DJ360

How's your day?

I was amazed at the amount of people who left their cars and walked to the front of the traffic just to have a look what was happening,morbid curiosity I suppose but on this occasion there were no injuries thankfully,

Rog

• Like 1

No idea what was involved in the accident but we had traffic reports on the car radio all the way from Northants and none of them mentioned anything about this shunt . 

It was a pickup truck towing a trailer, it was only a few vehicles in front of me,when I saw the trailer waving about from lane to lane everyone started to slow down,next thing it had gone over,as I wrote thankfully no one was hurt and everyone started to slow at the same time,credit to all drivers for seeing a problem developing

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Towing takes extra skill, I’m always very wary of people towing caravans.  I know there are one or two caravanners on here and I’m not generalising but I do think that when the summer months bring out the caravan holidaymakers the roads become more dangerous! 

• Like 3

Very true Lizzie, even a trucker I've been watching on Youtube say's towing a travel trailer with a truck or car is much more difficult than driving his semi with a 53ft 40 ton trailer!!

The hardest skill to learn is backing a trailer up, I learned if you put both hands on the bottom of the steering wheel, all you do is steer it where you want it to go, unlike steering from the top, where you have to think backwards, from the bottom makes it 100% easier.

I pull a trailer often behind my pickup, and I've towed a 28 foot travel trailer across the US. Going up the steep pass east of Salt Lake City was a pain in the butt, 2nd and third gear up the steep grades.

Electric brakes on a trailer help a lot too, as long as the driver has them adjusted correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

I do think that when the summer months bring out the caravan holidaymakers the roads become more dangerous! 

True Lizzie I've towed a caravan many miles and the number of car drivers  that will break 

their neck to get round you is amazing, even if you are driving to the speed limit.  

It’s frustrating to follow a stream of caravans but I can see your view on it too Sue! 

I towed for years, and it's so easy with a stabiliser. 

With a 28 footer you have to have a "travel trailer load distribution hitch", they are just too heavy otherwise and the trucks steering would be extremely light without one. Even with one of those, you can feel drag when a large semi trailer overtakes you, it's a weird sensation until you get used to them. On travel trailers as big as ours, electric brakes are mandatory as the trailer is very heavy.

Scary going down those very steep windy grades over the Sierras , Wasatch and Rocky Mountains, I'm glad I had a five speed manual where I could let the engine hold me back. My latest truck does have "manual over ride" on the auto transmission, I can stop, set it in neutral and select manual and which gear I want it locked in, it's a six speed automatic transmission.

First time out today for a while,, met up in Wethers with couple of sons and Grandaughter,,who all made mothers day nice for the wife,,

Grandaughter was celebrating her new job as a holiday rep and flies off to Spain to start later this week, 

Also bumped into old friend whos had the same Op as me,,we will compare notes later this week, should be interesting,, just nice to be out and about again,,

• Like 16

Well done Ben. That's it, positive thinking and an optimistic outlook will win the day. Good on yer ! smile2

• Like 1

Great to see you posting again Ben, keep at it kid! 

• Like 5

We are all pleased to see you back again Ben Stay well.

• Like 2

Awaiting delivery of a new "Premier Inn" Hypnos mattress today. This is the fouth different delivery date they have set but not yet managed to deliver.

1 hour ago, Compo said:

Awaiting delivery of a new "Premier Inn" Hypnos mattress today. This is the fouth different delivery date they have set but not yet managed to deliver.

Tell them to read a proper map not use satnav,  probably got lost the last three times but won't admit it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great to know you're out and about ben. :biggrin:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gem said:

Tell them to read a proper map not use satnav,  probably got lost the last three times but won't admit it.

Yes we tell our delivery men to do that, some say they don't have them. Here in the village we have streets/roads called Valle. One called Via Valle and the other Strada Valle. we often get a note saying no one was in when I stay in all day waiting for a delivery.

• Like 2

Can't believe what I encountered this morning. Called into a supermarket to buy a pack of batteries for my daughter. I handed over a 20 euro note and the cashier asked if I had anything smaller. I found a 10 euro tucked away and handed it to him in return he handed back my 20. he sat looking at the note and at the till, I wondered what was wrong so I asked him if there was a problem. No he said and took out a calculator. The batteries cost 6.99 so it doesn't need a degree to calculate the change from 10 euro. Even a 6 yr old can do it.

I stood there with my mouth open I couldn't believe it. He wasn't a young person or seemed to have any difficulties and he certainly wasn't old . Shows you how these new tills do everything but wrap the goods.

I paid cash for our Mother's day meal, I think it was the first time the waitress had ever seen cash, she was lost! 

• Like 3

I had to go to Ely hospital for another eye test this afternoon.  Paul was going to drive me there, but he was urgently needed by a solicitor who was sorting out some details about a church member who has died, so I went on the bus from our village into Ely centre and  then walked the 2 miles to the hospital from there.  It was such a lovely sunny day that I really enjoyed the 45 minute walk.   (I didn't rush!!)

• Like 2

Margie that's just over two and a half mph, you were fair whizzing along compared to my pace..yada

• Upvote 1