DJ360

How's your day?

Thanks for the link, Phil.  I've sent it to my bro, but he's not too well at the moment so may not follow it up

Good day today,,breakfast in Morrisons Kirkby with Donna,,then one of my sons got us back on the Internet,, 

Visit to Docs in Bulwell,, need some blood tests as per normal,,moving to Docs in kirkby,,so thanked all the ladies that work reception for the way they have treated me over the years,,obviously lots of tears,but they'll get over me eventually,, 

Spent the afternoon playing great romantic music from the 60s and 70s,,even had a good dance with my little woman,,best of all we laughed at each other,,with crazy memories,,gonna have a drink now,, cheers y'all,,

• Like 5

I've just read a few pages of the He Ray Mellish magazines and found my brother's name in the new arrivals (Christmas 1947) also when he was involved with rowing.   He was apparently the Secretary in 1953 and he wrote a short account in the magazine.   

I also noted there was a cox by the name of P J Mayfield in later years..... wonder who that could be!

• Upvote 1

Yes, that’s me. There’s also a reference to our crew winning the Butcher Cup. My miniature trophy still sits gleaming on my study shelf. The only trophy I ever won!

On 7/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, FLY2 said:

Llangollen is ok, so is Machynlleth. Good B & B's too.

I have been looking at Llangollen but can't find out if it is 'hilly' it seems a lovely place but we need to be on the flat as much as possible. I have booked a break in Whitehaven (thank you Ben) lots of nice places near to it. Thank you all for advice and ideas, as soon as the sun comes out they are on the move I tell them I'm getting old but they don't listen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, philmayfield said:

I should have said RUMMICUBS

Doesn't matter that you got it wrong, I've never heard of that one either.

Looked it up and it seems it is a cross between rummy and mah-jong.

The simple country folk round here practice ancient black arts. Its probably some fertility rite to encourage growth. There's certainly a fine crop of maize in the field over the lane. Don't suppose a few cobs will be missed.

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

There's certainly a fine crop of maize in the field over the lane. Don't suppose a few cobs will be missed.

Corn on the cob on the BBQ with lashings of salted butter dripping down yer chin ……..  yummo!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well I'm just looking at 25 acres of it from my landing window. It's only a relatively recent crop around here. It's generally beet for Newark sugar factory, potatoes for Walker's crisps, barley for the breweries and oilseed rape. I did see a field of blue flax nearby last week which looked most attractive.

Opposite platform, level crossing and front of house grass cut; spinach sown and peas transplanted. Time for a shower and a pint at Wetherspoons.........

• Like 1

As thee got a Wetherspoons  in Caithness Compo ?  :hungr:

Had one for 13yrs Beekay. Nearly lost it this year - they planned to close but relented after several months of uncertainty.

Had our regular visit to Bonington Theatre tonight to watch a film. This time around, “Yesterday”. Really good film, I can recommend it.

As we left the cinema, caught up with phone messages and found out that our daughter had won nearly £1200 at the bingo! 

Must remember to put her board up.

• Like 1

Haven't been for a walk for a couple of months.  Really not like me, but what with all the stuff going on with the 'itch', redecorating and so on... not to mention a sore knee..

Anyway, Sunday afternoon I finally decided to get off my butt and do a short walk.  Up out of the estate, along a farm track, out onto the fields, down between the crops to the little bridge over the brook, back along the brook and out onto the road through the houses and back home.  Probably less than a mile, but a start.

It was overcast, but warm. The views out across the fields, even without going far up 'the hill', were a delight.

What grabbed me mostly though, was the lushness of the vegetation alongside the fields, and especially along the brook.  Everything was a lot denser and higher than I recall before.  Assorted daisies and clovers, which I'd need to look up to identify, 'Great Willow Herb' which I've not really seen before in any quantity.  Ground Elder with pinkish 'umbels', Persicaria, Bindweed, Buttercups etc.  Sadly also far too much Indian Balsam.. which seems to be taking over everywhere.

Nice little walk though.  I'll try to do another tomorrow.. but if the promised sunshine appears, I may leave it until late in the day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

Had our regular visit to Bonington Theatre tonight to watch a film. This time around, “Yesterday”. Really good film, I can recommend it.

As we left the cinema, caught up with phone messages and found out that our daughter had won nearly £1200 at the bingo! 

Must remember to put her board up.

Would that be Gala  Top Valley?  (Which is misnamed, because it's not in Top Valley)

Anyway.. good luck to her..

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:36 AM, benjamin1945 said:

,breakfast in Morrisons Kirkby

Hi Ben, is Morrisons in the old Regent Cinema on Diamond Avenue, on the opposite corner was the Nags Head.

When I worked in Kirkby in the seventies often used to pop over the road to The Railway Inn (a Mansfield house) for a swift pint and a pasty at lunch time.

Alas the Railway Inn is long gone now an Aldi.

• Like 1

EY-UP OZ,,      Regent Cinema is the wetherspoons,,Morrisons is where the car park was for the precinct,,,Precinct gone,,i used to work in there for Savemore (marsdens),,,Nags head still there,,,i find it hard to visulise where everything used to be,,,

You would like the Cricketing tribute statues,, very large things,,Larwood bowling,,Voce fielding at short mid-off and Bradman batting,,

• Like 1

Yes I would, brilliant, the days when the England selectors used to shout down the shaft at Annesley pit and up would pop another fast bowler

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

And what's he wearing CT? Looks like a refugee from Guantanamo bay.  :ph34r:

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Would that be Gala  Top Valley?  (Which is misnamed, because it's not in Top Valley)

Anyway.. good luck to her..

Slightly more up market than TV. This one is in Beeston.

Ohh right..  Only very slightly then.... ;)

The so-called Top Valley, is on the corner of what was one of Jarve Goddard's fields, belonging to Southglade Farm. Also, the closest road to it, even after Gala Way was built, is Southglade Rd.  Top Valley, or Topvalley Farm was further North and East. So it would have been more accurate to call it Gala Southglade.

• Like 1

I committed a faux pas today. I was at the ‘ethnic’ car wash on the Fosse near Newark and was discussing the weather with the owner. I asked him what the weather was like where he came from. ‘Same as here”, he said, ‘I come from Leicester’. ‘No’, I said, ‘What’s it like where you were born?’ ‘I was born in Leicester’ he replied. Quickly had to change the subject! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1