DJ360

How's your day?

3 hours ago, Beekay said:

Neither can I. Sorry.

3 hours ago, MargieH said:

Col, I can't open the link on your last post..... 

Ok folks.  I'll try again.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOi_4-7G_XtaxbhMU692GVz4whfrfOaSFERQhoq

How's that?

I've spoken to my brother and the sign is at the site of the old crossing between the end of Southglade Rd. and Hucknall Rd.

Not working for me Col,just keep getting the 404 error not found thingy

Rog

Does the link go blue if you hover over it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KdkMToFry1jZuipN9

Any better?

Anyway, the point is that someone has erected a sign at the former railway crossing near Gala Bingo/Southglade Road. One blue sign points to Southglade Sports Centre, the other to Hucknall.  That's fair enough.  Then below are two brown signs. One says 'The Railway line was dismantled sometime between 1940 and 1960.' , which is rubbish. At least a part of the line was still connecting Rigleys Engineering works to the BR network via Moorbridge until 1966. The other says 'The line ran for 6 miles from Daybrook to Newstead.  Which is also rubbish.

The thing is Nottingham is home to one of the biggest sellers of books on railway history (Book Law Publications.. in Carlton I think.), who could quite possibly provide the correct info 'off the top of their heads'  Additionally, numerous enthusiasts, quite possibly including our own Fly could well recite the details to the exact day, if not the hour.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Got it now Col,thanks

Rog

And another thing!!  I know that the track wasn't fully removed until sometime around 1968/9, because I tripped over a rail or an old rail 'shoe' one night when rushing over the crossing to get down to the 360 Club for a DJ in session.

3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Just looked it up BK,The Tattershall Castle is now a floating pub on the River Thames Victoria Embankment

Rog

Gotta admire your perseverance Rog. B.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

someone has erected a sign at the former railway crossing near Gala Bingo/Southglade Road. One blue sign points to Southglade Sports Centre, the other to Hucknall.  That's fair enough.  Then below are two brown signs. One says 'The Railway line was dismantled sometime between 1940 and 1960.' , which is rubbish. At least a part of the line was still connecting Rigleys Engineering works to the BR network via Moorbridge until 1966. The other says 'The line ran for 6 miles from Daybrook to Newstead.  Which is also rubbish.

We're always warned about not believing everything you read in the internet, I didn't expect it to include road signs. I'll never approach a junction with confidence again.

I assume you need council permission to put up such signs. I wonder how it was approved, and if anyone at the council checked it factually. On that basis, you could apply to put a sign deliberately pointing people in the wrong direction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Gotta admire your perseverance

Took notice of the information when I saw it BK because I worked at Tattershall quarry,so just persued the link

Rog

Had me hands in a David Brown nearly all day.. helping hand capicity...running lovely now..drove home from County Claire..bleddy council and europe electons all over the hoppit! Glad i don't vote..having a chinky and drinking cheap Baron from the bottle...can take a man out of Bulwell......

• Like 1

David Brown 885

P1050760.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

The very same Rog..thank you..Dave then said..

"I've got this Zetor ian..giving me problems"...quick exit!

Made in the Czech republic Zetors I think,every thing loose on them things,steering,gears,axles and the gap between piston and liner

Zetor 3011

plough_match_007.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Totally Rog...this bloke has 30 tractors and 21 classics. His first David though..he sold me the Wolseley two years ago...he has a Singer Vogue..tatty but full of character..."wifey she ses' no".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, plantfit said:

David Brown 885

P1050760.jpg

Rog

Llandudno Rog ?

• Like 2

Seeing the old tractor pictures from Rog reminds me that I usually exhibit my 1952 Grey Fergie as an attraction in our hay meadow at the biennial 'open gardens' coming up soon. It's been outside under its tailored cover for two years and I know it requires a battery and a new mechanical starter switch. It's always good to see the 'old boys' climb aboard, with some difficulty, and reminisce about the old days. Being low technology, but mechanically quite brilliantly designed by Harry Ferguson, I guarantee it will start first time. The starter is selected by a particular movement of the gearstick so it's impossible to start it in gear. I feel a project coming on! If you want to see old tractors go to Hoveringham tomorrow.

• Like 2

Spot on Mick,two year ago,some sort of rally around the town.don't know what it was in aid of but great to see a load of old tractors

One for Phil, Grey Fergie with a cab

Grey_Fergie_(1).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Here's one for you Ian, last year at the charity tractor run in aid of the Lancaster memorial on the Notts/Lincs border

P1060977.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Great little workhorse..and with a back box makes a day a pleasure..funny thing though i walked off a job when using a 35..foot & mouth period..2000?

• Like 1

The grey Fergie with the cab was one of many of the Harry Ferguson adoptions. There were innumerable tools and extras for every conceivable task. The tractor in the the picture is TEF model being a diesel. The TED model I have is a petrol/paraffin model where the engine was started on petrol and then switched over to the much cheaper paraffin for the day’s work which used a full tank. The engine had a very low compression ratio and was the same basic unit as used in the Standard Vanguard car. Not sure why the diesel was TEF and the petrol was TED but will have the info somewhere.

• Like 1

Good bit of info there Phil,sommat else for me to investigate now

Rog

When I wrote paraffin I actually meant TVO, tractor vapourising oil. This was basically paraffin with the addition of a few extra ingredients to raise the flash point. A bit of a witches' brew actually!

• Like 1

The old ice cream vans with the engine at the back used to run on TVO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't know much about tractors, but I have an abiding memory of Jarve Goddard using one when he was still actively managing the two fields opposite Southglade Road. That would probably be around 1952-4. What sticks in my mind is being fascinated by what I suppose was some sort of 'sight glass' attached to the side of the engine. Right side as seen from the driving seat I think.  In my memory it seemed to be filled with a greenish coloured liquid.  Oil?

I thought agricultural diesel was red?  Maybe somebody here knows.

Den, I thought the ice cream vans ran on paraffin whilst doing business. On Mr Softee's, they were started on petrol, then after about five minutes, we'd switch over to the other fuel, which I'm certain was paraffin. Then at night, before shutting down, I'd switch back to petrol for five minutes in order to fill the system, else it wouldn't start next morning.

I might be mistaken, as it was over 50 years ago !

• Like 1