How's your day?

I won't "brake check" anyone, I've watched too many videos of people doing that trick, it's not only highly dangerous but illegal this side of the pond.

I just start slowing down if someone tailgates me, I had one a few months  way too close and I was doing the speed limit, so I eased my foot off the gas, he didn't take the hint until we were doing 15mph in a 50 mph zone, then sanity hit him and he backed off, so I resumed back to 50mph and he kept his distance.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

but ISTM there's a class of young driver for whom that is much more important than looking and anticipating further than the tail lights of the car ahead.

came back from Birmingham yesterday in pouring rain. most noticeable feature was the "Christmas tree" in the outside lane. Car flies past, brakes go on and hair raising gaps between cars. Hate to say it, but some of the best lane discipline (and least need to brake) was on the Autobahn when being driven by family friends between Vienna and Munich. Was it Jeremy Clarkson who claimed to make most of his motorway journeys without much braking?

Assume he means he anticipates well.

10 hours ago, Brew said:

RoSPA and the IAM will do a free assessment for anyone and not just 'old gits'. 

Struggling to find a local one that doesn't charge for the process.

Think it's time I had an objective assessment of my driving ability.

One of the scariest aspects of M'way driving in the UK is that many seem to think they have an obligation to keep up to at least 70 mph whatever the conditions. The numbers barrelling along the outside lane in heavy rain without slowing down at all is beyond belief. I assume they have x-ray vision and superglue tyres.

Thing is.. if you move to the inside lane you risk being run over by an equally invincible wagon driver.

Interesting morning. Went to QMC medical school to register for the Orion4 clinical trial for inclisiran (targets bad cholesterol) - my GP put my name forward. The school is a world removed from the hospital - quiet, intense activity and furnished like a decent hotel. Thought it was just an assessment, but I had my first injection (in the stomach) next one 10th January, and 8 weeks after that, then every 6 months for 5 years.

Dad always said never volunteer for anything.

• Like 2

Rules in most states here are you drive to the conditions, who decides what speed when it's heavy rain, snow or ice??? That feller driving the car with red and blue lights and a siren!! 

I remember going to northern Montana 20 years back to view a property and make an offer on it. Montana at that time had no speed limits on rural hwy's or freeways, other than dusk to dawn and poor weather. Dusk to dawn speeds were posted, foul weather, use common sense and good judgement.

I found 80mph was fast enough for me, but locals were flying past me as if I was standing still.

Once over the state line it was down to 70mph, set the cruise control and relax.

2 hours ago, oldphil said:

Struggling to find a local one that doesn't charge for the process.

Think it's time I had an objective assessment of my driving ability.

oldphil...

There is  an IAM group that meets at Riverside retail park, you can book a free taster session here:

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaign-pages/end-customer-campaigns/drivefree. 

The RoSPA group meet at Brinsley. They offer a free assessment drive for both cars and motorcycles, with no obligation.

http://www.nottinghamforesters.co.uk/Index.html

10 hours ago, oldphil said:

Interesting morning. Went to QMC medical school to register for the Orion4 clinical trial for inclisiran (targets bad cholesterol) - my GP put my name forward. The school is a world removed from the hospital - quiet, intense activity and furnished like a decent hotel. Thought it was just an assessment, but I had my first injection (in the stomach) next one 10th January, and 8 weeks after that, then every 6 months for 5 years.

Dad always said never volunteer for anything.

I've got an invite for that trial sitting on my PC desk in front of me.  I get a lot of similar things.  I only went for one.. organised by Synexus.. and I wasn't impressed.

I must say this one seems better organised.. but I've had so much stuff going on lately that I decided to pass.

19 hours ago, Brew said:

oldphil...

There is  an IAM group that meets at Riverside retail park, you can book a free taster session here:

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaign-pages/end-customer-campaigns/drivefree. 

The RoSPA group meet at Brinsley. They offer a free assessment drive for both cars and motorcycles, with no obligation.

http://www.nottinghamforesters.co.uk/Index.html

Thanks for that - I'm giving it a go

Well what can one say?

The other day master and myself were in the car, master was driving whilst try to park, another car was cutting along masters parking space so being a gent he tried to move out of  her way.  Well!!! what a noise of metal crunching, he had only gone into a metal barrier, did you not see that barrier i said, must admit i did not see it or know it was there, any way (Glad it was not ME) but i had to sort it out, we had to have a new door fitted, telephone rang 4 days later car was ready to pick up, went to pick car up and checked the new door, wow what a good job Antony from Pye Bridge had done, thanks Antony you would not know that was a new door,  just a minute said Antony it's the door round the other side, well didn't I feel a fool what can one say (it's a age thing)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Today I have mostly been playing with a new Android tablet. 

My old one was a very cheap 'unbranded' Chinese jobby.  It sort of worked but was more than a bit 'flakey'.  For a long time I hardly bothered with it at all.. but it came into its own used with the App needed to control my Innuos Music Server.  Except that to do that.. it needed to connect via Wi-Fi.  It started failing to do so ..sometimes needing to be re-set, switched on and off and thrown at the wall a few times to get it to work...

I began investigating possible replacements and naturally it then started to behave itself.. until a couple of days ago when... Mrs Col complained that I had left the tablet on the floor... exactly where I've been leaving it for years...not on the floor.. but just under a coffee table..  Oddly.. the tablet now has a cracked screen. It wasn't me.. but I have narrowed the suspects down to ...  A.. Mrs Col..... or  B .... A very heavy and clumsy house fly...

Eitherway, I needed a new Tablet... So today I bought a Samsung Tab A.  It is very far from being the pinnacle of Android Tablets.. but it's more than adequate for my needs and beautifully made.

Recommended.. 

Also tonight I converted a Marianne Faithfull album on vinyl to digital and added it to my music server.  Like a lot of young lads way back.... I was rather taken by Ms Faithfull .. but not by her music.  Her 60's output remains rather patchy... but she was far, far better than I gave her credit for back then.

• Upvote 1

Today looks like it may actually not rain.  A good day for putting assorted bulbs into containers.

So, yesterday I planted up 70 tulip bulbs across two containers and another full of white narcissus.. or narcissi?

The hardest bit is mixing up the compost.  I mix about 3 parts potting compost with 1 part grit and a few handfuls of 'farmyard manure'.. of the variety purchased in bags.  The rest is up to the bulbs.

Apart from a bit of a tidy up. I usually don't do much in the garden from Sept.. until things start happening in the spring.  This year I'm making a concerted effort to get things organised from now onward, so there's much less tidying and stuff to do in the spring.

• Upvote 1

I need to walk to help my back to get stronger, I got into a routine and felt good but this rain has put a damper on it and now the snow:angry2:

This means I go walk about in the house or go across to my daughters and walk on the treadmill. That seems to be the correct thing to do but I'm not sure I can climb the stairs. I can't climb into the car without pain. Roll on Monday when I have a checkup again in Turin. Oh well...let's see if I can find some hidden corners of the house to appreciate.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:09 PM, DJ360 said:

Today looks like it may actually not rain.  A good day for putting assorted bulbs into containers.

I too have 75 spring bulbs to plant in containers but at the moment it's just not going to happen. I can't do it and everyone is too busy to buy the compost and plant them.

• Like 1

Our rescue Jack Russel arrived yesterday -  lovely little chap named Patch. We have never seen the cats move so fast! He turned out to be a good dog to walk. Quite affable with other dogs and owners (a lot of dog walker here) and good fun. He slept in his new bed after being shooed from ours. The cats returned overnight but this morning, as soon as they heard Patch coming down stairs they were off at high speed. They went through the cat flap so fast that they smashed it! I hope that one of them is not injured. The acrylic flap was smashed in half and the edges are quite sharp.

• Upvote 1