process. We can do a backwash or empty to waste. Both will reduce the level but in doing so we still have to lift the lid( very big and heavy) where all the controls and instruments are . The problem will be that the well where it is will also let in the rain and the water is very difficult to get out even with a separate pump. Hoping it stops or at least eases up. Thankyou Scotland. Apparently this extra heavy rain has been brought on by very cold air in Scotland meeting the very hot air here. Not my words but the weather forcasts.

• Upvote 1

Interesting!   Went up to meet the funeral director at a local funeral home and cemetary to talk about a plot for me.  Mrs. L already has one.  I Have one in Canada, but the cost of shipping me back could get pretty expensive if I go before Mrs L.

I know it might sound a bit macabre, but I think its good to think about it while one is still able to make rational decisions and not leave one's loved ones to make such choices.

Looks expensive but we await his final numbers.  Whaddya think?

Don't disagree with you, Phil.  Funerals are more for the living than the dead.  Each person must plan according to their own convictions.  My own decisions are tending to revolve around place, and cost.  One will tend to be dependent on the other.  Won't bother me too much when the time comes.

Far as I'm concerned they could dig a hole and dump me in like an old dog.  Hope that doesn't offend anybody.  Its just the way I feel.

• Like 1

The astronomic rise in costs of funeral services in the U.K. is under investigation by the Government. Costs have risen by double the rate of inflation over the past fourteen years. Have you ever seen a poor undertaker or a poor bookmaker? The odds are always in their favour!

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Far as I'm concerned they could dig a hole and dump me in like an old dog.  Hope that doesn't offend anybody.  Its just the way I feel.

Agree entirely, Loppy. Too many undertakers preying on the consciences of vulnerable people at a sad time. My mother used to say we should spend time with people and take them flowers while they were here, not to their funeral. I'm of the same opinion. 

When I've finished with my overcoat, people can take any bits they want and chuck the rest. I plan to be otherwise engaged!

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, radfordred said:

I was thinking I could do a deal with some kebab house on Hyson Green to take my remains? 

If I ever get back to the UK, remind me to leave the Kebabs alone.  :Shock:

• Like 2

Imperious Caesar, dead and turned to clay,

Might stop a hole to keep the wind away.

Oh, that the earth which held the world in awe

Should patch the wall to expel the winter's flaw!

Shakespeare puts it aptly, as usual.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DIY funerals, get a cardboard or wicker coffin, estate car or van and off you go. You can be buried in your own garden you just have to let people know when you sell the house.

There's a song from 1967 by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band called "Buy for me the rain".   One verse from the lyrics sums up the subject......

I cannot buy you happiness, I cannot buy you years;
I cannot buy you happiness in place of all the tears.
But I can buy for you a gravestone, to lay behind your head.
Gravestones cheer the living, dear, they're no use to the dead.

• Like 2

I quite like the idea of garden burial. Depends on the water table, I believe. Used to know someone who lived in an old cottage. It had belonged to a Quaker lady centuries earlier and she was buried somewhere in the garden. No one knows where. My friends had a number of dogs during their time there but none ever unearthed any bones!

My brother-in-law was buried in the corner of one of his fields in Balcombe, Sussex.  His coffin was a hollowed out tree trunk from their own ancient woodland, my nephew has a JCB and dug the hole but when the time came to drop him in it the hole wasn’t big enough!  The digger was put into action again and there was a successful result.  I didn’t go to the funeral but my husband did.  He said the whole episode was like a comedy show with him and several other men struggling to keep the coffin level so the deceased didn’t fall out.  Sister-in-law made the area into a proper grave with coloured stone etc. This was a few years ago and she’s since sold the farm. I’ve never thought to ask the reaction of the purchaser.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2