DJ360

How's your day?

3 hours ago, jonab said:

999€ for the Zenmini? Blimey!!!

Exactly my thoughts....

• Like 1

I have given up on Exact Audio Copy.  I used to use it to copy CD-RWs made from vinyl transfers on my Yamaha CD recorder.. as it meant I could use ordinary CDRs.. which cost nowt.. rather than the CD-R 'Music' ones which are the only ones which work in the CDR  (Serial copy management.. music industry levies.. etc.) But EAC has stopped working for me, despite installing the latest version etc.

Anyway.  The Innuos has a fab reputation for the solidity and ease of use of its internal software etc.  So, I've downloaded the Orange Squeeze app from Google Play, to an old cheap tablet.  That will be the controller.  I even had to google 'how to pay for an app', because I've never downloaded a 'paid' app before.  Sorted it after a bit of a faff.  It immediately started looking for a server to link to.. but it will have to wairt a bit.

Just given my hi-fi rack a clean.. evicted a few spiders etc.  So I'm about to connect everything.

All this business of music servers, streamers, control apps and so on is a mystery to me, but I'm getting there.

The Zen Mini has it's own DAC, which by repute is pretty good, but once up and running I'll compare it to my trusty Benchmark DAC1 via the Zen's co-ax, and optical digital outputs.  If the Benchmark doesn't beat the Zen's own DAC, it can probably go on eBay.  Still worth a few quid I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Exactly my thoughts....

3 hours ago, jonab said:

999€ for the Zenmini? Blimey!!!

Actually £995.. so a veritable steal.... :)

Thing is as I said above I've been dancing around this stuff for years and decided to take the plunge with a simple, reliable solution to transferring all my CDs to a server.  Can't be doing with assorted other methods.  This one, as everyone says.. 'just works'.

And after a couple of minutes installing the Zen, updating to latest software etc.. I just fed it a couple of CDs which it 'auto rips' and all the info/metadata appears as if by magic on my Tablet... which will then replay it after a single 'tap'.

Isn't 'stupid tech' wonderful?  :)

• Like 1

Just got back from a walk with the boys to Wollaton Hall. Boys both fast asleep now, bit of a sensory overload for them I think, they didn’t know where to look or sniff, made a new friend Winnie the very attractive boxer (think Wolf asked her for a date he was very interested in her). I haven't been there for years, we used to bike there regularly when we were kids. Had a walk round the lake, with watering stops for boys and so we could sit down and have a ice lolly (us not the boys). 

There are are some beautiful large stags there , they were laying under the trees in the area that is partly fenced off. They are really beautiful deer (think they will be the red deer) and some of the antlers were amazing. All in all very enjoyable.

There were 2 things that we noticed. There are big notices all over the deer enclosure telling you to keep at least 50m away from the deer (isn’t that about the length of a swimming bath), but there were people all round where the stags were lying within a few feet taking pictures etc some of them even had young toddlers. There were also young kids running around, one of the deer was obviously a bit spooked and was running around. Surely your common sense would tell you it was a bit close especially with kids, they are after all a wild animal and they are big.

Secondly there are notices telling you to keep dogs on a lead, my 2 are on flexi leads so can have a bit of freedom to do their doggy things but are still under control. But there were a lot of dogs running free. (Winnie was on a flexi lead as well which allowed mutual doggy greetings.) I know this is a bit of a bugbear with me, but it only takes a few unthoughtful dog owners to get us all tarred with the same brush.

Anyway it was a thoroughly enjoyable walk, boys enjoyed it and now I am going to join them in a nap!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Stupid people StavGirl.  So many times the public have been told to keep well away from the deer, I’ve seen it mentioned in the local papers and on the TV, I honestly think that some idiots don’t believe the warnings are directed at them.   

• Upvote 2

The reaction would be " Rules are meant to be broken"

It's the same at the Grand Canyon. Fences along the rim, and some idiot will climb over to be near the edge for a better view. I don't mind these idiots doing this, fall at your own risk, but some take their kids with them. What are they teaching them? 

Same in the Rockies in Canada.  You come around a curve and here's a bunch of cars stopped halfway into the lane.  After you've managed to brake without hitting somebody,  you see a bunch of idjits tossing cookies to a big black bear.  Little do they seem to realize that if that bear runs out of cookies he could easily nail somebody.  Never ceases to amaze.

It was on the local news last year about a stupid youth who was in Wollaton Park hugging a deer that was sitting peacefully.

One swing of its neck, and it's antlers could have ripped his eyes / throat  / guts out ! 

19 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Stupid people StavGirl.  So many times the public have been told to keep well away from the deer, I’ve seen it mentioned in the local papers and on the TV, I honestly think that some idiots don’t believe the warnings are directed at them.   

I think it's simpler than that. They do not see or hear the warnings. Those types of idiots don't watch or listen to News, or read papers.  Many can't read, or can only do so while moving their lips.  Reading.. of anything.. is something they only do if forced to. They live in a parallel world.

Becoming to think catching lizards is going to be my "favourite" pastime. Caught another two this morning on the wall next to the freezer. Knocked them down again into the ice box and thought " thats the way to do it" . Its easier than searching under and inside the bed. I don't know where they are coming from. The other day coming through the front door I saw a quick movement and thought it was another baby lizard but my daughter saw it later and told me it was a tiny mouse. It had disappeared into a space so narrow between the edge of the skirting board and the corner when the door is closed. We sat on the stairs waiting for it to emerge. It did a couple of times but soon shot back. At the end I got a small piece of broken tile , put glue on it and went away. We 've not seen it since so think it must have sneaked out when we weren't there. Don't mind lizards but mice , no, however tiny.

Col's right. We do tend to look on other people to be similar to ourselves; relatively normal, rational people. Many are not. There are some complete dimbos our there. They obviously have mental problems and we should have sympathy for them.  

14 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Ah, the Darwinian death theory. Stops the idiots passing their genes on.

This one from the Darwin Awards website definitely could not pass his genes on

(27 Nov 2018, Arizona) The Buckeye Police Department reports that a man accidentally shot his own sausage while shopping in the meat aisle at Walmart. Arizona law does not require a permit (nor a holster for that matter) to carry a firearm, so our hero felt free to carry his piece "commando-style" (unholstered) beneath his waistband. When the unholstered gun drifted down into his jeans, he reached in and pulled the trigger while repositioning his weapon. This loose cannon's low hanging fruit didn’t have a chance. Firearm supporters can add this event to the arsenal of ammunition against gun control. Guns really do make a difference.

• Like 3

Phil, Some other puns from the site are :-

"So he went off half-cocked?" -J.Petry
"After this he will be definitely shooting blanks." -I.Titi
"His barrel was shortened that day." -A.Yuan
"Friends call him 'snubnose' now."
"He's not half the man he used to be." -D.Webb
"Clean up on Aisle 4." -M.Miller

Just to clarify, we're not all eejits in Arizona!

Kath every country has one

Well, Mrs Compo comes back today. I've had a wonderful week of peace and quiet on my own - it's been great but whatever you do don't tell her!  Over the course of the week I have managed to trim all the hedges, all the grass, prune a big scyamore tree, sow poppies iin the local hedgerows, collect Parasol mushrooms in the local woods, remove part of a knuckle witih the petrol powered hedge cutter and almost break my shin whilst stamping on the stepladder to make it secure in the ground (I missed and shinned it into the ground). I've enjoyed a few pints in 'Spoons, organized a new sim  for my phone, vacuumed and done the washing and shopping.  I have also made an internal reducer for my home-made Pullman style bread tin, Got stuck on the sit-on mower by reversing into a fence and jamming my steel toecapped welly between fence and mower pedal and repaired the fuel lines on the peetrol hedge cutter. All-in-all a pleasant week.

• Like 2

Very busy week Compo but by the sound of it I think you need supervising. LOL :rolleyes:

You could be right there, Sue! :crazy:

Back to the doc's this afternoon for a different blood pressure med.  Hopefully the new one will have less side effects than the previous ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1