DJ360

How's your day?

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Proper old person's car isn't it?:(

Not when I drove it smile2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Just checking it out. It doesn't get very good reviews in the motoring press - 6/10, 3/5 - that sort of thing. Not a keen driver's car, just a means of getting from A to B without too much excitement!

At your time of life Phil its a dangerous thing excitementsmile2

5 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Italian drivers! I was once a passenger in a Maserati in Italy that was stopped for speeding. The car had Swiss plates and the driver showed his New Jersey driver's licence. The policeman just shrugged and waved us on! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

At your time of life Phil its a dangerous thing excitementsmile2

I've had all the excitement I shall ever need!

• Like 1

My husband prefers a bigger car but theres only us two now and we dont go far. He had Mitsubishi Space Star and he ran it til it wouldn't run any more. Our local mechanic said it was one of the most reliable makes on the road. In fact there was little wrong with it. I have the newer version and I' m pleased with it. Its no use having big and status symbol  cars here with the roads as they are. More holes than road.

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Italian drivers! I was once a passenger in a Maserati in Italy that was stopped for speeding. The car had Swiss plates and the driver showed his New Jersey driver's licence. The policeman just shrugged and waved us on! 

That happened to us years ago travelling from UK to here. International driving license he didnt understand it and we got into conversation with him and he let us go on our merry way. Doesn't help now as we have had to change our driving licenses.

My wife's had reliable Mitsubishi Shoguns for many years until recently. When I used to go to Italy everyone seemed to drive Fiats. Ferraris and Lambos were a very rare sight. You see more in London than Milan!

Herself has had two Micras, utterly reliable if a little boring.

2 hours ago, denshaw said:

The new Micra is a nice looking car, I was tempted but a bit too small.

The car too small....or you too small for it ?

• Like 1

The cars too small, couldn't get my 8 grandkids in it.

Was at the local Walk in Centre early for more blood tests.

Later, if it stops raining for more than about 20 minutes, I may have another try at cutting the grass.

Life on the edge eh?  :laugh:

22 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Reminded me of this Nonna:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bit of blue sky.  Difficult to say how much as I don't have a telescope with a micrometer attached.. but I might get the mower out.....

My mother-in-law, who worked in tailoring, always said when a bit of blue sky appeared, is there enough to make a pair of trousers?

• Like 2

Well I could make lots of grey trousers today (if I had the tailoring skills) but I fancy a nice blue pair! :biggrin:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Well I could make lots of grey trousers today (if I had the tailoring skills) but I fancy a nice blue pair! :biggrin:

With a nice pink cravat Phil ?  :ph34r:

Whatever tickles your fancy, honky Tonk  !

IMG-20190527-165947.jpg

• Like 1

Sailors trousers Kath !

Plenty of sunshine then?

On and off all day here, but chilly.

Freezing here, but I just got the back grass done.  Definitely need to look into getting a bigger patio and a smaller lawn...

Would have laid a new patio mesen a few years back..  But I'm flagging a bit these days....  ;)

Right.  Just about to get ready for a day out in Liverpool/Cavern Club/Hole in the Wall/Crocodile or wherever, with Daz and Picko from Boowul.  This might feature alcohol.. my first since Sunday.

Re-posting the whole thing.  Photo link is working for me. Sorry for the double post but the one above took so long it wouldn't let me edit.

Out in Cavern Club Liverpool yesterday with Picko and Daz from Boowul.  Picko's 71st Birthday.

L-R  front. George, joint Cavern owner. Tony Coburn (Cavern Club Beatles) and Daz( Well known Boowellian and long time friend)

L-R rear, Picko, old mate for 50+ years  and yours truly.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP_D1v3KqfT762w948ySRFeWry5XplQI1USybGk

Funny day all round.  Got drowned going for the bus to St Helens.  Train to Liverpool was late.

Meantime Picko/Daz are texting me to say their train has died and they have to swap to a local service between Manchester and Liverpool.  It takes forever.

Next up Tony Coburn is texting.  'What time you getting here Col?  I tell him I won't be long.  1:00pm ish... but Dave is delayed.Does he want to meet somewhere before Cavern? 

"I can't"  says Tony.  "Only just woke up and due on stage at 1:00 pm.. See you in Cavern"

" OK Tony.  You know it's Dave's Birthday?" 

" What.. today?"

"Yep"

"OK, I'll sort it."

I decide to take the underground from Lime Street to James St as the walk to Cavern is then shorter.  Emerge from James Street just in time to get drowned again on the short walk to the Cavern.

Into the Cavern.  It's busy.  Lots of people in Liverpool for a Take That concert in the evening, plus the usual tourists. 

Tony not there yet so I get a pint (first since Sunday) and spend some time chatting to a Californian chap who keeps on saying . " This place is sooooo Cooool!!"

Next up George, joint owner appears.  " Hiya Col.. How are you?  Good to see you.. Is Dave (Picko) with you? I hear it's his Birthday." ( I'm guessing Tony has called George to say he's late and on his way and also mentioned Dave's Birthday)

I explain that Dave is delayed and George says he'll 'Have a drink with us later'  I kind of know from experience what that means....

Tony arrives, out of breath.  Does he want a drink?  "Please Col but I'll have to get set up and onstage quick." He disappears into the dressing room and shortly after I can see from the monitor by the bar that he's onstage. I take his drink to him and go back to the bar.

Shortly after, Dave and Daz arrive, cursing East Midlands Rail ... and we watch Tony's set.

Dave goes for the next round and comes back grinning.  "This one's on Franny".  Franny is the sort of General Manager and like all Cavern staff, a very friendly chap. George has told him we are in and he's 'put one behind the bar' for us, though we've not actually seen him as he's busy in his office.

Tony joins us at the bar for his 'interval' and more beer flows. It's apparently all 'on' George.

Finally Tony finishes his set and we all assemble at the bar, joined by George. Franny whizzes past , shouts happy birthday to Dave but can't stop. he's busy. We're also joined by Bill, the Cavern Purchasing Manager.

It's already getting a bit hazy and it gets more so.

The basic plot is that every time anyone gets close to finishing a pint, another round appears and that everytime anybody tries to buy a round, they are told in no uncertain terms that George is 'In the chair'.  I can't keep up.

Dave and Daz decide they are staying till later than usual because they were delayed arriving.  I decide. I've had more than enough, say my goodbyes, thank Goerge for his hospitality and generosity, and stumble out into daylight. It's a bit after 6:00 pm.

I get a train and fight to stay awake.  For the first time ever, I fail, and wake up just as the train is leaving Euxton 'Balshaw Lane'.  Oops.  I've gone through St Helens and Wigan and am halfway to Blackpool.  I have a text from Mrs Col.  "You nearly home?"

I call her and confess my sins and tell here I'll be back at St Helens in about 20 minutes.

I jump the next train back.  It's a beautiful evening.

Just outside St Helens, the train stops and we're told it can't get into the station due to a 'failed train' ahead.

I stand by a locked door, next to a platform for at least ten minutes before some bloke finally comes along and lets us off the train, sayng we'll all have to move to the front.  Not me says I.. I just want to get off this station.  He doesn't reply.

Mrs Col is waiting outside and drives me home.  Via the Chinese takeaway.  :)

A little later, I hear from Picko and DAz that they are back in Boowul and having a 'nightcap' (three more pints) in Boowul Wethies.

Now that's what I call a day out.  :rotfl:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You must have a Google account, anyone who doesn't not can't see the pics