• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

When my mother died the assessor ‘phoned to say they were coming to value her furniture and chattels. She lived in the adjoining granny flat with a connecting door. I asked them what they expected to find? ‘Ah,’ he said, ‘we’ll put the value in at nil then.’ That still didn’t stop me having an eye watering assessment for her house, bank account and investments. I did get the house and land plus a few quid. She was 92, suffering with Alzheimer’s and generally making our lives very difficult. There was enough left in her petty cash for the four of us to have a slap up lunch at the Sagar after the cremation!

52 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

She was 92, suffering with Alzheimer’s and generally making our lives very difficult.

I don't doubt that there were times when, at a considerably younger age and with all your marbles, you made her life very difficult! 

• Like 2

Lizzie in hospital I couldnt eat anything. Hospital food is never very good but this consisted of dried up pasta, very sloppy puree and spinach and creme caramel or fruit puree. The pasta was pushed to one side straightaway then just a forkful of potato and the same with spinach. When I was able to get out of bed it wasn't much better. My sil brought me something everyday but the things she liked and thought i would like. She kept telling me to eat but I just couldnt swallow. Its beginning to get better but I havent got the same interest in food that I had before. I know I have to eat so have decided to eat more frequently lighter meals. I soon feel full. Don't know whether I'll recouperate the 4 kg I have lost but will give it a good try.. Trouble is I don't feel hungry.

Just wondering, In UK is all saints day celebrated apart for Halloween? It's very much celebrated here, being a village many young ones left years ago to more affluent parts and only return to pay their respects to long gone families. Chrysanthemums fill the cemeteries and it's a mad rush to find eateries. Today my son and husband were invaded by mostly ex patriots living in Germany Switzerland etc.  My son is still working now it's almost 7 pm and they have to start again for service this evening. My daughter has just phoned me. She started work at 8am has just sat down to rest a while before she starts her evening service. Tough job but they love it.

A few years ago, there was a preponderance of candles in jars appearing on graves with Polish names on the headstones, even in tiny village churchyards here in Derbyshire on All Saints.  Presumably, it was the Polish expat community who placed them there and credit goes to those who did the reconnaissance. Must have taken some organising. It seems to have stopped now. Presumably, they've all returned home.

I thought it was a very nice gesture.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes Jill it seems to be the catholic population that do it. Personally I think it's a form of expected tradition although I do think it's nice. Our village was overloaded yesterday and now they've mostly gone back to Milan, Turin or wherever their homes are now. Candles in red jars are in abundance everywhere not just for this occasion, even where road accidents have happened.

My day has been shattered by the link below, an "influencer" on the internet wants teaching of World War 2 to be cut back as it may affect their mental health. Dose he not realise that kids his own age and younger fought and  died for the freedom of future generations, like him. What is happening with his generation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7638687/Instagram-influencer-22-claims-learning-World-War-Two-hit-millennials-MENTAL-HEALTH.html

• Like 3

Back in 1990, we were staying in Auffach, Austria for Christmas. On Christmas eve we had a walk into the village about midnight and came upon the little graveyard. In the still of the night we could  hear a tiny tinkling in the air. On investigation in the graveyard we noticed lots of candles burning in little red glasses set on the graves and surrounded by about 10" of snow. We soon realised that the tinkling was coming from the little glasses. Apparently the actual glass was battling  between the heat of the candle and the extreme cold of the air and snow, so was expanding and contracting causing the tinkling. This was happening on all the graves that had lit candles, each had a little clear area around the glass, so in the dark the tiny pockets of light were magical.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I couldn't agree with you more, young Trogg!

Only last night, I watched a DVD of The Dambusters filmed in 1955, before the pc brigade got in on the act.

History is history. It cannot be changed, it should not be rewritten and God forbid we should start apologising for it! The young men who risked...and in many cases gave...their lives to defend this wonderful country of ours from the Nazi menace should be remembered with pride, revered for their courage and regarded with gratitude. Without them, we'd have been slaughtered.  Their stories deserve to be told. To brush their deeds aside for fear of upsetting the, apparently, fragile emotions of some of today's younger generation is to dishonour the memory of individuals without whose selfless dedication and bravery our country would have been well and truly sunk without a trace.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

These people should be made to watch films taken by war cameramen who where on the front line to record what they really went through and all the suffering and death all around them, but they still carried on. 

• Upvote 1

So many people like to bang on about 'rights' these days. They don't seem to realise that the right to sleep peacefully in your bed at night, enjoy freedom to do what you like, believe what you wish and say what you think does not come without a cost: usually a cost which has been paid by someone else. I think we forget that at our peril.

Like most of us, I don't remember the dangers and privations of hostilities but I was brought up by those who did and met during my working life many others whose stories made me realise that only an idiot takes freedom for granted. There will always be someone who wants to take freedom away and what do you do then? 

• Like 3

Political correctness is destroying Western civilization.  I'm fed up to the teeth with it.  We are so afraid of 'offending' somebody our respective countries are being given away from underneath us.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, MargieH said:

Col, how come you had some cod yesterday?  You don't like fish!!

In general Margie, I don't like fish.  I certainly don't like any kind of shell fish or crustaceans..  I recall our camping trip to Brittany many years ago when it seemed every eating house there was plastered with signs pushing 'Moules et Huitres', 'Crustaces' et 'Fruits De Mer'.  It makes me heave just thinking about it.  What I find the worst is the smell of a fish market, or of prawns, salmon etc., that are seemingly less than fresh..

What I also find intensely annoying is TV Chefs who go on endlessly  about 'the real taste of the sea'.  I mean come on.. I know what the sea tastes like..  I've swallowed enough of it over the years.. and I really wouldn't want my food tasting like that...:ohmy:

However.. on very rare occassions when I'm in the mood.... and hungry.... and I know that the particular place actually knows how to cook Cod properly and in a nice light batter.. then I'll make an exception.

The Docklands Chippy in the Albert Dock complex in Liverpool is excellent, so I had Cod and Peas.  No chips. (Waistline etc... and I wasn't THAT hungry..)  I'm still pretty fussy over how I have my fish.. on the rare occasions I do so....   bit of salt and vinegar and that's it.  I ignored the small sachets of Tomato Ketchup and Tartare Sauce that came along with my Cod.  I also don't see how a 'complimentary' pickled onion adds to the experience.. so left that too.  All those things have their rightful place. but not on my battered cod.  

1 hour ago, trogg said:

My day has been shattered by the link below, an "influencer" on the internet wants teaching of World War 2 to be cut back as it may affect their mental health. Dose he not realise that kids his own age and younger fought and  died for the freedom of future generations, like him. What is happening with his generation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7638687/Instagram-influencer-22-claims-learning-World-War-Two-hit-millennials-MENTAL-HEALTH.html

I agree Trogg.  The lad is clearly very poorly informed and as with many young people these days, seems to derive his whole world view from his limited experiences and no doubt equally limited circle of friends.  However.. also key for me in this is that this story is pushed by the Daily Mail. We'd probably not have heard about it except that the Daily Mail loves this sort of thing.  Right up their street and guaranteed to wind people up.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

I read some time ago that Cod had been fished almost to extinction and whats left is somewhat suspect.  I used to love a bit of Cod and chips, but I'm a bit wary of it now.

I think there's some truth in that Dave and there have been many examples here, of local 'Chippies' palming off all sorts of rubbish as 'Cod'.  However, I think that a place like the Docklands Chippy would be taking a huge risk if they did the same. 

• Like 1

I am back at the school invigilating again for the resits, just 5 exams this time. Been relaxing this afternoon (think I might have closed my eyes for a second or two) after being in the lecture room this morning. Why is it that those who want a pen are always in the top seat so you have to go up all the steps to get to them?
I saw the pupil I took through all the exams this summer he is in the sixth form now which is what he wanted. 
Got 2 more exams to do this week, all morning ones and then just 1 next week which is an afternoon one. Don’t understand why normally I am wide awake by 6 in the morning but don’t get up until later, just snoozing, but when I have to get up at 6 (to sort boys out before I go etc,) I feel like I could stay in bed all morning!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Today, I spent a pleasant if longish afternoon in the presence of a couple of dozen other 'naughty' drivers.  I was doing penance to avoid 3 points on my otherwise clean license for being caught speeding for the second time in my 50+ year long driving career.

A 'Speed Awareness Course'. :Shock:

I must say that it was quite interesting in many ways.   However, they did concentrate a lot on the effects of speeding in the lower limit areas, such as 20/30/40 mph.  I just don't speed in such areas as common sense says not to, and in any case there's nothing to be gained... unless you want to be first at the next red light...  They showed some pics of situations with limits of 30 mph. where I'd feel uncomfortable at 15 mph.

Also, many years ago I had the trauma of a collision with a young lad of maybe 14 yrs old.  It was definitely not my fault, as I was travelling well below the limit and actually slowing as he shot out from behind a bus on the opposite side.   I couldn't miss him.  He got a broken leg and a slight skull fracture. As you might imagine.. I went sick.  Even when you know you're not being blamed.. you still wonder if you did anything wrong.. or if you should have done something differently.  It's not nice.  It's entirely correct that the main focus should be on the lad and his welfare.. but considering it was his fault.. it might have been nice for someone to ask if I was OK.  That never happened.

I  took a couple of shifts off work.  I got a lot of damage to my car.  I got  no thanks for having decent brakes, and an attempt by his parents to claim from me for not killing him.  I only discovered that months after and was not best pleased.

I was on the  course today because I was caught doing 85 mph in a 70 limit.  On the A50 between Stoke and Nottm.

Obviously, it was 'a fair cop guv' and they had me 'bang to rights'...  No argument there.  I was pretty hacked off with myself because I actually saw, but didn't quite register... the yellow van in the layby, on the A50 between Stoke and the M1 south of Nottm. As soon as I passed it I was pretty sure I'd get 'done'.

But, I don't think I was driving dangerously.

I've travelled that road literally hundreds of times.  From the 50 mph stretch through Stoke... to the M1 Jn South of Nottm., as I recall there are precisely 3 roundabouts, one set of lights and one very short section of 40 mph.  The rest is 70 mph dual carriageway..long visibility..no pedestrians.. no 'built up' bits.. no cycle tracks, no crossroads..  And most of the time it's not even that busy.  It's certainly far less busy ..and challenging.. than 'yer average' motorway.

So.. even though I broke the law and was rightly 'done' for it..  ( Because it's 'the law'.. ) I genuinely believe that my driving at 85 mph on that road in those conditions was far less dangerous than driving at say, 33 mph in a 30 mph limit.

What does the Team think?

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I genuinely believe that my driving at 85 mph on that road in those conditions was far less dangerous than driving at say, 33 mph in a 30 mph limit.

What does the Team think?

On a recent jaunt through eleven countries sur le continong the motorways were very similar to the A50 in style and construction  with speed limits ranging  from 110kmh to unlimited through Germany. 

Accident figures are not dissimilar to ours so whilst speed, where inappropriate, can be major contributory factor, travelling at speed is not in itself dangerous.

The question to ask is whether drivers are skilled enough - in my experience many  think they are better than they are.

I'm admitting nothing on a public forum but I will say I have 'made progress' along the A50 many times without a problem.    ;).