DJ360

How's your day?

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

You don't know me very well do you Beekay?  ;)

I'm trying Col., honestly I'm trying.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

It's true and it's been said before BK  - you are very trying...;)

• Like 1

You know when one of those 'Cruise Missile' type flies get into your house in Summer and you just can't catch the bugger?  "Beerrrzzzz... beerrzzzz. beerrzz....."  There's been one cruising the ground floor all evening, but I resisted using fly spray because it really gets to Mrs Col and I'm not crazy about it mesen.  Anyway..  Mrs Col went to bed so I got the Floret out and stood in the kitchen until the 'Cruise Fly' whizzed past..  then I blasted him with a short burst of Ammo.. just like the Spitfire pilots did in WW2.  It worked!   'Cruise Fly' started to sound like a Lancaster Bomber that had lost one engine..  "Berrzz..ber.. be ber... bes". It would have the odd revival..  " Be be BEERRZZE Ber Beerzzeerr.."  But finally, as all four engines spluttered out,  it sounded like it was buzzing its last.. low down..somewhere in the Dining Room. Then silence.  No doubt the vacuum cleaner will find it.  I suppose that makes me an evil killer.. but I'd rather kill one fly out of zillions for health and hygeine, than kill one Rhino out of a couple of thousand.. just for profit.

Anyway..

First decent day of weather for what seems like years.. and I spent most of it on DIY indoors

Bedroom cleared of all clutter.  Ceiling repainted. Some 'discussion', with Mrs Col as to the new colour for the walls, but in the end I don't really care so long as it's all fresh.

Walls tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I shouldn't really have liked your post about the death of a little creature, but I liked the analogy....

• Like 1

I loved the description of your cruise missile fly, DJ, we have had similar experiences with them ourselves. As I have got older I think I have become softer and  can't bear to deliberately hurt any living thing. BUT, flies I detest and they have to go. I go to great lengths in my home to keep things covered, using those little net type umbrellas over food I have prepared for a meal, to keep insects away. If I have as a last resort had to use spray, I track the fly or insect until it drops, and then with one almighty WAP, put the blighter out of its misery. At least I don't make it suffer any longer than possible. :flyswat:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I should point out that spiders, bees, wasps and moths are all 'assisted off the premises' and I find most insects fascinating.  But big buzzy flies either leave quickly, or face the consequences... :crazy:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I should point out that spiders, bees, wasps and moths are all 'assisted off the premises' and I find most insects fascinating.

Nothing worse than a pesky mosquito droning around in the bedroom just after you have put the light off and are trying to get to sleep.

Some of them here are big enough to have landing lights.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Agree with all comments, I too hate all sorts of flies big or tiny. I have to feed 4 dogs and if they don't eat straightaway I have to pick the food up and cover it or else flies lay their eggs and its thrown away, We have mosquito screens up to the windows but they still get in as soon as we open the doors. The other evening I sat outside and finished up with about 7 bites from mosquitoes, at the moment they are still gentile little nips but later on as it gets warmer (its 34now) and more humid we'd better watch out because they come at you like a dive bomber.My husband teases me as nearly always I have the swatter in my hands. I inspect the bedroom every night.

• Upvote 1

In the summer I'm always aware what might come into my house but tonight it took me by surprise. One of the dogs (the most curious) started to sniff at her water bowl. At first I took no notice but the noise got quite intense and looked to see what it was she was so interested in. It was the little cutout piece at the base of the bowl that had caught her attention. I moved it to refill and there was a lizard underneath. They don't frighten me but it surprised me and there was nothing near that I could grab to cover over , so I put my foot over it to keep it still until I grabbed the dogs biscuits bowl emptied them into a tray and plonked it over the lizard. Eventually got it outside where it scampered off over the wall non the worse for wear after being trodden on. I didn't hurt it if you are thinking how cruel. I usually leave a glass handy as they come in frequently.

• Upvote 1

You keep a glass handy ! Why Nonna, do you offer them a drink before you stomp on ' em ??

Yes I grab a bottle of Barbera and ask them if the vintage is correct and to their taste.

• Like 2

As ‘Hows Your Day’ has developed into a topic on creepy crawlies I’m wondering if anyone can identify this little creature that I found earlier today crawling up a door frame in the house.   I let it go in the garden. 

It was tiny, black with a little red/orange marking. 

3-CFEC418-A32-F-4-B9-A-84-B6-B241-BD80-A

Do you have to pay them to visit you Lizzie ?? Or maybe, your bribing them to leave your premises ?smile2

Think it could be a Mayfly larvae.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Think it could be a Mayfly larvae.

Ok, maybe you’re right.  I’ve been googling and it looks like a ‘ladybug’ but always thought that was the American terminology for our ladybirds.   Also, larvae don’t crawl and have 6 legs ....... do they?  

I got Biology ‘O’ Level  too :crazy:

• Like 1

I had an enormous bumblebee visit this morning, sounded like a Vulcan bomber. Had to put boys in front room as they were trying to catch it. Finally managed to catch it in my spider catching jar and let it go outside. Few minutes later it (or one of its white b*mmed mates) was in again. Went through same procedure but gave it a good talking to and let it go over the fence into my neighbours garden.

Do the different coloured b*ms show what hive they are from I wonder? I do like bees especially bumblebees, always look as if they shouldn’t be able to fly really.

They defy all the laws of aerodynamics SG. Nonna offers 'em a drink and Lizzie bribes em to leave . ;)

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Lizzie, It is what used to be called a "Ladaybird Nigger". It's a ladybird larva and should be placed onto any plant that has greenfly. They are voracious greenfly eaters, scoffing up to 25 aphids per day. A  really good garden insect to have.

13 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Do the different coloured b*ms show what hive they are from I wonder?

Stavertongirl: The diiferent colour bums indicate their species.

On the subject of insects - I found one of these in the garden a couple of years ago. 'er indoors said "Is it shouting "Help me!"

JQwBzOiiEJ_n0eKfGEBLmnfst9Vr9D27KvWRC9pQ

14 minutes ago, Compo said:

Lizzie, It is what used to be called a "Ladaybird Nigger". It's a ladybird larva and should be placed onto any plant that has greenfly. They are voracious greenfly eaters, scoffing up to 25 aphids per day. A  really good garden insect to have.

Thanks Compo, wonder why it had come into the house, no greenfly in here, maybe it had hitched a lift on the dog.  Interesting info, must say I’ve never seen one before, I just placed it gently on the patio so hope it found it’s next meal.  

• Like 1

Day not going too well...have a huge mouth ulcer just inside my bottom lip and my face is swollen.  I was looking forward to a couple of pints in 'spoons 'safto, too.

• Like 1

Mam always put table salt on a mouth ulcer, stings like a bugger for a few minutes but actually seem to work.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LizzieM said:

As ‘Hows Your Day’ has developed into a topic on creepy crawlies I’m wondering if anyone can identify this little creature that I found earlier today crawling up a door frame in the house.   I let it go in the garden. 

3-CFEC418-A32-F-4-B9-A-84-B6-B241-BD80-A

Looks a little like the insects we have but ours are bright red. They seem to all gather together and try to cover the wall. Shall have to look closer at them when they are about.