DJ360

How's your day?

Just had my first proper venture into Kirkby,,its all changed since my days here,,definitely no signs of a Jewish population,, or any other ethnics so far as i could see,,

Found the Wetherspoons used to be a picture house,,nice big place,,i had ham n eggs with my espresso,,i started training the staff,,Barman gave me huge great mug for my espresso,,got nowt smaller says he,,pointed out a small glass would be nice,,so first step in Kirkby going quite Continental,,could see a couple of locals eyeing this stranger in town and having a mumble,, got me Espresso and told them "cheers" they'll get used to me,, 

Also saw the Cricketing statues,,Larwood,,Voce and Bradman,,erected in 2002,,nice touch i thought,, each had a plaque adjacent with a quote,,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, denshaw said:

Have they got electricity yet in Kirkby?

Yeah but the locals still only put the lights on so they can find the matches for the candles...

• Like 5

Loppy and Oz...

I appreciate that your spiders are a bit of a different case from the ones here in the U.K.  But seeing as I'm extremely unlikely now to visit either of your two countries *  I'm not too worried....

*. Our passports expired last year

I liked the little song about the spider on the toilet seat btw

• Like 1

They seem to especially hate ex Nottinghamians, Margie.  Don't even start me on Ticks.  Going to the docs tomorrow.  Been weak on balance.  Could be the bp meds, but I think I need to get tested for Lyme disease as well.  I've had more than my share of Tick bites this summer.  Btw. they are an Arachnid, eight legged little parasites.

39 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just had my first proper venture into Kirkby,,

I've had to look at Google to find out where Kirkby is. I didn't realise there was anything north of Hucknall.

(I assume you're not in the one on the outskirts of Liverpool).

• Like 1

One of our cats got a tick once, but I don't walk through long grass or undergrowth these days, so I'll  probably be alright!

hope you haven't got Lyme disease , Loppy x

• Like 1

Think the Liverpool one is Kirby,, did a couple of jobs there,, you'll be surprised to know Cliff ton,,  lol

Edit sorry cliff ton you're right it is Kirkby,,its just that the scousers pronounce it Kirby. 

I like Liverpool as a whole,,however in Kirby or Kirkby it was a little different,,

I've been threatened (par for the course as a SD) in just about every city in the country,,but in Kirkby i was threatened while just doing interviews,,

I remember a fun gang of girls that used to come down to Nottingham from Kirkby one was known as "The Kirkby Gobbler" I believe she's still quite a legend up their?

• Like 1

Give her, me, me brother, me cousin Martin & me mate Kev, well most of the Radford lads, our love, if you bump into her! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

I like Liverpool as a whole,,however in Kirby or Kirkby it was a little different,,

I've been threatened (par for the course as a SD) in just about every city in the country,,but in Kirkby i was threatened while just doing interviews,,

My wife did her teacher training back in the 60's at Kirkby Fields College in Liverpool. I think the college used to be a military base as it was surrounded by a high wire fence and walls. It needed to be! Kirkby itself was a real s***t hole of a council estate back then!

A friend and former colleague of mine did her teacher training in the same place. It was rough indeed!

Did part of my teaching practice in Whitby at a time when the old fishing community was still alive and kicking. The grandmas were extremely fearsome! The lengths they went to to protect their grandsons had to be seen to be believed. The granddaughters, on the other hand, were regarded as worthless.  

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just had my first proper venture into Kirkby,,its all changed since my days here,,definitely no signs of a Jewish population,, or any other ethnics so far as i could see,,

Found the Wetherspoons used to be a picture house,,nice big place

Bottom of Diamond Avenue, if I'm not wrong. Right next to the worst set of traffic lights in the UK. Let half a vehicle through every 30 minutes! Avoid like the plague!

The rest of Kirkby has been either pedestrianised or converted to charity shops.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

A friend and former colleague of mine did her teacher training in the same place. It was rough indeed!

Did part of my teaching practice in Whitby at a time when the old fishing community was still alive and kicking. The grandmas were extremely fearsome! The lengths they went to to protect their grandsons had to be seen to be believed. The granddaughters, on the other hand, were regarded as worthless.  

Teaching miner's children in Rainworth was a doddle after being in Liverpool!

Thats right Jill,,its called the Regent,,

That junction was always ok,,before they made it no entry on the right coming down Diamond avenue,,

SG was enjoying reading your post not a fan of spiders myself but when I came to the part where the dog wandered in .....I burst out laughing made my day. Unfortunately nobody else around so my two think I'm crazy.

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Teaching miner's children in Rainworth was a doddle after being in Liverpool!

Which school did you teach at in Rennuth?

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My wife did her teacher training back in the 60's at Kirkby Fields College in Liverpool. I think the college used to be a military base as it was surrounded by a high wire fence and walls. It needed to be! Kirkby itself was a real s***t hole of a council estate back then!

I was fascinated by this.  I'd never heard of Kirkby Fields, and neither had Mrs Col.. who is a Scouser.  Even more strange as I did a lot of work towards the end of my Careers Guidance career, in Knowsley College, which had campuses in Kirkby and Huyton.  Incidentally, the 'scouse' pronunciation of Kirkby, has a silent second 'k'.

A quick Google brought up this:  https://www.kirkbyites.net/Nation-makerswithouta peer.htm

And this:  https://kirkbyites5254.blogspot.com/

Which appears to show that 'Kirkby Fields' was originally an 'emergency teacher training college', which ran courses for Malaysians just after WW2 and was located on a 'former munitions factory site'.

There was certainly such a place during WW2, and Mrs Col's Dad worked there as a Security Guard.  Apparently the Germans never had a clue as to its existence and thus never tried to bomb it. As far as I can tell, it was in the area now usually known as 'Kirkby Admin', .. a collection of old single story buildings on the southern edge of Kirkby Industrial Estate, though I'm open to correction on this.  It was some way from the site of the later 'Kirkby College', which was part of Knowsley College, but as far as I know was basically destroyed under the expert guidance of one Michael Gove....

Around here:  https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4728347,-2.85539,170m/data=!3m1!1e3

Maybe...

I haven't visited Kirkby for about 10 years.  I may do so just to see what's what.

It is also famous as the notional basis for 'Z Cars' in the 1960s.  A sprawling series of mostly pretty peaceful 'council' estates, which are no better nor worse than say, Bestwood, Bulwell, or Clifton.

I allus thought that the scouse pronounciation of Kirkby was   "er Keerby'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My wife taught at Python Hill Junior.

What years? The Leader of the Opposition went there. PM if you like